Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Jim_UK »

jazzking2001 wrote:you can buy phpBB2/3?
No it is free and will remain so.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

jazzking2001 wrote:you can buy phpBB2/3?
also its just best to not play around with the footer
No, phpBB has been free and always will. He was speaking of something like Vb which you have to pay for a yearly license I believe. Don't quote me on that but the point is, you have to buy it and I agree with him. If I pay $150 or however much it is...if I want to remove the copyright then I should be able too. I wouldn't though because if I chose software I had to buy over free software, chances are I really like it and to show my support I would leave it there.

Please don't edit this, I know it's off topic but it's to make a point.

To add to this, it's funny when huge warez sites that rank within the top 100 sites on the internet leave their copyrights for their forum software and whatever they didn't write. These are illegal sites(debatable) within the top 100 in the world and they link to the software they use to show their support. Yet, people who have sites that have maybe 1,000 members can't retain the copyright. To me, that's pathetic.
jazzking2001

Post by jazzking2001 »

i think VB costs $150 to buy it for life
maybe half the price for yearly price

well at least the copy right does not look bad
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

Drugs wrote:To add to this, it's funny when huge warez sites that rank within the top 100 sites on the internet leave their copyrights for their forum software and whatever they didn't write. These are illegal sites(debatable) within the top 100 in the world and they link to the software they use to show their support. Yet, people who have sites that have maybe 1,000 members can't retain the copyright. To me, that's pathetic.
sad, but true.

on another note, the developers really need to put their heads together about the wording of the copyright. right now, it says this:
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
wouldnt it make sense to have this instead?
Powered by phpBB © 2000 - 2007 phpBB Group
if we just keep adding years for each version of phpbb that comes out, the footer is going to get long... fast! plus, it covers every year that phpbb has been out from 2000 to whatever, unless phpbb didnt exist in 2001, 2003, 2004, and 2006. :?
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

I agree but then again, it's like that for a reason. Perhaps they didn't buy to copyright each year or something. Not sure how it works but I'm sure it's like that for some reason or another.

I really don't care though. It's at the very bottom of every page in regular sized text. If you seriously complain about it being there or the copyright being too long...well, you have problems in my eyes.

I enjoy when sites keep the copyright because I'm frequently checking out different website software from forums to blogs to torrent trackers to networking and it helps when sites retain copyright because it allows me to find out what software it is and link me to a site allowing me to learn about it, therefore spreading the word for software that is provided free of charge. Is that so much to ask for? Especially considering how great the support is.

The further my support, I added phpBB in my affiliates.
Last edited by Tripp on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

A_O_C wrote:on another note, the developers really need to put their heads together about the wording of the copyright. right now, it says this: