What is the Future of phpBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Random American

Re: What is the Future of phpBB?

Post by Random American »

david63 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:41 am
Mick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:56 am Personally I don’t understand the constant clamour for new versions just because it’s been six months since the last one.
The first sentence of the opening post clearly stated that this topic is not about new versions.
Exactly, and his frustration has nothing to do about new versions either, but rather mostly the community itself.
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

Random American wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:01 pm
I know a forum owner thinking of moving to Xenforo citing his dislike for the community here. He did not like the judgements made by some members of this community about site customizations and how new ideas tend to be ignored.
Moving to paid software just because of the support forum is a bit over the top.

phpBB does everything that it promises to do in the docs, so it's not like they are not keeping their promise.

In terms of ideas, a lot don't get implemented, maybe that's because it would take a lot of work to do it or it could be because a lot of the ideas are something to turn phpBB into a social media site or something that only a few people may use,

I think one of the advantages of this software is that it's not overloaded with features that people don't want.

There's a wanted section to for those wanting to pay someone to do a job and plenty of trusty people on here to do the jobs, although it's a shame there isn't a section for people to advertise their services as having posted in the wanted section, a couple of the replies were not from trusty sources, they'd signed up purely to send private messages in reply to posts in that forum, where as if members could post an add with their services people could take a quick look at their previous posts to know if they are trusty sources or not.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

GTI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm it's a shame there isn't a section for people to advertise their services
[snip]
a couple of the replies were not from trusty sources, they'd signed up purely to send private messages in reply to posts in that forum
Those users would most likely post their "services" in that forum as well.

We always encourage users that would like to offer their services to take advantage of the signature feature. I could name a few users who already do this. 🙂
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Random American

GTI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pmMoving to paid software just because of the support forum is a bit over the top.
Agree with this, even though I agree with him about parts of the community. It's a better idea just to create a second English support board and community, similar to what has been done by those who still use phpBB2, or try to make changes to this one.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what , exactly , is supposed to be wrong with this support board.?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Random American

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:02 pm what , exactly , is supposed to be wrong with this support board.?
The board itself? Nothing, but rather as OP said, how the community is stalling and becoming more ridged and exclusive; or at the very least, parts of it are.

All I was saying is that I did not think it was worth getting rid of phpBB over. Even the creation of an alternative support board would be more productive than that. Some of that person's complaints about the community are valid though.

Kailey wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:15 am
GTI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm it's a shame there isn't a section for people to advertise their services
[snip]
a couple of the replies were not from trusty sources, they'd signed up purely to send private messages in reply to posts in that forum
Those users would most likely post their "services" in that forum as well.

We always encourage users that would like to offer their services to take advantage of the signature feature. I could name a few users who already do this. 🙂
This is certainly not important, and it does not matter to me if it is implemented or not, but I don't think having such a forum would be a bad idea. Just have a disclaimer that phpBB.com does not vet those services, so buyer beware. Block bots and guests from viewing the forum to prevent search engine optimization, require a minimum number of posts to post there, require the services to be phpBB related, and have posts there not contribute to the official post count.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

GTI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm ...
There's a wanted section to for those wanting to pay someone to do a job and plenty of trusty people on here to do the jobs, although it's a shame there isn't a section for people to advertise their services as having posted in the wanted section, a couple of the replies were not from trusty sources,...
I had PM-ed you about that possibility (and advised to check that member's post history) but you didn't read my PM (and after a month or so I deleted it) (and for the record: that's all I did - I didn't offer any services).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

GTI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm Moving to paid software just because of the support forum is a bit over the top.
If people want to pay for something they can have for free here where is the problem?
Some do it well for styles.

However, it is not the mass of people leaving the phpBB environment that will be a problem for the future of the community.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

ssl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:03 pm If people want to pay for something they can have for free here where is the problem?
I don't think there is a big offer of free extensions lately. I for example only offer those that have been paid for by my clients if they have deliberately approved their public distribution, otherwise you could forget about at least 80% of everything we have done... which doesn't seem to me to be a small thing in terms of relevance - I mean major extensions that have brought vigour to phpBB by being really important and requested by many for many years.

Also, what's the point of styles if there are no extensions or the extensions can't be used with those styles?
What would these designers be doing if there were no extensions giving phpBB gas, do you think phpBB would be rated as complete without them? Needless to argue.

This abandonment of phpBB has been blatantly obvious for years, and is now very pronounced. We, the old ones, are the ones who are aware of this and have forwarded our ideas, but they have all remained, let's say, unanswered, dismissed with catchphrases or something similar.
ssl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:03 pm However, it is not the mass of people leaving the phpBB environment that will be a problem for the future of the community.
This assertion, believe me, is simply laughable, I wonder where you got your data.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

So if you ask me aboout the future of phpBB, well...
if no changes will be made will look like a steady, determined, inescapable and fast downhill descent into memory. Not that I'm happy about it, but I had to say it and I said it.

░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░░░██
███░░░░░██░░░░██░██████████
████████░░░░░░████░░░░░░░██
████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██████████
████░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██░░██████████
████░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░░█
████░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░████░░█
█████████░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░█
███░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░██
░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░██
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░██
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░██
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░██
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
ssl

Post by ssl »

3Di wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:18 pm This assertion, believe me, is simply laughable, I wonder where you got your data.
Well laugh, it's free :lol:

Obviously I do not have your hindsight from what you have experienced before in terms of presence on the forum. On the other hand, this help forum is not deserted in terms of affluence

3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

ssl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:39 pm Well laugh, it's free
ssl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:39 pm Obviously I do not have your hindsight from what you have experienced before in terms of presence on the forum. On the other hand, this help forum is not deserted in terms of affluence
If you are estimating between 2 and 30 users including BOTS online then you are a long way from what phpBB used to be, when there were hundreds of real users online. I wonder what I'm doing here discussing such things with you, with all due respect. Rather if you want to be factual based on what you've posted I would expect you to debate the issues I've posted and not just read a rather pointless joke, in my opinion. Not constructive and bringing no value to the discussion.
ssl

Post by ssl »

Kiss Marco relax and have a good holiday
To stay polite

bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

Personally, I feel like everything has gone downhill since 3.0.
At that time, there were also hundreds of modifications. Now you can be happy that validations are carried out every few months.
Many of the former hard core (team members) have already left.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

olympus8000.JPG

Now

2021-12-19 20_43_25-(1) phpBB • Community Home — Mozilla Firefox.png

Return to “phpBB Discussion”