First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Locked
o0slowpaul0o
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Post by o0slowpaul0o »

I do not think our designer agree to this. Actually, we never had a deep look to the ibp admin panel, i for one only saw a screenshot once a few years back.


Few years back, it was in frames untill 2.1.x versions. I'm just not going to complain about that now, one part of this subject I will keep quiet on. Just for my sake?
Would be nice if you would report them too... maybe we should do the same and give NeoBB a tiny internal audit... more eyes see more.


I'd be happy to reprt them. :)

Only way you can get your hands on neoBB, is signing up for beta testing or paying for it when its released

The admin panel for phpBB3 was in development before IPB's tabbed admin panel was released. Just because they released it first, doesn't mean it's their idea. Tabbed websites have been around for years. Does IPB claim these other sites that use tabbed pages also ripped off Matt Macham?


I'm going to correct you on this. Matt mecham had it planned soon after the 2.0.x last release. No he doesn't have power over tabbed websites or he claims them. What I'm saying is, he brought up the idea of using them on a bulletin board. Next person who will do this, is vBulletin. Mind you, to me they are known for thieving ideas.
Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Posts: 5830
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:31 pm
Location: Behind You
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn »

I do not think we even need to look at other forum solutions to get ideas... we have not done so in the past and we won't do so in the future. :) What sometimes happens is that users suggesting features they have seen on another board and just suggest what they see - which can then result in "similar acting" functions (this stands true for every forum software allowing user-contributed suggestions) or simply by the nature of humans sometimes coming up with similar ideas. ;)
User avatar
mwildam
Registered User
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Vienna
Contact:

Post by mwildam »

I do not think that we should quarrel about what is the best BB software. As far as I can see, each forum software has it's pros and cons.

And I really do not know why often PhpBB is in the media because of security issues and the others less although it is likely that in any such software security issues are included. Maybe because others are more difficult to get less people know about the code and possible attempts to hack it.
Greetings, Martin Wildam.
o0slowpaul0o
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Post by o0slowpaul0o »

Doing to many things now. Chatting, comparing, testing and coding.

Just downloaded phpBB beta 1m just to have a quick glance and test, as I said earlier, you've have improved very much.

For posting, I think you would have added a WYSIWYG in, instead of a custom text thing, like this one. Just ick ick ick. WYSISYG all the way baby!

I also give you credit on the user panel, I find that rather sexy. May I nick it?

Moving on the the admin. Just look at these images, and you'll see what i mean by that admin rip off thingy I said. No images just basic CSS.

phpBB: http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1649/phpbb6jt.jpg
IPB: http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipb5zy.jpg

Your style components needs alittle work though, just editing CSS not gonna do much, since you could edit tpls in the admin by using PHP.

I'll be looking forward to see the final release.

As for NeoBB, if your willing to test it, I'll buzz you a PM asking for your details, then I can automaticlly put you in the beta test group.
User avatar
Waleed Zuberi
Registered User
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Pakistan
Contact:

Post by Waleed Zuberi »

o0slowpaul0o wrote: Only way you can get your hands on neoBB, is signing up for beta testing or paying for it when its released


wow. :roll:

What's the matter slowpaul, afraid of the competition or what?
o0slowpaul0o
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Post by o0slowpaul0o »

Not at all. A free version of NeoBB will comming out shortly after we released NeoBB and some of our services..
User avatar
cheater512
Registered User
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:27 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Post by cheater512 »

o0slowpaul0o wrote: I'm not going lie to you guys, even if phpBB3 goes final, there still be loads of sercuirty issues and explots in phpBB, like in the other versions.

