First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
catoro

Simply beautiful

Post by catoro » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:34 pm

I have been using phpBB sense inception; I have always loved it. I have to say I did migrate to vBulletin for a gaming community, but phpbb 3.0 has such improvements that really shine. I am especially excited about the admin functionality boosts such as user/group permissions.

Awesome job phpbb team, you all should be proud of an outstanding job and I cannot wait until 3.0 is final.

Like others after playing with v3.0b4 I have trouble going back to the 2x versions. I think I am just going to migrate my current 2x forums to the beta and tough out any issues- user volume is always a good way to find problems!

again awesome job and thanks for being such a true community supporter!

catoro

Post by catoro » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:48 pm

EXreaction wrote:
Explore wrote:There are some stuff I am disappointed with.
First of all, no multi quote??
No rating/warning system? Or Karma system.
These stuff are very needed.
No thread ratings?
I almost think it is disturbing, if you wanna compete with these commercial forums, then include those features!
Also AJAX would be very appreciated.
I am otherwise happy with many features added.

Multi quote is included(if you talking about what I am thinking of).

Warning system is included.

Karma is not nor will ever be(according to the devs) included in the base package.

I think you don't understand something here. They are not trying to compete with other software, if they were, phpBB would not be free.

AJAX was not even around when phpBB3 was started, and it is feature locked, so maybe for 3.2 or 3.4. ;)

I will have to strongly disagree with the statement I bolded. AJAX has been around much longer then you seem think, as AJAX is just a term. The techniques that AJAX encapsulates has been in use for ages, it's just the label "AJAX" you may be so newly introduced to.

agent00shoe

Re: Simply beautiful

Post by agent00shoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:07 pm

catoro wrote: I think I am just going to migrate my current 2x forums to the beta and tough out any issues- user volume is always a good way to find problems!

Whatever you do, don't ask for support when you do this. If one more person asks for help with their live installation, some people here will have a stroke. :wink: :lol:

matthewf

Re: Simply beautiful

Post by matthewf » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:24 pm

agent00shoe wrote:
catoro wrote: I think I am just going to migrate my current 2x forums to the beta and tough out any issues- user volume is always a good way to find problems!

Whatever you do, don't ask for support when you do this. If one more person asks for help with their live installation, some people here will have a stroke. :wink: :lol:

not even sure how you are going to migrate the site as there AREN'T any official upgrade scripts available and as you will probably lose all your data by the time the final version is released I really wouldn't bother

catoro

Post by catoro » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:39 pm

Not everything needs an upgrade script thanks- and I never once expected to receive support, unlike most I can read the descriptions and stickies.

I will evaluate the new application and database structure and migrating the data shouldn't be too hard, just maybe tedious. This is a good way, as what was said on the beta download page, to get myself familiar with the new version.

Thanks for the constructive warnings though (no sarcasm meant)

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:25 pm

catoro wrote: I will have to strongly disagree with the statement I bolded. AJAX has been around much longer then you seem think, as AJAX is just a term. The techniques that AJAX encapsulates has been in use for ages, it's just the label "AJAX" you may be so newly introduced to.

Well, that is somewhat true. :P

But remember, phpBB3 has been feature locked for around 5 years(or something like that).

Explore

Post by Explore » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:43 am

EXreaction wrote:
No thread ratings?
I almost think it is disturbing, if you wanna compete with these commercial forums, then include those features!

Karma is not nor will ever be(according to the devs) included in the base package.

I think you don't understand something here. They are not trying to compete with other software, if they were, phpBB would not be free.

AJAX was not even around when phpBB3 was started, and it is feature locked, so maybe for 3.2 or 3.4. ;)

Why do you doublepost?

Okey, show me how to enable the multi quote buttons then?

Why no Karma system? FOR FUCK SAKE it doesn't have to cost to compete with commercial forums. How to enable the warning system beside each post? Topic ratings?
Explore

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:32 am

Explore wrote:
EXreaction wrote:
No thread ratings?

Why do you doublepost?

Okey, show me how to enable the multi quote buttons then?

Why no Karma system? FOR *beep* SAKE it doesn't have to cost to compete with commercial forums. How to enable the warning system beside each post? Topic ratings?
I suggest you chill. Who said we are competing with anybody? If you want support, don't hijack this topic please.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

WhiteVenomz

Post by WhiteVenomz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:57 pm

Do you guys except any donations or something to keep this website alive, and freee. because this beta is like AMAZING. This must make all the Vbulettin fans feel like c.rap. Keep it free, and good job on everyone who made this.

will_hough
Former Team Member
Name: Will Hough

Post by will_hough » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:21 pm

WhiteVenomz wrote: Do you guys except any donations or something to keep this website alive, and freee. because this beta is like AMAZING. This must make all the Vbulettin fans feel like c.rap. Keep it free, and good job on everyone who made this.

Open Source support:
http://osuosl.org/contribute/rackathon
phpBB goodies:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store.aspx? ... BB3,phpBB4

Jesper Møller
Name: Jesper G.O. Møller

Post by Jesper Møller » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:42 pm

I love the phpBB3 :D

However ther is one thing that i quickly have find to be annoying..
Its posible to opload/ad files .. and to delete them .. but i realy miss the posebility to opdate a oploade file..
In the opload MOD for phpBB2 (by Acyd Burn i think?) this is posible.
If you have oploadet a file version 1.0 for peapol to download its nice to see how many use it.. but if you make a smal changen and vant to opdate the file to version 1.1 .. you have to delete the old and opload a new .. and the numbers off downloads is gone.
I woud love to see a opdate funktion in the final phpBB3.
Last edited by Jesper Møller on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know!"

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."

wizzerd

Post by wizzerd » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:21 am

Beta 4 is sweet. Great Job. I am impressed at every turn. :D
wizzerd

noitcurtsed

Re: First Impressions

Post by noitcurtsed » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:53 pm

The control panel is the best thing ever! Best forum that is out their in my opinion its so great! I wish the final version would come out!

hatemo

Post by hatemo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:37 am

phpbb2 to phpbb3 convert tool where?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:30 am

hatemo wrote: phpbb2 to phpbb3 convert tool where?
CVS - which is not supported
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”