First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Ash Hi Fi Zone

Post by Ash Hi Fi Zone »

Just today tested Beta 5 on my own system in Windows and Xampp...

Really got some advanced features built in like logging of all actions, creation of new user groups easily and assigning permissions... I believe it might take a couple of days to get used to all the features of the ACP as it has got way lot of stuff in it :D

Also the report system is cool too....

Attachememnts, imagemagick, all are other good features too ;-)

Although I like the new Warning and ban system, I waz hoping for a timing that can be set up for each warn instead of a common timing system for all warnings.... Well atleast we have a built-in warning system now... :P

Overall Well done phpBB Team :P
redrider

Post by redrider »

I just finished conversion from 2.0.22 to 3.0b5 this morning.

I am verrry new to the BB scene and found I had an easier time with this installation/conversion than 2.0.22 installation - only one (operator) error.

I'm still exploring the new fearures of which there are many.

Atta boy to the design team.
scrivner

Questions about really useful mods.

Post by scrivner »

Does anyone have information about a few mods I rely on in phpbb2 ? Are any of these portable into version 3B5?

Specifically:

1. EasyMod
2. Rss Mod
3. UserList mod
4. Textual Confirmation
5. Anti-Spam

Thanks.
david63

Re: Questions about really useful mods.

Post by david63 »

scrivner wrote: Does anyone have information about a few mods I rely on in phpbb2 ? Are any of these portable into version 3B5?

Specifically:

1. EasyMod
2. Rss Mod
3. UserList mod
4. Textual Confirmation
5. Anti-Spam

Thanks.
If you took the trouble to read the announcement at the top of this forum and/or read some of the posts in this forum you would know that mods from phpbb2 are not compatible with phpbb3 and will need to be rewritten and that will not happen until phpbb3 goes to RC status as the code is constantly changing.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
curtisj

Fantastic Improvements

Post by curtisj »

I first experimented with phpBB sometime in the 2.0.x phase. I thought the installation process was helpful, and painless. The main shortcomings that bothered me in 2.x have been flexibility in setting up and applying permissions. However, in phpBB3, it seems as if improvement jumped light years ahead. I can honestly say it's on par, if not exceeding, in many areas, paid software like vB or IPB.

Another thing I thought was amazing was the update process from Beta4 to Beta5! It was awesome how I could maintain modified code, and view changed files side by side with the current versions. A truly superb job, I'm sure phpBB hackers (?:will|are) lov(?:e|ing) it. Note that when I say hackers, I don't mean crackers (nor script kiddies).

Being a PHP programmer myself, seeing the new module system is amazing, and it should make installing certain MODs easier than ever. if phpBB gets any more modular, the need for MODs like EasyMOD may cease to exist. Also, the releasing and application of patches will be much easier. I've enjoyed exploring the source code, and I've already changed several things here and there to get more familiar.

The depth in the CPs (especially the ACP) and the rest of the board seems as if we went from 2.x to 4.x. The phpBB development team has really outdone itself! 8) :D

Curtis
Last edited by curtisj on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do, or do not. There is no try."
Yoda
Smokeydogg

Post by Smokeydogg »

phpbb3 is great cant wait for it to go to RC so people will begin doing mods and templates cause i wanna use it for my site
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Smokeydogg wrote: phpbb3 is great cant wait for it to go to RC so people will begin doing mods and templates cause i wanna use it for my site

There are already a lot of mods and styles being worked on. ;)

A lot of mods have been released for the Beta versions so far, but as with each new version they get updated. :)
SouLFieLD

Pro interview On phpBB3 Beta5.

Post by SouLFieLD »

Hello phpBB Team,

First i would like to say Thank You For your Work!
You doing extremly wonderful Work On phpBB Forum Development.
I'ill kepp using your forum software forever i think.
Ok Litele previw:
The phpBB3 Beta5 is The BEST Version That i've ever saw From your releases Becouse:
  • Much better Administrator interface.
    Much more Options on Administratoe Board.
    Forum interface is Much better the other versions.
If you will keep up like that, Soon you will be close to Vbulletin Forums.
I think thats all.
Thank you very much!
:lol:
FoundHell

Post by FoundHell »

Hi guys really nice work thanks for kicking a certain other board development right in the nickers!

