First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Exner

Post by Exner » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm

Is there a date planned for the final release to be out?

Let's just hope for better spam protection. Just hate it to install thousands of modules.

Also hoping for a "last login" statistic for each user so it would be easier to delete unactive users (I know that there are modules for this but it feels like a "must have, built in function", really).

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:30 pm

Exner wrote: Is there a date planned for the final release to be out?

Let's just hope for better spam protection. Just hate it to install thousands of modules.

Also hoping for a "last login" statistic for each user so it would be easier to delete unactive users (I know that there are modules for this but it feels like a "must have, built in function", really).

No.

Yes, there is better spam protection.

User Prune.

nwilcox

Post by nwilcox » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:48 pm

Will there be a "Attach Files" or "Attach Images" MOD already installed?

I just hope the upgrade to Version 3 will be as simple as say a upgrade from 2.0.21 to 2.0.22 because everything I am reading about the new version is great and cant wait.

O0Pat0O

Post by O0Pat0O » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:27 pm

trynksssj2 wrote: i dont say that the ACP sucks or that is worse than the ACP of the ather forum systems. It is just fine. But phpBB was famous because it was very easy to administrate. Now it has become more difficult for novice users.

akx wrote: Seems very very powerful, a lot better than phpBB2 in a multitude of ways.
I like the new Admin Panel (even with its bad language).
The only thing that's really daunting me is the Permission system. It was kinda odd in phpBB2 (but alright when you got used to it), but it's - yes, powerful - but really a, hm, female dog to set up in my opinion... Maybe some documentation? ;)

These are just a few quotes in the 40 some odd pages that I havent completely gone through yet but already it seams that people agree with my opinion that the ACP is far to complicated.

I think you guys should stick to the old style ACP. After all this was one of the things that elevated Phpbb2 above the rest. Its ease of navigation was the best of any board "bar none".

I have spent about 2 hours in the ACP and still don't know where I'm at half the time. Since there is no visual reference in the panel as to where the heck your at, even if you find what your looking for you have to remember every link you click on the get back there if you want to change it again. Its like a maze to me and I know now from speaking to others that I am not alone in this.

The "You'll get used to it" reason for not making it user friendly is not an exceptable attitude in my opinion. Some of the Phpbb2 boards with thousands of clients will not be able to switch over to phpbb3 simply because they will never have the support to handle bulk amounts of clients inundating their support boards a thousand at a pop trying to figure out simple little problems like how to set their permissions or how to hang their banner.

Let me also say that its not that I don't appreciate your efforts and that I can see that phpbb3 is a superior board but this admin panel desperately needs a re-think.

Yea, you can find things in there easy enough I know. But your looking at it from a developers prospective and not a users perspective. Not to mention that you have had a year to figure it all out and get it into your head.

Most people will find it a daunting task just to get this set up much less to administrate it once it is set up.

I'm not saying this to be mean and I am sorry if this comes across as unappreciative but I fear that if some one doesn't tell you that admin panel is going to end up unusable for the novice. And that after all is the strongest plus that phpbb2 has... Loosing that advantage,.. to me is unexceptable. Navigation must be user friendly from the second they click on the administration link. Not 3 weeks into it.

If this is released BEFORE the admin panel is friendly this may never be fixed because people will eventually learn it and then they won't want to risk having to relearn it again if its repaired. Thus leaving the novices perminately out in the cold to fend for themselves. This is a mistake because the Novice Admin is the lifes blood of the Phpbb boards.

This is just my opinion though. But it is an opinion from some one that has used Phpbb for an extraordinary amount of time. Many many years in fact.

I see this coming pretty clearly, and I thought you should be made aware of it.

I realize that a revamp of the ACP seams like a daunting task at this point in its development but it will will be worth it in the long run. It's my opinion that the ACP is turning your silver tooth tiger into a toothless kitten. You don't want phpb3 to be just another Invision board. Sure it has lots of options but if a novice can't use them then there just useless programming and bloat ware in the end..

It has to be easy,.. so simple a child can do it. That IS PHPBB's strong point.

I apologize if I angered anyone with this post but this really needed to be said.
~thanks! -patricia~

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:59 pm

For the people who want the old ACP style, the new ACP lets you rearrange it so it can look like it did in 2.0 or any other configuration you want.

Lastof

Post by Lastof » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:03 pm

agent00shoe wrote: For the people who want the old ACP style, the new ACP lets you rearrange it so it can look like it did in 2.0 or any other configuration you want.

Demonstration:

To be honest, I think it's horrible like that, much too long, better separated into different tabs, but, to each their own.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!

O0Pat0O

Post by O0Pat0O » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:32 pm

Where is this rearrangement made?

How do you make this change?

This looks like the answer I had been hoping for.
~thanks! -patricia~

matthewf

Post by matthewf » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:44 pm

looks messy to me, I much prefer the new look, much better organized, :D

Lastof

Post by Lastof » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:05 pm

O0Pat0O wrote: Where is this rearrangement made?

ACP => System => Module management => Administration Control Panel

From there you can rearrange the modules. It works similarly to the way the forum controls do.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!

O0Pat0O

Post by O0Pat0O » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:24 pm

Lastof wrote:
O0Pat0O wrote:Where is this rearrangement made?

ACP => System => Module management => Administration Control Panel

From there you can rearrange the modules. It works similarly to the way the forum controls do.

Thank you I will start on that right away.
~thanks! -patricia~

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:35 pm

nwilcox wrote: Will there be a "Attach Files" or "Attach Images" MOD already installed?

I just hope the upgrade to Version 3 will be as simple as say a upgrade from 2.0.21 to 2.0.22 because everything I am reading about the new version is great and cant wait.

Features:
http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/features.html

souljaa

Post by souljaa » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:36 pm

Wow....This new phpbb leaves me speechless..No joke...It's by far the best board I've ever used so far now. No joke. You guys should really be proud. I'm gonng recommend this to everyone, no joke.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:07 pm

souljaa wrote: Wow....This new phpbb leaves me speechless..No joke...It's by far the best board I've ever used so far now. No joke. You guys should really be proud. I'm gonng recommend this to everyone, no joke.
Remember though that it is still in beta and not to be used in a live envirionment.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Me_09

Post by Me_09 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:31 pm

I love are more cool feature and like
Think this version are great and want phpbb 3 at moment! :P
anyway i try new forum at moment the only problem is create new
forum, section don't see because imposted permission
(Sorry for bad english)
I Love PHPBB 3!

rdwh

Post by rdwh » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:25 pm

sorry if i appear to be thick, i cannot seem to find a download of phpbb 3 to have a look and play with, help me, please point me in the right direction

thanks

Return to “phpBB Discussion”