First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
mwildam

Post by mwildam »

Implementing the additional mods needed to a new 3.x board I see probably less problematic than porting the old data from the database. I actually have a lot of mods applied that changed the DB also.

Probably we can get a documentation of database changes so a chance of a manual data transfer will be given.
Greetings, Martin Wildam.
TimJBart

Post by TimJBart »

FStadler wrote:
is there any ideas on how the phpbb2 to phpbb3 converter will handle mods?

Not at all. There will only be an official converter for a vanilla 2.0.x board.

The only two (probably) exceptions should be:
- mods that don't modify your database (they will be lost of course, but you can still convert)
- attachement mod

So when I use the updater from 2 to 3 will it get rid of every other mod and database adjustment I have made on my existing board? I want a clean fresh phpbb 3 with no mods whatsoever so will the updater just take the important stuff that I want? (posts and users...that's it!)

Sorry if the details of the updater are not confirmed yet, I'm in Vietnam travelling so havent really been keeping in touch!
FStadler

Post by FStadler »

So when I use the updater from 2 to 3 will it get rid of every other mod and database adjustment I have made on my existing board? I want a clean fresh phpbb 3 with no mods whatsoever so will the updater just take the important stuff that I want? (posts and users...that's it!)

Sorry if the details of the updater are not confirmed yet, I'm in Vietnam travelling so havent really been keeping in touch!

The files are completely new - so updating to 3 will remove all mods from your board files (because they are deleted and just the new ones are used).

The database export/import might fail if your mods changed the layout of the original phpbb-tables. If your mods only added new tables, the update should work without problem.

Details for any updater/update script aren't know yet, so it's all guessing.
TimJBart

Post by TimJBart »

FStadler wrote: The files are completely new - so updating to 3 will remove all mods from your board files (because they are deleted and just the new ones are used).

Yep I know I'll be using all new files so it should be clean but I didn't want the updater to take redundant info from my bloated phpbb2 database.
The database export/import might fail if your mods changed the layout of the original phpbb-tables. If your mods only added new tables, the update should work without problem.

I dont think the original database has been changed but is it likely to transfer over any extra columns my database have added?

I realise its a bit pointless me asking. I'll just have to wait for release, run the script and see what happens. Or I could just maually import posts and users? What is the best way of doing this?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

TimJBart wrote: I realise its a bit pointless me asking. I'll just have to wait for release, run the script and see what happens. Or I could just maually import posts and users? What is the best way of doing this?

Wait until the upgrade is available.
Chris SmithGitHub
jeevan25

Post by jeevan25 »

DRIFTPIG wrote: Absolutely awesome!!! I've modded the hell outta my forum and i'd say 75% of the mods i have installed are already packaged into phpbb3. Absolutely love it!!! So much work must go into development of these projects, its a real credit to all the team!! One quick question, my forum is what i'd class as extensively modded with at least 15 mods min added, is there any ideas on how the phpbb2 to phpbb3 converter will handle mods?

However if you used a pre-MODded package such as phpBB Plus, the owner might be able to give an update package.
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

jeevan25 wrote: When I first used it as CVS [still don't know what it stands for, even though saw the meaning a lot of times] it looked crappy as hell. Sorry if offensive language. It was like MODded phpBB2. Now it rocks. I must say that phpBB3 will put phpBB in a higher position that before.

The best thing about phpBB3:
Open source
Loads faster
More functions
Kick-ass ACP
Cache
and so many that I can't remember.

Worst thing:
Still haven't found ./includes/page_header.php, and I have been looking since pre-beta released.

Though the installation process could have been made better.

The old includes/page_header.php is now in includes/functions.php search for function page_header. :)
(I searched for a long time for that one before, they hide it well. :lol:
mwildam

Post by mwildam »

So I also guess that most of the existing mods for PhpBB 2.0.x will not work for PhpBB 3.x, isn't it?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

mwildam wrote: So I also guess that most of the existing mods for PhpBB 2.0.x will not work for PhpBB 3.x, isn't it?

I doubt any mod designed for 2 will work for 3, they have completely different code bases. ;)
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

mwildam wrote: So I also guess that most of the existing mods for PhpBB 2.0.x will not work for PhpBB 3.x, isn't it?

Read this. Note the second paragraph. ;-)
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

I anticipate more response and feedback, but there isn't alot. I hope not too many folks left phpBB community during all these years, awaiting for this moment.
platinum-e-books.co.uk

Post by platinum-e-books.co.uk »

Is there a demo?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

platinum-e-books.co.uk wrote: Is there a demo?

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/index.php
d.mchugh

Post by d.mchugh »

Downloaded the new Beta Today. Well done crew! Ran through the install lickety split with out a hitch. No signs of any problems yet.
Two things of note.

I really like the create Forum with the copy privledges from other forum option.. This same option should be added to the manage forum security. It would make setting up the privledges so much easier when you are in an after the fact situation.

Created a messsage today and came back later to add a poll. Successfully added a poll. Submitted it. Came back edited poll for spelling errors. Everything was fine. Submitted it. Responded to poll. Went back to edit Message and LOST THE POLL? It no longer displays the POLL! Bug 101.
Last edited by d.mchugh on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mwildam

Post by mwildam »

yexusbeliever wrote: I anticipate more response and feedback, but there isn't alot. I hope not too many folks left phpBB community during all these years, awaiting for this moment.
As you are saying this: My impression is that in the last years a lot of BB-software has grown up and some had features like printer friendly view or forum subscription already after vanilla installation. So there was sometimes the impression (for me personally) in the last year that probably other boards may develop quicklier in the future. As I am a developer I have chosen PhpBB not only but with big importance because there are so many mods available. - For an advanced user who wants to install a BB software probably other boards that had more features after new installation other boards were the preferred choice in the last times.

But from my point of view now with PhpBB 3 the front is reached again. So far I had not time to look at the code but if it had become cleaned up (which I interpret from other posts) then it should be a good base for new mods.

For me PhpBB is still the favorite! 8)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”