Unlikely. Many of the newer security features in phpBB 2 came from phpBB 3.
I belive the devs are much more security conscious about security and how to prevent flaws than they were when writing phpBB 2.
User avatar
Stallyon
Registered User
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 6:40 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Name: Chris Bell
Contact:

Post by Stallyon »

o0slowpaul0o wrote: Moving on the the admin. Just look at these images, and you'll see what i mean by that admin rip off thingy I said. No images just basic CSS.

phpBB: http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1649/phpbb6jt.jpg
IPB: http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipb5zy.jpg

[sarcasm]OMG OMG they look EXACTLY alike!![/sarcasm]

I am sure Acyd Burn and psoTFX went out and purchased a licence of IPB just to rip off the admin panel. :roll:

EDIT: HAHA I just had this image in my mind of pso and acyd breaking open their piggy banks and counting out pence, shillings and pounds to get the required $69.95 USD for a licence. :lol:
dcz
Registered User
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:37 am
Contact:

Post by dcz »

Plus if these two are like the exact same, then I don't understand what could be different from what.

They do look and are organized different, unless you meant they both are an ACP.

I would not call that a copy.

phpBB 3 rocks :D

hope you'll send the reports though ;)

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS
cooleo100d
Registered User
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:49 pm
Contact:

Post by cooleo100d »

Stallyon wrote: EDIT: HAHA I just had this image in my mind of pso and acyd breaking open their piggy banks and counting out pence, shillings and pounds to get the required $69.95 USD for a licence. :lol:

lol, they just billed it to phpBB as a business expense.

But being serious, you can tell it wasn't ripped because the phpBB3 admin panel is nice looking, usable, clean, and not cluttered, which are all things the IPB lacks.
User avatar
Stallyon
Registered User
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 6:40 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Name: Chris Bell
Contact:

Post by Stallyon »

One thing I do love about the phpBB3B1 ACP is the fact it uses VERY little images thanks to CSS. Fast loading, zippy, clean, smooth.
User avatar
rkanojia
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:58 am
Contact:

Post by rkanojia »

Waiting for it for a long time :-)
o0slowpaul0o
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Post by o0slowpaul0o »

cooleo100d wrote: lol, they just billed it to phpBB as a business expense.

But being serious, you can tell it wasn't ripped because the phpBB3 admin panel is nice looking, usable, clean, and not cluttered, which are all things the IPB lacks.


Cluttered? Want you to explain that to me, because I think your completely wrong.
stallton wrote: One thing I do love about the phpBB3B1 ACP is the fact it uses VERY little images thanks to CSS. Fast loading, zippy, clean, smooth.


I agree on that. CSS is a work around to make things fast in PHP.
stallyon wrote: [sarcasm]OMG OMG they look EXACTLY alike!![/sarcasm]

I am sure Acyd Burn and psoTFX went out and purchased a licence of IPB just to rip off the admin panel.


Basiclly, your saying, because its based out of CSS and IPB isn't. It's nothing alike? Look at the layoput, tabs in the same place, navigation on the left. Both the same, apart from phpBB3 uses CSS and IPB use HTML. =) If you say that aint a rip, then what is it?

Also, just for you. I like to state, that Acyd stated himself, they have designers for the admin, so I'm not even going to put any pressure on the developers.
cooleo100d
Registered User
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:49 pm
Contact:

Post by cooleo100d »

o0slowpaul0o wrote: Cluttered? Want you to explain that to me, because I think your completely wrong.

Sure!

When you're using it, it just seems like there's text EVERYWHERE. Everything seems complicated.

Maybe it's just that the presentation of the phpBB3 admin panel is so superior, that it just makes the IPB admin panel look bad. All I know is if I'm going to be looking at one of the admin panels for a few hours, I'd much rather it be phpBB3's.
Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Posts: 5830
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:31 pm
Location: Behind You
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn »

We did not look at IPB's admin panel to get to ours and Tom did not too. This is the first time i see the ipb admin panel styled out this way... but it is meaningless anyway, because nowadays every single website using tabs looks alike. It is just a very common way to present much information. Do you really believe every single website is using a different location for their menus? Some have them on the left, some on the right, some at the top, some at the bottom, some within middle of the screen, and some at a location no one every saw it... the rules are normally set by accessibility terms and what has been gathered over the years of experience as "this works the best".

So, please can we refrain from calling names? We did not copy anything and i believe matt do not need to copy anything too.
Locked

Return to “phpBB Discussion”