More information about this failure has been logged in the error log.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
ChrisGreaves
Name: Chris Greaves

More information about this failure has been logged in the error log.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
I ran this search on search.php and received this error message "Sorry, search could not be performed. More information about this failure has been logged in the error log."
Please and thank you: where do I find the error log for this phpbb.com site?
I assume that the error log will give me a hint as to why my search request failed.
Thanks
Chris Greaves
david63

Re: More information about this failure has been logged in the error log.

Post by david63 »

Unless you are an Admin on that site you will not have access to the error log. If you are an Admin then you will find the logs at ACP > Maintenance > Forum logs
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:44 am Please and thank you: where do I find the error log for this phpbb.com site?
Only administrators can see that, so you won't :). However, looking at it, your query is invalid. You can't have a search term with only a negative parameter (Which the - is), so you will need to add something with the negative parameter, or leave the negative parameter out.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

david63 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:55 am Unless you are an Admin on that site you will not have access to the error log. If you are an Admin then you will find the logs at ACP > Maintenance > Forum logs
Thank you David. The search was conducted on this site.
I have not seen this error message before on the other four sites on which I perform Advanced Searches.
That is why I asked (about the message) in this forum.
Cheers
Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Paul wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:58 am
ChrisGreaves wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:44 am Please and thank you: where do I find the error log for this phpbb.com site?
Only administrators can see that, so you won't :). However, looking at it, your query is invalid. You can't have a search term with only a negative parameter (Which the - is), so you will need to add something with the negative parameter, or leave the negative parameter out.
Paul, thank you for this reply.

(1) The error message then is unhelpful in that (a) it doesn't give me a hint in what is wrong with my Advanced Search and (b) it tells me to go look at something I'm not allowed to see. Is that correct? (If I sound grumpy I am weathering a 130Km/hr gale tonight!)

(2) I am glad that you described the syntax to me. I am busy exploring "Advanced Search" and documenting what Ii can find out about it. I can't ever recall reading (anywhere) about not being allowed to specify a -ve term in isolation. I take your word for it that that is true.

To my logical mind I expected to be allowed to negate anything; that is, on a Model Railway site I expected to be able to search for any posts as long as they did not include "steam" (or "diesel" depending on one's age)
On an MSOffice BB I have had problems with the negation symbol, and there we are sometimes advised to forget phpBB search and use Google's site: search.

My example was a simple one, but I am experimenting with Advanced Search on the phpBB sites to which I belong, and in each case starting with a simple search (like the one I tried) and working towards more complex searches.

Again, thank you for that explanation.

(3) The user sites seem to have a stripped-down version of the phpBB User Guide; typically just the CAT/DOG examples.
Do you know of documentation with a deeper explanation of Advanced Search?

This week I downloaded the PHP source code and began reading that for any clues.

Cheers
Chris
Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

We are using a different search backend as most forums for performance reasons, that's why you most likely didn't get the error at other forums.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Paul wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:34 pm We are using a different search backend as most forums for performance reasons, that's why you most likely didn't get the error at other forums.
Thank you Paul.
I learn something new every day!
Cheers
chris

Return to “phpBB Discussion”