First Impressions:

- Easy Upgrade From Previous Versions a +.

(Note: The part where the person needs to install the new instalation but in the same DB could be put in bold that got me the first time i read the readme. The reason alot of other topics have been brought up for installation is because alot of ppl are creating new domains to install the forum and not a subdirectory on the current one thus the problem with the converting phpbb_ tables etc... topics. I first installed a new domain to do the conversion and when it asked me for the old forum paths it would keep giving me that phpbb_ message when the path was ../forums but i forgot it was on another domain. ) Could be what some of those ppl are doing.

-Groups,Forums, Users permissions very nice and easy to use and setup.

-Easy to use file editor a major ++ as adding code to header like google banners and stuff fewwww good-bye ftp editor.

Man there are alot of +'s on this the list could go on and on. Thank You for sharing.
geoans

Post by geoans »

I think it's a significant move forward and filled with new features.

It's probably just me but I find setting permissions for moderators rather tricky and it seems I'm having to go to many places in order to make it all sync.
cpayyan

Post by cpayyan »

WOW!!! thats what i felt when i tried it. Great work guys.

ACP is full of features almost like IPB / VB.
Simply superb

Another mod, that i feel should exist with the basic package is QUICK REPLY. that is missing here also.
Lastof

Post by Lastof »

cpayyan wrote: WOW!!! thats what i felt when i tried it. Great work guys.

ACP is full of features almost like IPB / VB.
Simply superb

Another mod, that i feel should exist with the basic package is QUICK REPLY. that is missing here also.

The dev team have decided that quick reply should be a mod, not a feature in the main package. The reasons for this have been discussed many time, so, a search here, or especially over on Area51 will give you some more information on it.

It's kinda a sore point with some of the users, so, I would recommend avoiding the subject if you don't want them to go insane and rip you apart. :wink:
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
PatPatten

Post by PatPatten »

Just Awesome,

I am Using different forums running with phpbb 2.x, Ipb, Punbb, Vb for years now. But phpbb 3 is the top of the list !

Easy install, great ACP, etc.

A big thank you to the developers and also to the other Team members of this community.

Can't hardly wait for RC1 :P (but I am not alone I think :lol: )

Greets,

Patricia
tradenet

Post by tradenet »

Indeed, I must say I've installed them all...and WAS a die hard SMF fan, however my first impressions are....awesome!
DynoGT

Post by DynoGT »

I have to go against the grain and say that I don't like the new version.

My first impression is that it's too similar in the look of phpBB2 and too simliar to a modded phpBB2 board. Some of the new features are really nice like creating infinite subforums, Online/Offline, Global moderators, and bot management. But other than that, the ACP seems way too cluttered now.

The lack of being able to create categories on the index I think is a bad thing. If you have a bunch of forums on your board they'd all look continuous, and on a large board, might make it harder to find forums.

And the text on the forum index seems too small (on 800x600 screen res). The white space on the sides of the forum also seem to be too much.

Posting a message is kind of better and kind of worse. I think the topic icons take away from the appearance. Subscribing and bookmarking topics might go somewhat unused but.. The Print view is a good addition. The Email friend is an excellent addition though.

PM's seem too cluttered now too. Having the options on the left of the message gives me claustrophobia! But the ability to pm multiple users is a good addition and the placement of the next/previous message buttons is a definite improvement too.

Adding the attachment mod seems a bit too exclusive though. I know it's a good mod. But I don't think it should have been integrated. That's just my personal opinion though. I know some people will get plenty of use out of it.

But in general, I think the default style detracts from phpBB3 and it's a bit too cluttered to be user-friendly. On the plus side... there's definitely a speed increase. But I'm still going to stick with V2 as long as possible. It just seems more aesthetically pleasing and easier to navigate. No disrespect to the people that worked so hard to code phpBB3 though, I've got nothing but respect. Kudos to you guys for putting such a big project together.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”