First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
by_eRRoR

Post by by_eRRoR »

:D
dcz

Post by dcz »

This is a great one, thanks you so much :D

I'd just say one thing, it can be dangerous to open a forum to bots that is not allowed to guests, as is "showing different content to bots" than to guests.

Plus, the method used is technically cloaking, the result as well, Google can blacklist for this.

The bots features are impressive, but need a warning about this.

One could think without this forum auth feature, the bots mod is kind of a heavy method to get rid of SID (using as well cloaking method, but at least content stays the same) and I kind of agree in this case.

But there are more than search engine bots, such as boardtracker.com that could run different policies about this, I don't know, but it's for sure a problem with Google, thus with Search Engines (on day perhaps, Google won't be this important, but for now...).

Anyway, again and as always phpBB RuleZ, the best one ever.

With phpBB3, the phpBB group just nailed other BB to the carpet ;)

++

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

dcz wrote: I'd just say one thing, it can be dangerous to open a forum to bots that is not allowed to guests, as is "showing different content to bots" than to guests.

Plus, the method used is technically cloaking, the result as well, Google can blacklist for this.

Google doesnt mind stuff like that.
Cloaking isnt showing one page to a bot and one page to a guest. Its showing a specially crafted page to a bot filled with crap.
With a forum the content is real content so Google doesnt have a issue with it.
You wont get blacklisted for doing that.
dcz

Post by dcz »

Ask Google ;)

Their cloaking policy is not precise at all, and actually, I would not bet on being un blacklist-able once I'd run a very big boards one could want to report to Google for such matters.

Google actually banned a page from the Google domain because it was cloaking the metas. Here you'd change a lot more.
I already discussed this about the old bots mod, was about the templates being different back then, but it's exactly the same issue, you show different pages (and here it's even more, because a login box is very different to a topic page) using cloaking method.
Now, what is the Google definition ?

I assure you, this is not a small issue.

Now as always, everyone does what he wants, but a warning in front of so few answers from Google is not much compared to be blacklisted one day, even if we don't have reported examples yet (could be because no phpBB forum using it was a business competitor to someone knowing a cloaking report to Google could change his life ;) )

Personally, I won't take such risks until Google tells this particular method is ok.

++

cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

lol. Ok I'll shoot a e-mail off to Google in the morning just to keep you happy. ;)

They have oked similar things however and are working on a way for you to give Googlebot a user/pass to log in to your site anyway.
dcz

Post by dcz »

cheater512 wrote: They have oked similar things however and are working on a way for you to give Google-bot a user/pass to log in to your site anyway.

I assure you I'd prefer they'd become clear about this, because even the template feature can have some interest, less bandwidth used etc, and not only for our site, bots crawling zillions of pages could take advantage of fewer bandwidth usage.
And it's not ethically cheating, as this would output the real text content of the page.

In the phpBB3 case, it's different. Actually I am not to sure about the interest to have private content spidered.
I personally dislike a lot when searching for some content I en up on a page not showing it.

++

Kellie80

Post by Kellie80 »

First impressions are definitely lasting impressions.

I installed Beta 3 yesterday, let my other admin in as well as the moderators of my board which is run on the most recent version of phpbb.

We LOVE just absolutely LOVE Beta 3!!! It's easy to use, better control of permissions, smilies, etc. We LOVE all of the features. Finally my co-admin and I feel like actual administrators instead of just glorified mods. The ACP is fabulous! The UCP is fabulous!! The MCP is fabulous!!

I can't wait until the first finished version is released!! I also can't wait until people design templates for it!

BTW - speaking of templates - will any of the templates on phpbb work with Beta 3? I wouldn't think so....but who knows....

Anyway, keep up the good work developers!! You've got a fan in me with this one!! :D
AMD Power

Post by AMD Power »

For me PHPBB 3.0 have a lot-lot of options on the entire board itself compared with 2.X. Well first time it is a bit of confusing to handle ACP, however, when get use to it, it is a very flexible bbs and you can just run one copy of phpbb 3.0 for multiple communities.

Thanks to all of the Developers for this beautiful open source masterpiece.

Sadly... once released... somebody with put a lot of mod to this and rebrand this to be a different name... I guess that's what we called Open Source.
Puck

Post by Puck »

groundfighter wrote: Phpbb 3.0 is so much better I hate even looking at my 2.0.21 board I cannot wait to scrap it. 3.0 is not only functionally and much more aesthetically looking the ergonomics of it are wonderful.

My only regret is that I cannot play around with my present database in 3.0 at this time.

After seeing 3.0 and working with it I find it hard to even visit a 2.xx.xx board. :lol:

Kudo's to the 3.0 team, the beast of the forums will be here soon and demanding to be fed. :P

I came to this forum after installing phpBB 3.0b1 to post exactly this. I await on pins and needles for the upgrade path to be opened up so that I can upgrade 2.x and know that phpBB 3 betas can continue to get upgraded. Once that happens I'll be upgrading pretty quickly.

Great work guys!
alexisabarca

Post by alexisabarca »

Very good!!!!

Include a lot of new functions!! (subforums, attachments, custom profile fields, new ACP, report post, change author, global announcements, custom admin and moderator permissions, test permissions, bot permissions, and more...)
We LOVE just absolutely LOVE Beta 3!!! It's easy to use, better control of permissions, smilies, etc. We LOVE all of the features. Finally my co-admin and I feel like actual administrators instead of just glorified mods. The ACP is fabulous! The UCP is fabulous!! The MCP is fabulous!!

I can't wait until the first finished version is released!! I also can't wait until people design templates for it!

x2
Rakshasas

Post by Rakshasas »

Well I personally just love it. The ACP is just beautiful, feature rich and easy to use. While I do admit some aspects are confusing at first (but mostly because of the fact that phpBB2 did it one way, while phpBB3 does it another. Just a matter of time to get used to a different way of thinking)

I'm looking forward to the next step in beta. Thank you guys so much for phpBB3.
Trel

Post by Trel »

This is more of a second impression after testing for a while.

The permissions system IS more complicated, but I have to say, the permission traces is an AWESOME feature. It makes it very easy to find where a rogue permission is interferering. I especially love the explanations next to each step in the trace.
northerncountry

Post by northerncountry »

Awsome piece of work! Got to be the best message board system on the net!

I can't wait for the final release. My only complaint and the only thing I do not like is the permissions. THEY ARE SO COMPLICATED!. Now I am a pretty inteligent guy and have been involved in running a phpbb2 board for two years now and can navigate it blindfolded but this new permissions is really killing me. I know I will eventually get used to it. However they are very powerful permissions but I think it is a bit overkill. I hope that by the time the final release is published that the permissions would have been simplified a bit more.

Anyway thanks for a great product! :D
mwildam

Post by mwildam »

It will take a while getting used to it but don't oversee that you can now configure roles so you should have less work setting the permissions with the new version because a new user for example can be assigned a role and your permission setting is finished. Further forums can inherit permissions from other forums. So the setting of permissions will be mostly done at the very beginning when configuring roles and creating the first forums.

When I have to add a new user on current PhpBB 2.0.x I have this big matrix of Yes/No combos (because my permission policy does not match the available presets). This is really a long clicky work.
Greetings, Martin Wildam.
Cynthia Finnegan

Post by Cynthia Finnegan »

Just installed it on my website today and, so far, it works well.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”