Quick Reply On This Site

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
GTI
Name: Laura

Quick Reply On This Site

Post by GTI »

Is there a particular reason why quick reply is enabled in some forums on this site but not others?

As an examole... In 'styles discussion' it is on, in 'extensions in development' it is off.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
david63

Re: Quick Reply On This Site

Post by david63 »

That is a question that has been alluding us for a long time, along with why you cannot add attachments to some fora but you can to others.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I’ve never really got my head around the point of quick reply anyway. As well as that there are requests here to add smilies, quotes and attachments to quick reply which tends to make it even more pointless in my view.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
GTI

Post by GTI »

Mick wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:04 am I’ve never really got my head around the point of quick reply anyway
Do you not think it's easier to read a topic and then be able to just start writing your reply at the bottom of the view topic page?

A bit like when text messages on mobiles phones evolved into threaded views so the user can just read the text and type the reply on the same screen

Smileys would be an OK addition to it but these days most people just use emojis on their phones, the addition of attachments would take the 'quickness' out of it though so I wouldn't see the point that

It's perfect for posters who don't use the forum smilies or BBCodes in their posts though

I'm surprised there isn't a 'Quick Topic' extension out that lets users start a topic from the view forum page 😍 😍
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

GTI wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:02 pm A bit like when text messages on mobiles phones evolved into threaded views so the user can just read the text and type the reply on the same screen
Comparing forums/topics to text messages is sort of like apples and oranges, isn't it? When I think of forums/topics, I think of detailed, well thought posts, not short little bursts of text which is what I attribute QR to. ;)
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
My little corner of the world, where I sometimes post things documented from my job.
GTI

Post by GTI »

I don't see the problem with comparing it to a text message, these days text messages are free so people don't really send short ones any more to save credit, some texts are 4 or 5 x 160 characters long 😂😂

It would depend on what your forum subject is about, if it is a support forum - most of the topics are probably long

Mine is based on a classic comedy sitcom show - most of the posters write 3 or 4 lines per post or post links to video clips and articles etc, then the moderators edit the article links into quotes or copy the videos later to ensure there's no dead links on the forum, the posters who post longer topics most likely do use the full text editor

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

GTI wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:02 pmDo you not think it's easier to read a topic and then be able to just start writing your reply at the bottom of the view topic page?
Not really, no.
    " - Harmony Cobel
GTI

Post by GTI »

Fair play, differing opinions are the beauty of life, it's usefulness obviously made sense to a phpBB developer at some point though otherwise it wouldn't be included in the software... as we all know how hard it is for people to get an idea implemented in to the core.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

There was a huge controversy about this before it was incorporated into phpBB. Some people called it "Quick Spam".
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:04 am I’ve never really got my head around the point of quick reply anyway. As well as that there are requests here to add smilies, quotes and attachments to quick reply which tends to make it even more pointless in my view.
That's really a chicken or the egg? I don't use quick reply because it doesn't have those features. Mostly because of the bbcodes.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I like to ‘preview’ posts as well mainly to check that no-one has already replied, even though I do forget at times, but to do that with quick reply you have to go to the full editor anyway.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

There are many times where a simple one line is all that is required to respond to a post and it is easier to use the QR for that.

I think that this is a subject where there are two camps - neither of which is right and neither of which is wrong and we will all have to agree to disagree.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Absolutely👏🏼
    " - Harmony Cobel
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Post by danieltj »

I think quick reply should be enabled for all forums. If you don’t want to use it, you don’t have to. I think that’s where you appease both camps.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

or, as it is currently default, have it off by default and the admin can turn it on for all forums or only
ones they want it for like here at phpbb.com

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”