First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
lanesharon

Post by lanesharon »

Just installing, but I am definitely impressed with the 'walk-through' of the install and the features. Documentation is going to be really important, because this is definitely full of features, requiring twists and turns in the ACP. Preliminary test usage, before going live, is also going to save people a lot of post-installation headaches and many of the "It doesn't work right" posts on the forums here.

I just wanted to point out one thing, while I am talking about this. I saw a lot of mods on phpBB2 that were done for no apparent reason to me. Those same features where actually resident in the existing system; it just required a little reading of the documentation, and maybe setting multiple points up correctly. Keep in mind people, the more mods you install, the harder it is to maintain and keep secure.

As soon as I get a minute, I intend to walk myself through the volumes of documentation on Olympus. They seem well written and understandable, from my initial 'look-see'. Hope to see them completed in this manner.

Overall Initial Rating- Great Job :!:
cwallace

Post by cwallace »

it has an all around thumbs up from the staff...I just wish it would be ready soon...:)

Will be a GREAT addition to the site..

Chris
http://www.FortWayneMusic.com - Your source for the best in local music and entertainment.
Funk Theory

Post by Funk Theory »

Installed it as a test forum and really simple to use, so far no errors, cant complain. Few different ways of doing things, eg i denied myself permissions, reapplied them but its beta so im testing as you guys are.

Thanks, yet again phpbb is tops :wink: .
Drpot

Great

Post by Drpot »

looking forward to use it!! nice Work!

:P
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

lanesharon wrote: As soon as I get a minute, I intend to walk myself through the volumes of documentation on Olympus. They seem well written and understandable, from my initial 'look-see'. Hope to see them completed in this manner.

Er, I hope you're not referring to http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... index.html

It looks elaborate from the TOC, but a lot of it is just placeholders at the moment. The only part that looks anything like finished is the quick start guide. I'm sure it'll come together, just wanted to spare you a disappointment ;)
murray_elliot

Post by murray_elliot »

Looks great! Only one thing missing from my perspective is the ability to mass-delete users (as I demonstrated here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=424118) _ I think this is a serious omission given the number of spam registrations which come in to every board I use, every day - this mod really helps me keep the "spam count" low.

Other than that - excellent work!! You guys are the best. :D
david63

Post by david63 »

murray_elliot wrote: Looks great! Only one thing missing from my perspective is the ability to mass-delete users (as I demonstrated here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=424118) _ I think this is a serious omission given the number of spam registrations which come in to every board I use, every day - this mod really helps me keep the "spam count" low.

Other than that - excellent work!! You guys are the best. :D
phpbb3 is feature locked.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

You are aware of the prune users feature aren't you? ;)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
OTP

Post by OTP »

Will the current forums be upgradable and when will it be released, with full support
david63

Post by david63 »

OTP wrote: Will the current forums be upgradable and when will it be released, with full support
There will be an upgrade path from the basic phpbb2 (plus the attachment mod) and it will be released when it is released.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
Ron2K
Name: Kieron Thwaites

Post by Ron2K »

I've been playing around with Beta 2 for the past few weeks - still learning all the new features, but what I've seen has greatly impressed me. I'll only upgrade my boards when it goes gold - can't wait for the day when that happens.
Darkstryder

Post by Darkstryder »

I have just installed it myself and I have to say I love it! It makes setting forum permissions easier and hassle free. I like the fact that you can specify permissions for those annoying bots too.

I cannot wait for the final release.

I have it live on my website...http://forums.dynamic-studios.com

Kudos to the development team... :D
Never presume a man does not have ninjas at his disposal.
david63

Post by david63 »

Darkstryder wrote: I have just installed it myself and I have to say I love it! It makes setting forum permissions easier and hassle free. I like the fact that you can specify permissions for those annoying bots too.

I cannot wait for the final release.

I have it live on my website...http://forums.dynamic-studios.com

Kudos to the development team... :D
This is a beta release and is not intended to be used on a live site. I suggest you read http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=400287 especially
We will not support modifications, custom code/style additions or any users using the beta packages within a live environment.
Also there will be no upgrade from beta to RC or gold so you will either be stuck with a bugged version that may have security issues or you will loose all of your data when you upgrade.
David
[geck]

Post by [geck] »

david63 wrote: This is a beta release and is not intended to be used on a live site.

yeah, but that doesn't mean you can't, does it? :wink:

i just upped it to my server, now let's see if it can get me away from wbb lite :roll:

EDIT:

looking good so far - way better than 2.x (that's not hard anyways :roll: )
david63

Post by david63 »

[geck] wrote:
david63 wrote:This is a beta release and is not intended to be used on a live site.

yeah, but that doesn't mean you can't, does it? :wink:

i just upped it to my server, now let's see if it can get me away from wbb lite :roll:
No it does not mean that you cannot but what it does mean is that you will not be able to upgrade to the next beta/RG/Gold version, you will be running software that contains bugs and maybe has security issues and you will not get any support if you have problems.
David

Return to “phpBB Discussion”