What is Happening with Chameleon?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
david63

What is Happening with Chameleon?

Post by david63 »

The question has to be asked - what is happening with Chameleon? I would ask it of "Team" members only they do not respond.

Chameleon was/is intended to be the flagship feature of phpBB 4 but appears to have stalled.

This whole process has been underway for over four years now (the first post about it was in February 2018 - viewtopic.php?f=691&t=2485796) and there is still no sign whatsoever of this ever coming to fruition, certainly not in the foreseeable future. Not only has the framework not progressed for several months (https://github.com/hanakin/base-l which incidentally was started six years ago), apart from some minor tweaks and tests, there is no sign of anyone actually creating a new style based on this framework, nor any of the other work that will be required, such as re-writing all of the .js, moving away from jQuery to whatever other library is decided upon, re-factoring phpBB's core code to remove all html - all of which will have an impact on extensions, but it appears that does not even enter the equation at all.

In the time it has taken to get here (wherever here is) the existing css frameworks could have been evaluated, a compromised reached and the style could be almost, if not, finished by now.

Now I know that the argument against using any of the existing frameworks is that none of them suit phpBB's current requirements and they contain too much bloat. I find it somewhat strange that these existing css frameworks are suitable for a multitude of sites/applications but not for phpBB! Also is anyone saying that Symfony, Twig, Doctrine, jQuery and other libraries do not contain bloat yet phpBB is using them?

I can also recall (but cannot locate it) a post some years ago saying that phpBB should in future use existing frameworks that are maintained by others and allow the phpBB Development Team to concentrate on developing phpBB - which leads to the question as to who will maintain this "custom" css framework going forward?

What started out as possibly a good idea (even though it was all about one man's ambitions) has turned into a joke that has now become a farce. There is no way that if this was a commercial operation that such a situation would be allowed to develop and yes I know about the "we are all volunteers and do it in our spare time" argument, but that is even more of a reason to not have even started going down this route.

I am just wondering where this project is going and when/if it may ever see the light of day.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Re: What is Happening with Chameleon?

Post by danieltj »

I have no insider knowledge, but from what I can see publicly it seems as though the person leading it hasn’t been very active recently and there’s only one person on the ‘front end dev team’ so it’s unsurprising that development has stalled.

I’ve always said this. Contributing to phpBB is hard and the on boarding process is long and difficult. I’m trying to get more involved in the project but it’s a slow process and means that it blocks some people from getting involved.

I suspect the status of this new style is ‘it’s in development and will see progress when it arrives’.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

If Chamelion is to fulfil its ambition to be an in-house framework, it needs a team of at least 3-4 skilled front-end developers working on it. It is too much work for one person who has to context-switch and find the energy after their day job.

The problem is that skilled developers are focussed on maintaining their commercial offerings. There is no incentive for volunteer here.

Forget about making Chameleon look pretty, this is the Wordpress default theme. Focus a default theme on being functional and style authors will take care of the pretty.

CSS frameworks have never been better. I agree it's time to utilise them.
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

Chameleon is only one of the phpbb 4 project is stopped, and many pr's is stopped in github. so u should give up about phpbb 4 until 2030 , it is a fact

today is different , people only work with money. the age of working free is over.

if phpbb have a plan for future , phpbb users in this community should donate some bodies to dev it for us. another suggestion from me is telling "Elon Musk" to buy phpbb if we want see a big change here :D

for now phpbb 3.3 series only will be dev.
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

I'll admit I'm not the most qualified to speak technically for the Chameleon project, especially after being away for so long. Nonetheless, here's my input.
PlanetStyles.net wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:08 am it needs a team of at least 3-4 skilled front-end developers working on it. It is too much work for one person
I fully agree here! However, you pointed out something interesting as an answer to this concern:
PlanetStyles.net wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:08 am The problem is that skilled developers are focussed on maintaining their commercial offerings. There is no incentive for volunteer here.
If by incentive you mean monetary compensation, then you have a fair point. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to motivate people to volunteer to the project. For me personally, I volunteered because I enjoy doing it. Maybe I'm naive.

