First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
ace2ace

Post by ace2ace » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:37 pm

for me bbcode is a no no. can't stand it.
For all my forums, I use wysiwyg by default. Forum users love to copy/paste entire articles without losing an image or a format. Very nice. I Can't have a forum without that feature. So, I will be looking forwards for new html, wysiwyg MODs.

Anyway, it won't be long before the MODs start pouring in.

This phpbb3 is well done. Although I agree, after closer look, that the forum permission is a bit complicated, even for experience Site Admin like me.
I still don't undertand much of it after playing with that particular feature for half an hour. It won't be easy for newbies that's for sure.

But I like phpbb3. It's really nice.
Trouble is, I got sooooo many MODs the switch won't be easy.

Again thanks to all the programmers.

danopia
Name: Daniel Lamando

Don't make me go back!

Post by danopia » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:21 pm

I love phpBB3! Don't make me go back! I never will be able to administer (or even change my profile on) a phpBB 2.x board again!!! :D
I even work a template for it already. :wink:
In fact, here's my first post:
Subject: phpBB3 Beta is proudly used by Danopia
When I went to download the forums software for Danopia, I saw the 'phpBB 3' line out of the corner of my eye. And, I'll tell you, it's like going from dial-up to broadband: I'll never be able to use 2.x again!

Yes, HTML is disabled. However, you can now define your own forum-wide BBcode tags!!! Click on the "Posting" tab in the ACP. 8)

Good job!

cwe

Post by cwe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:57 pm

Does 3.0 allow admins/mods to sticky and unsticky threads after they have been posted? This is sorely lacking in 2.0 (unless I just haven't figured out how to do it).
I'm using phpBB for an epilepsy forum.

halifax--lad

Post by halifax--lad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:08 pm

cwe wrote: Does 3.0 allow admins/mods to sticky and unsticky threads after they have been posted? This is sorely lacking in 2.0 (unless I just haven't figured out how to do it).

To unsticky a thread just edit it #(then uncheck the checkbox), works in phpbb2 and I'm sure it will be the same process in phpbb3
Do you BOINC??

See our forum

danopia
Name: Daniel Lamando

Process to sticky/unsticky threads

Post by danopia » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:22 pm

cwe wrote: Does 3.0 allow admins/mods to sticky and unsticky threads after they have been posted? This is sorely lacking in 2.0 (unless I just haven't figured out how to do it).

Yes, although it took me a minute to fiqure it out. :wink: This process probebly was harder in phpBB2, because I didn't get it either.
1. In the MCP, browse to the selected topic and open it in 'View topic' mode, or select 'Moderator control panel' while looking at the thread's posts.
2. Select 'Post details' for the first post.
3. Press the 'edit' button.
4. On the new screen, scroll down to 'Change topic type to:' and select Normal or Sticky.
5. Click 'Submit'.

Hope that helps,
Danopia :D

PS: A MOD could easily simplify the process, possibly putting a 'sticky' link next to the thread in the 'Forum view'. :idea:

[edit]OK, so there is an edit button on each post, didn't notice that before, mainly because I never browse as an admin. That mod still sounds good, though.[/edit]

cwe

Post by cwe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks guys. I was expecting a link at the bottom of the thread view (next to the delete/move/lock/split buttons) for handling this (as a thread) and didn't think about editing the initial post. :)

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Or, you know you could just scroll to the bottom of the thread and select change to sticky from the Quick-mod tools: section... ;)

cwe

Post by cwe » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:54 pm

^^^ Are you referring to something in 3.0? If so, this answers my original question. I don't see this in 2.0.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:21 pm

cwe wrote: ^^^ Are you referring to something in 3.0? If so, this answers my original question. I don't see this in 2.0.

Yes, it is in 3 and not 2. :)

Simsi

Post by Simsi » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:07 am

First impressions. Big improvement on phpBB2 particularly from an admin perspective. Install very easy. Did find it a little hard to work out how to do everything once into Admin though, but there is just so much I guess :) Got there in the end anyway.

Very Impressed :D

schultzruediger

wonderfuuuul

Post by schultzruediger » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:36 am

This is splendid. You guys really did a great job in phpBB 3 (though I haven't checked all the millions of features you included).

I am very impressed and hardly can wait until RC2 is available (or STABLE).

thanks a lot

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:30 am

Why RC2? I think you'll be pleased to learn that RC1 will probably already be what you're waiting for; if RC1 passes the test of a lot more live boards, the team would go for Gold right away and there wouldn't be any RC2.

tantley

Post by tantley » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:17 am

I installed 3.0 b2 several nights ago. I downloaded partial archive files on two attempts- which initally left me confused when I couldn't get it to work as per the install docs online.

Once I got the complete package, everything installed perfectly on my IIS 5.1 / PHP 4.4 / MySQL 4.1.4 system. The install script was very organized and easy to understand.

The appearance of 3.0 is astounding to me; it just looks so well-honed and easy to follow. The administration control panel is implemented very well; the tabs group functions accordingly and is much-improved.

This leaves me wanting to use it right now, but I'm going to stay on the developer's good side and wait as instructed. I wish I would have waited- because now I have seen what is coming, and want it right now.

Akareyon

Post by Akareyon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:27 pm

I wish I would have waited- because now I have seen what is coming, and want it right now.
That's why, after all I've seen and read, I won't beta test it. I know that's selfish, but I'll wait for the final and prepare the template layout in the meantime :-)

//me => really looking forward to relaunch my forums with phpBB 3.0!

andrei1015

Post by andrei1015 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:32 am

i made a ftp server and tried to make a phpbb3 "test drive"
but it didn't work :((((
"only god can judge me..."

Return to “phpBB Discussion”