Does anyone recommend any VPS services that take bitcoin?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
MedricCedric

Does anyone recommend any VPS services that take bitcoin?

Post by MedricCedric »

Also, is it possible to just run Phpbb on a raspberry pi or home server instead of paying for hosting?

Or will it be very slow?
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: Does anyone recommend any VPS services that take bitcoin?

Post by Kailey »

MedricCedric wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:23 pm Does anyone recommend any VPS services that take bitcoin?
We cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk.
MedricCedric wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:23 pm Also, is it possible to just run Phpbb on a raspberry pi or home server instead of paying for hosting?

Or will it be very slow?
Running a home server comes with its own set of challenges. It's much easier (and possibly cheaper in some cases) to go with a good hosting provider.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes it would be slow depending on your internet connection. also, you take the risk of letting people in to your home computers if you do not know how to setup a web server properly.
also, many internet providers do not allow their customers to run web servers using their connections and might shut you down.

basically not really a good idea.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Kailey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:21 amWe cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk
If you have a search (or visit the above site) you’ll find there are many reputable hosts that offer the first twelve months free including domain registration or for very little.
MedricCedric wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:23 pmis it possible to just run Phpbb on a raspberry pi
Apparently so yes but I doubt you’ll find many experts here at phpBB. There are a couple of topics on the subject see here and a forum dedicated to Pi usage here. Typing phpbb in the search on that site brings up even more information.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “phpBB Discussion”