Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
BrentonEccles

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by BrentonEccles »

I wouldn't even begin to imagine removing it. Infact, I thought you had to keep it there, up until reading this thread.
"A church divided, is no church at all."
BrentonEccles.com
bretterer

Post by bretterer »

What do you think about people that take the style and build the code from scratch.. should the Powered by phpBB stay there?
Brian Retterer
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

Uh yeah...without the core code then he/she wouldn't be able to make that theme to power it... I mean, you can add your own Copyright but there still should be no reason to remove the powered by phpBB line.
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

bretterer wrote:What do you think about people that take the style and build the code from scratch.. should the Powered by phpBB stay there?
It's still powered by phpBB, also if it uses an other style ;)
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
LANFS
I've Been Banned!

Post by LANFS »

Scizz wrote:You don't get support if you remove the copyright! :)
That's the only reason I keep it there. :lol: Even that, to be complitly honest, I didn't get too much support arround here. :oops: Sory, but that is the truth. :roll:

I would like to remove it from the Administrator Panel footer, because no one sees it there and it's bothering me. I guess it is okay to remove it from there, but I don't know in what file I could do that. :?
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

adm/style/overall_footer.html

Just to prove you that you even get support here for strange things that are posted totally offtopic 8-)
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Post by dellsystem »

eviL<3 wrote:adm/style/overall_footer.html

Just to prove you that you even get support here for strange things that are posted totally offtopic 8-)
Or, templates/yourstylenamehere/admin/page_footer.tpl if you're using 2.0

*slaps self for even more offtopic posting
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)
Xboxsosmart

Post by Xboxsosmart »

Actully, removing the Powered by phpBB text is kinda copyright infigimenting (if its a word, but you know) I mean, it is kinda wrong to remove it, I want to see you creating bulletin board software for years and giving it out free? Kinda harsh, right?
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

^Agreed
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

In the actual definition of the term, it is not infringement. Morally right or not aside, it's perfectly legal.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

iWisdom wrote:In the actual definition of the term, it is not infringement. Morally right or not aside, it's perfectly legal.
No. The GPL states you must keep intact any copyright notice.
Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil »

The portion of the GPL regarding the copyright notice reads
You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.
Note that this is regarding copying and distributing the software, not private use ;)
Liquinn

Post by Liquinn »

iWisdom wrote:The portion of the GPL regarding the copyright notice reads
You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.
Note that this is regarding copying and distributing the software, not private use ;)
If you remove the copyright, it's not like anything will happen, right?
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.
Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil »

Liquinn wrote:
That's also true. Most open source projects lack the funding to pursue legal issues.
Liquinn

Post by Liquinn »

iWisdom wrote:
Liquinn wrote:
That's also true. Most open source projects lack the funding to pursue legal issues.
Yeah, if someone removed the copyright, they can't afford to take action.
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”