As for Meis2M, :shock:
Meis2M wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:04 am so u should give up about phpbb 4 until 2030 , it is a fact
Interesting "fact". Can you quote your sources? Because as far as I'm aware, nobody on the team, or even a developer (who would be best qualified to comment) has come out to say that phpBB 4 won't be released until 2030. I also don't understand your rush for phpBB4 to be completed. Is there some feature you're dying to get your hands on that phpBB 3.3 does not offer?
Meis2M wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:04 am today is different , people only work with money. the age of working free is over
I'm sure you will agree that working and volunteering are two completely different things. ;)
Meis2M wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:04 am another suggestion from me is telling "Elon Musk" to buy phpbb if we want see a big change here :D
Oh please, spare me the twitter bullshit. :roll:
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
david63

Post by david63 »

tbackoff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:54 am Is there some feature you're dying to get your hands on that phpBB 3.3 does not offer?
A "one click" auto update facility and the ability to install extensions via a catalogue (packigist)

But this has nothing to do with Chameleon
PlanetStyles.net wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:08 am The problem is that skilled developers are focussed on maintaining their commercial offerings. There is no incentive for volunteer here.
Which leads to the point as to whether existing style developers will be prepared to invest even more time into converting/upgrading their current styles to the new framework.
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

To get the style or phpBB development extremely active again..
I’d suggest… a donate button. Or a file downloads that costs 50p(example)

It would be good to my split this post from the original discussion.
I know making paying downloads will go against the license provided by phpBB .

But asking some one too verify there email by a small cost, could prevent many automated downloads by bots and spammers.

phpBB could easily refunded… if the person requesting the download .. ticks a box. If not hey Bonus.

Any charity donations could pay developers for the continued support for the project.
@ The Chief Medical Officers guideline for men is that: You are safest not to drink regularly more than 14 units per week.
- I drank that today++ :lol: 🍺
dbrewood
Name: Daron Brewood

Post by dbrewood »

Darned good idea!
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Post by danieltj »

Steve wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:39 pm To get the style or phpBB development extremely active again..
I’d suggest… a donate button. Or a file downloads that costs 50p(example)

It would be good to my split this post from the original discussion.
I know making paying downloads will go against the license provided by phpBB .

But asking some one too verify there email by a small cost, could prevent many automated downloads by bots and spammers.

phpBB could easily refunded… if the person requesting the download .. ticks a box. If not hey Bonus.

Any charity donations could pay developers for the continued support for the project.
Payment processing fees entered the chat
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

tbackoff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:54 am I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to motivate people to volunteer to the project.
Not necessary if a CSS framework is adopted.

Can't speak to back-end motivations.
halil16
Name: Halil

Post by halil16 »

In my opinion, loading everything on a theme and having high expectations in this direction can lead to frustration. Wouldn't it be nice if every single component could be improved or enhanced instead? For example, the PM feature in Chameleon style is very nice. (At least as shown in the pictures). I think it should be added step by step and solidly with this type of innovation. Then just CSS should be enough for the new style.

If there was a donate button it would definitely work. On the other hand, it is also possible to install styles and extensions with one click, including paid styles and phpBB getting a commission from it.

But aren't we missing the point here: phpBB is free software. Such events can lead him to a commercial place.

However, at least sponsored links to phpbb.com can be obtained. For example, there are many people who do business for money. They can advertise.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
david63

Post by david63 »

We are now ten days later and no comment from those involved with this project (probably due to the fact that they have not visited the board in that time and in one case for over a month) the assumption has to be that this is now dead and that no new style is in development for phpBB4 (or any other version).

So the next question, as we are not waiting for the new style, is - what is the delay in releasing phpBB4?
David

Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M »

that was predictable for answering nothing here :D

but there are 26 pr remain to complete for phpbb4
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pulls?q= ... F%94%AE%22

and most of them are inactive,

as i mentioned before only elon musk can save phpbb :lol: (joking)

in fact the number of phpbb developers are limited and most of them are busy in real life, so phpbb4 not coming soon.
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Received multiple reports on multiple posts about going off topic, so they have been removed.
david63 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:07 am We are now ten days later and no comment
We are aware of this topic. :)
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
My little corner of the world, where I sometimes post things documented from my job.
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

Kailey wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:31 pm We are aware of this topic
I know. Most likely, nobody expected the opposite.
www.der-räuchertreff.de phpBB 3.3.x php 7.4

Return to “phpBB Discussion”