First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Luminiferous

Post by Luminiferous » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:41 pm

What can I add? Perfect! Just perfect! This will beat IPB, vBulletin and others. But it would be great if we get final release very soon

A.T.O.M.

!!! awsome job fellas !!!

Post by A.T.O.M. » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:55 pm

Hat's off to all the dev's, contributors, bug hunters and the phpBB team in general! Very slick! It's damn nice to have the functionality built in, and more, than what was possible with v2 after adding 30+ MOD's.

pros: too many to list. i like the new security/auth controls, both the admin and user CP's, Jabber integration (how cool is that!), auto-admin notifications, etc., etc., etc...

cons: never liked phpBB's method of inserting URL's -- it's not noob friendly like Ikonboard, etc.. There's a few other little things, but nothing major off the top of my head.

suggestions:
change the URL insert method for posts -- prompt for link text and URL.
built in news feed support controled by a forum/topic.
ability to view sub forums on 'viewforum.php' -- i guess that's the file -- the main page

malkierian

Post by malkierian » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 am

All I can say is...

WOW!!!! 8O

This is so incredible, I can't even say. When I installed Ptirhiik's latest version of his Categories mod, 2.1.6, on my phpBB2, I was boggled by the new format. When I installed a phpBB3 test forum, my mind almost exploded. The first thing I noticed was how user-friendly the format was, and then how comprehensive the options were. Then I found out that Olympus had a category hierarchy. All I have to say is

YES!!!

That was the perfect idea. I love Ptirhiik and Cr@ter$ to death, but having all that separated stuff was getting confusing. I just hope lots of the older style designers come back to update their styles for Olympus.

Mega kudos to the team! Great job!!! :P

malkierian

Post by malkierian » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:44 am

Wow, I just keep seeing more and more stuff...

I take back my mega kudos for the team, because I have to give them:

MEGA ULTRA KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!

The Olympus forum program, in so many ways, is an answer to my prayers. Thanks so much!!!

P.S. Sorry for the double post, but I just figured it was that big.

TecShdw

Post by TecShdw » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:04 pm

Well, upon setup I automatically knew it was going to be slick. After getting setup and hitting the admin panel for the 1st time I was absolutely amazed!

Like I said, I just finished installing no more than 5 min ago, but I will be back, with bugs too I'm sure...lol...But so far I've got to give props to the team, this looks absolutely AWSOME!!!

Kudos to you guys!

EDIT ::
BTW, if you want to see my setup

[Removed Spam - karlsemple]

This thing just keeps getting better as I use it!!!
Clifford L. Moten
My Site - My Forum - My phpBB3 test forum

cchirino

Post by cchirino » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:37 pm

Anyone got a demo?

NoDeity

Post by NoDeity » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:49 am

cchirino wrote: Anyone got a demo?

We're not supposed to post URLs to our demos in this thread, I think. Would you like to receive URLs via PM?

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:55 am

Here is the demo board http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/

Luchtzak

Post by Luchtzak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:46 am

It's a great board, I am hoping that it will be released ASAP ;-)

elainemiller

Post by elainemiller » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:34 pm

I'm awful excited! I set up a test board and am noodging my friends to sign up and fiddle with it so I can get used to the interface and find bugs if they're there. (Haven't encountered any errors or bugs yet.)

The interface is beeeyootiful, the admin area is lavish, and my real-life users are gonna love it when I swap 'em over.

Although... I've been running a ver2 board for years, and it has so many mods and add-ons and partial upgrades, I gave up keeping track. I fear the difficulties of the swap-over. But I want it! <grin>

Thanks, phpBB3 Team, for making such a friggin' lovely bit of software.

-Elaine

cornnfedd

Post by cornnfedd » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:14 pm

very nice so far well done to the dev team. install was so easy which was great...

:) cant wait for the release and some mods, going to be awsome!

:D :D :D :D :D

Argonus

Post by Argonus » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:13 pm

To be honest...I haven't had a complaint yet. Any bugs I've come across, have already been reported, or at least I found work arounds for. I't been running a couple days without complaint. I rather enjoy this new version. I switched to XMB forums on my live forum because I kept breaking phpBB 2.0 with all the mods I needed. lol

3.0 has all that I need. So I'm looking forward to switching back.

I just really hope there's a conversion tool for XMB-phpBB 3.0. I miss my phpBB community. hehehe

pkoutoul

Just installed Olympus... Wow

Post by pkoutoul » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:39 pm

I sure wish I could go ahead and upgrade my site now. But I'll wait until at least an RC is released. Like others have said, it's amazing how many features that were only available before as mods are not part of the core. Thank you for CAPTCHA!! I'm getting so tired of deleting bot generated accounts.

I have only one dissappointment: there doesn't seem to be any means to generate feeds. Or did I miss that? I really think at this point in the development of the Web, any serious platform needs to generate news feeds.

Other than that, I am happy with 3.0 as is. Thanks for all the hard work!

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: Just installed Olympus... Wow

Post by EXreaction » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:34 pm

pkoutoul wrote: I sure wish I could go ahead and upgrade my site now. But I'll wait until at least an RC is released. Like others have said, it's amazing how many features that were only available before as mods are not part of the core. Thank you for CAPTCHA!! I'm getting so tired of deleting bot generated accounts.

I have only one dissappointment: there doesn't seem to be any means to generate feeds. Or did I miss that? I really think at this point in the development of the Web, any serious platform needs to generate news feeds.

Other than that, I am happy with 3.0 as is. Thanks for all the hard work!

Someone will make a mod for that as soon as phpBB3 is released. It would be an extremely simple mod to make. If I ever looked into RSS/XML feeds I would have made one myself already(I won't unless someone doesn't make a good one by the final release). :)

asmith3006

Re: Just installed Olympus... Wow

Post by asmith3006 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:00 pm

pkoutoul wrote: I have only one dissappointment: there doesn't seem to be any means to generate feeds. Or did I miss that? I really think at this point in the development of the Web, any serious platform needs to generate news feeds.
Feeds didn't really become main-stream on the web until Olympus had become feature frozen so that's why they're not in there.

There was a community coding project for it I think, but there's been no word on it for a long time :( Thinking about it, it would be sweet for the community coding project teams to give us an update on how they're coming :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”