Moved topics and shadow topics: topic details are not synchronised

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Moved topics and shadow topics: topic details are not synchronised

Post by warmweer »

Currently when posting in a shadow topic or in the original topic, topic details such as last poster and last post time (perhaps also post_count) are only updated in 1 topic.
The consequence of this is that the topic sorting order only functions as expected in the forum with the topic with the updated topic details.
Currently I can't come up with a justification for this so it's either a bug or an oversight or intended behaviour.

If it's intended behaviour, what is the intention/purpose/reasoning behind this?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Moved topics and shadow topics: topic details are not synchronised

Post by Brf »

I assume it is because there is no backlink from the topic to its shadow. If you post in the topic, its shadow would still have the old data. I was always under the assumption that the shadow's purpose was so the posters could find the topic's new home and the shadow would eventually drop off the bottom of its old forum's topiclist.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:01 pm I assume it is because there is no backlink from the topic to its shadow. If you post in the topic, its shadow would still have the old data. I was always under the assumption that the shadow's purpose was so the posters could find the topic's new home and the shadow would eventually drop off the bottom of its old forum's topiclist.
OK, there's a purpose and logic in that.

I guess there was sufficient interest in that feature to code it that way (and I see no reason to remove that feature).

Currently a topic can be copied, moved or moved with shadow topic, but no possibility to create synchronous topics (a term I just invented to cater for a shadow topic with updated topic details (same last_post_time and last_poster) so that the sort_order remains consistent in the forum with the shadow topic.

I might just post an Idea (for that feature).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Brf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:01 pm I was always under the assumption that the shadow's purpose was so the posters could find the topic's new home and the shadow would eventually drop off the bottom of its old forum's topiclist.
That's always been my understanding and usage as well. Rather than drop off the bottom of the old forum's topiclist, we've configured auto-pruning of shadow topics after a couple of weeks, which is when we figure the usefulness of the shadow topic has dropped to nil.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “phpBB Discussion”