Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

8O which is what I said :lol:

imac600

Post by imac600 »

Corrected again (twice in one thread...). :)

Cardcaptor Stacey
Name: Stacey

Post by Cardcaptor Stacey »

I think it's wrong to remove it..but if it's in the comments of each page then is that okay?
Call me Stacey.

abusedrc.com

Post by abusedrc.com »

Its just improper not to give credit when due.

Tanapangarap

Post by Tanapangarap »

Even if I didn't care to show the proper respect to phpBB by keeping their copyright on the footer, I still wouldn't remove it because I'd think it too insignificant a presence for me to care.

KHyuga

Post by KHyuga »

Yeah I would think that leaving it on would be the least the forum could do ti repay phpBB as well.

rick`

Post by rick` »

I've removed it once on accident when I was hacking another theme to fix up some style and general design issues. Noticed when I uploaded it and refreshed the page - put it back right away :)

I'm actually quite proud to use phpBB as my forum software.
Considering that it's built by a community of voulenteers, yet still competes against paid software, that says something about the people behind it :)

redrider

Post by redrider »

I think it's cool - and besides, I agreed to.

LukiB

Post by LukiB »

One more reason why you´re stupid to remove it
Rules wrote: Members are requested to retain the full copyright as shown on the default subSilver template. If for good reason this message cannot be displayed we request at least the "Powered by phpBB" be retained with phpBB linked to www.phpbb.com ... said message should be plainly visible and not hidden in the background colour, and so forth. #

Members who remove (or fail to display on their own template) this message will receive no support here. Users found adding copyrights back for a short period and then removing them after obtaining support will find that future aid will not be given. #

mw-dnb

Post by mw-dnb »

you guys seem to be crying over spilt milk.

what will that link and text really do?

1. the developers aren't visiting your site.
2. the general populace of forum visitors don't care who made the forum or even what type of software it is. if you paid for it or if you're using open source it really doesn't matter to them.
3. the link gets you indexed for having phpbb installed (most peoples /phpbb/ in their URL give it away first though. really there is no hiding from it)

while I have the link and even the link to the themes author on my site - i can't say that this 'link' should warrant the responses it has. the link is an advertisement for phpbb (don't think that it isn't) so I can't say I would ever blame anyone for removing it or not agreeing with their reasons.

the fact that people USE phpbb so much should be appreciated by the developers. developing software myself, when thousands of people use it all the time it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. however do i need all those sites i developed to offer me some sort of homage? not at all. my software works and does what I built it to do - which is awesome in itself. i can't imagine any developer thinking any other way.
The brighest light burns out the quickest and you burn so very bright.
www.elementsofbass.com | For the breakbeat hardcore

Bobble

Post by Bobble »

mw-dnb I have to say that you are way off base here but I have to congratulate you on voicing a view that so obviously flies in the face of the majority view. phpBB, for all it is free and open-source, has to protect itself. If it was not for this "advert" I would not have found this software myself (or not until after I had paid for an alternative). I think a small text link for what represents hours of work and a lot of abuse (have you seen some of the messages they get here! :roll: ) is a very small price to pay.

andyofne

Post by andyofne »

My forum was hit by 'hackers' using an exploit that had not yet been patched.

Looking at the server logs it was clear that they used google to find sites using 'powered by phpbb'.

I can certainly see the case for taking it off if you have a serious forum.

Fortunately mine was a simple gaming clan forum and was easily rebuilt.

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

andyofne wrote: My forum was hit by 'hackers' using an exploit that had not yet been patched.

Looking at the server logs it was clear that they used google to find sites using 'powered by phpbb'.

I can certainly see the case for taking it off if you have a serious forum.

Fortunately mine was a simple gaming clan forum and was easily rebuilt.

Of course, keeping up-to-date with the latest version would be a better way to solve this problem rather than removing the phpBB footer ;).

Mark

geocator

Post by geocator »

mw-dnb wrote: while I have the link and even the link to the themes author on my site - i can't say that this 'link' should warrant the responses it has. the link is an advertisement for phpbb (don't think that it isn't) so I can't say I would ever blame anyone for removing it or not agreeing with their reasons.

It is more than advertisement, it is about giving credit where due. You did not design the software, so you should give credit to those that did. Yes it is partial advertisement, but that is not the main issue.

Any other software you use has a visible copyright, this is no different.

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Would you rather have to pay to remove the link?
With vB - you need to pay to get the software and pay to remove the Copyright.
The link doesn't bother me in the least - i like it.
Plus my forums are quite modified, its funny sometimes people asking - Is that really a phpBB forum 8O

:lol:
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Return to “phpBB Discussion”