What is Happening with Chameleon?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
komandar

Re: What is Happening with Chameleon?

Post by komandar »

Marc wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:00 am
First of all: I was one of the moderators of phpbb.de and also involved in the development of phpBB many years ago which is why I presume this judgment here :-)

I think the current phpBB has not only a problem with the frontend.
I myself have thought about it several times in the last few months and also wanted to start getting back into forum development. Unfortunately, I can't find the current "philosophy" of the board as it used to be. It seems to me that by hook or by crook they are trying not to cause any breaking changes so that plugins or other technology will continue to work.

Also technologies (e.g. the wiki which was outdated and now finally deactivated) are kept active before thinking about replacing them with more modern ones.

Maybe you should think about "cleaning up" the staff and recruit new developers. One reason why I rather dislike the phpBB code currently is that the code base contains a lot of self-built code instead of relying on components from established frameworks like Symfony, Laravel or Yii. I would also throw overboard legacy support (PHP <8.0; anything Bootstrap (frontend) doesn't support), etc . And furthermore, as mentioned above, risk that with a new codebase, the plugins all have to be rewritten as well. Along with technologies like phpstan, phpmd, phpcs and a clean CI/CD it would certainly move forward with phpBB again.

Don't get me wrong Marc, I think it's great that you are still actively programming on phpBB as far as your time allows but if I look at the commit history in Github you are one of the few active developers but currently phpBB is just vegitating and other forum software like Woltlab (commercial) or SMF are taking users from phpBB to themselves.

And now hit me for my statements :D
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

It would be a good idea if phpBB, just built its own style from normal html and css. :ugeek: , hold on whilst I think about this… oh ok 🥶

Sorry I fell a sleep. Html and css is basic browser technology why complicate it?
@ The Chief Medical Officers guideline for men is that: You are safest not to drink regularly more than 14 units per week.
- I drank that today++ :lol: 🍺
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Post by danieltj »

Steve wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:36 pm It would be a good idea if phpBB, just built its own style from normal html and css. :ugeek: , hold on whilst I think about this… oh ok 🥶

Sorry I fell a sleep. Html and css is basic browser technology why complicate it?
I agree. A framework or library is great but it’s honestly just self indulgent to use something like Tailwind on a default style that 99.99% of people will change.

I’ve made plenty of websites with HTML and CSS with a few lines of vanilla JavaScript for show / hide stuff. You don’t need to complicate things and for some reason, developers just live to do that.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

danieltj wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:35 ama default style that 99.99% of people will change
99.99%??

That’s practically everyone and it’s not true, where did you get that figure from?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Post by danieltj »

Mick wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am
danieltj wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:35 ama default style that 99.99% of people will change
99.99%??

That’s practically everyone and it’s not true, where did you get that figure from?
I pulled it out of thin air.

The vast majority of forums use a customised style. The absence of proof doesn’t inherently mean the supposed fact is untrue. 😏
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/w3css_templates.asp

W3.CSS Website Templates

We have created some responsive W3.CSS website templates for you to use.

You are free to modify, save, share, and use them in all your projects.
@ The Chief Medical Officers guideline for men is that: You are safest not to drink regularly more than 14 units per week.
- I drank that today++ :lol: 🍺
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Steve wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:36 pm It would be a good idea if phpBB, just built its own style from normal html and css.
danieltj wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:35 am I’ve made plenty of websites with HTML and CSS with a few lines of vanilla JavaScript for show / hide stuff. You don’t need to complicate things
The reason this topic exists is because the front-end dev team tried this approach already and it's not working.

A framework allows the software developers to continue progressing without reliance on front-end developers
halil16
Name: Halil

Post by halil16 »

halil16 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:42 am
Marc wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:00 am having push notifications in phpBB
Wonderful! I was trying to get a paid extension for that too. Then i have to wait.

It is not expected to operate or develop like a company in general, I suppose. However, phpBB is a great community. However, the slow development makes people tired. Hard work.
Would you tell? Will this come in the very distant future? Because push notifications are really a necessity nowadays. Few people check their emails anymore.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mick wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am
99.99%??

While that "statistic" is certainly not accurate, it is true that many board owners do decide to change the default style to something more to their liking. Some even go out of their way to create their own style or even hiring others to do it for them.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:26 am
Mick wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am 99.99%??

While that "statistic" is certainly not accurate, it is true that many board owners do decide to change the default style to something more to their liking. Some even go out of their way to create their own style or even hiring others to do it for them.
I think if the Chameleon style allows customization from the panel as much as needed, it will be a style that everyone will use, like Xenforo's default style. In 2033... 😭
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

halil16 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:31 amI think if the Chameleon style allows customization from the panel as much as needed, it will be a style that everyone will use, like Xenforo's default style. In 2033... 😭
From what I have been told by some extension developers, the back-end is not even close to being ready to handle the new style and the required changes would break pretty much all extensions in such a way that the issue would not be easily rectified.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:39 am
halil16 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:31 amI think if the Chameleon style allows customization from the panel as much as needed, it will be a style that everyone will use, like Xenforo's default style. In 2033... 😭
From what I have been told by some extension developers, the back-end is not even close to being ready to handle the new style and the required changes would break pretty much all extensions in such a way that the issue would not be easily rectified.

I think it will be worth it:
https://codepen.io/hanakin/full/rrOEyO

And many things seem to come by default. extension writers can inspire greater things.
I'm learning English...
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

halil16 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:24 pm I think it will be worth it
Well.. Template syntax conversion fully into twig.. That is most important thing for extension developers.
How much it may or may not affect extensions, is hard to tell.. Only thing that is known, is that styles folder structure may change & adm folder (may be renamed) seems to be moved into all folder.
One more thing that can be said about it, is that html files will need a lot of edits, because of new coding style rules/standards & updated code.
I think this will answer some questions that are connected to style/theme (+ there may be php side changes as well.. For example extensions that modify username output).

Don't know what you mean by "come by default" & "extension writers can inspire.."
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

I'm guessing that he means that extension writers can inspire greater features in the core, unless I'm missing something obvious.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

Sorry for my english translation. For example, some features such as mentions and likes will be defaulted. I wanted to say that the new style and other needs will inspire or give ideas to extension authors for more different and beautiful features. I don't have the coding knowledge to write extensions or themes yet. Moreover, I understand your concern. I also think phpBB will consider this or do something to make it easier.
I'm learning English...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”