Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
MihaiOnly

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by MihaiOnly » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:32 pm

It's not right to remove this text but sometimes is usefull because this makes hackers more unsure of what script are you useing and this makes your forum harder to hack(if you aren't so dump tu keep the docs folder).
Motorbike Games - Have fun with a motorcycle and your keyboard
English Forums - Come and perfect you English with us. Talk, ask questions and read unique content.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:05 pm

MihaiOnly wrote:It's not right to remove this text but sometimes is usefull because this makes hackers more unsure of what script are you useing and this makes your forum harder to hack
I'd like someone to confute this claim.
Whatever I say, it's not my fault.

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Or they (the attackers) could just look for "viewform.php" as opposed to "showthread.php" in the URL. Identifying software isn't that difficult.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:44 pm

That is exactly what they do - they have scripts that try to find known files in all the known main packages - each one they find, they then try a known vulnerability to try to infect.

Just look at your domain error logs to see - they are easy to pick out.

But this is getting a little off topic.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:16 pm

alkah2000 wrote:They had found the forum by searching for the string "powered by phpBB".
That is most unusual that they actually told you how they found your site. ;)

At the top of the Support forum is a long running anti spam topic. It takes about 5 minutes to stop these spambots dead in their tracks. I have installed the RAC mod on 6 sites now all showing the Powered by phpBB and not a single bot. If you were to do a Google search on any one of the bot names I am sure you would find that they had registered on boards powered by other software as well. I know as I have tested myself lots of times.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

IHMUN

Post by IHMUN » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:34 am

Yea, the Powered by phpBB string will always remain in my footer. If you're having problem with spam, it is time that you beefed up security.

MihaiOnly

Post by MihaiOnly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:58 am

I think that what alkah2000 done is not a form of disrespect for the phpBB developers.I'm sure they know that what is important is the backlink,so a simple

Code: Select all

<a href="http://www.phpbb.com" target="blank">Phpbb</a>
would be enough as a minimum thank for the work of the developers
Motorbike Games - Have fun with a motorcycle and your keyboard
English Forums - Come and perfect you English with us. Talk, ask questions and read unique content.

nobackseat88

Top Credit Banner Question

Post by nobackseat88 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Are you allowed to remove/replace the top banner? It says Phpbb creating communites. Can we replace it when our own or are we supposed to leave it?
Last edited by nobackseat88 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will_hough
Former Team Member
Name: Will Hough

Post by will_hough » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:17 pm

nobackseat88 wrote:Are you allowed to remove/replace the top banner? It says Phpbb creating communites. Can we replace it when our own or are we supposed to leave it?
Yes, you can replace it with your own.

nobackseat88

Post by nobackseat88 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:18 pm

Thank You.

Ishimaru Chiaki
Name: Caroline

Post by Ishimaru Chiaki » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:31 pm

Hello everyone.

As administrator of a phpBB2 forum who opened recently, in any case I won't remonve the "powered by phpBB" text, to respect the creators of this bulletin board script. On my footer, I only added the mention "Design by Ishimaru-Design", by the fact that the default design (my first phpBB2 style, based on a subSilver template) is a personal design I created.
Find my phpBB3 and GIMP tutorials on http://ishimaru.pingveno.net (New address)
My DeviantArt gallery

wildcatforums

Post by wildcatforums » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:22 pm

A quick question about this topic:

I once came across a forum, (I won't mention a name), that had removed the "Powered by phpBB" link. I later found out that they dedicated a whole page to phpBB, with the "Powered by phpBB" link on that page, but not on the actual forum. It was like on their home page or something. What is your opinion on this? I personally think it would be okay, as long as they leave the "powered by phpBB" link where it was.

Quillz
Name: Joseph

Post by Quillz » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:29 am

wildcatforums wrote:A quick question about this topic:

I once came across a forum, (I won't mention a name), that had removed the "Powered by phpBB" link. I later found out that they dedicated a whole page to phpBB, with the "Powered by phpBB" link on that page, but not on the actual forum. It was like on their home page or something. What is your opinion on this? I personally think it would be okay, as long as they leave the "powered by phpBB" link where it was.
I don't think it matters too much, so long as they aren't claiming that they created phpBB.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:31 am

wildcatforums wrote:A quick question about this topic:

As mentioned earlier they are free to do that, although they would not be entitled to support for their board from here :) To be entitled to support the footer copyright needs to be left in the footer and in tact :)

abble CoSa NoStrA

Post by abble CoSa NoStrA » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:04 am

hi
i could see on french support board (i'm in styles team) that beginners often remove copyright by ignorance
It suffices to explain why it is important and in general it will review the "powered by phpBB".
After for no beginners It's often a lack of respect and we can do nothing apart from not giving aid :|
Styles phpBB3 on order :
Cosa Nostra Design
Pizzeria L' Olivier

Return to “phpBB Discussion”