Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Ultimos Homo Statans
I've Been Banned!

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Ultimos Homo Statans » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:33 am

What is the point of keeping powered by phpBB text in phpBB2 boards? The support for us will end in a few days. :) 80% of the phpBB forums on the internet are phpBB2. I think all this people have to take out that text because the support is over for some time, just not official... But who ask help for phpBB2, rarelly receives it. :wink:

After 1 cotomber I will take out that text. :)

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Name: Andreas Fischer

Post by bantu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:58 am

What is the point of keeping powered by phpBB text in phpBB2 boards?
Maybe just to show some respect to the people who built/wrote the software you're using for free? :)
Powered by Coffee

Ultimos Homo Statans
I've Been Banned!

Post by Ultimos Homo Statans » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I guess I showed my respect by keeping it for two years and 4 months. ;) That's enough, if no support, then no text. :ugeek:

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:I guess I showed my respect by keeping it for two years and 4 months. ;) That's enough, if no support, then no text. :ugeek:
Reading this I don't think that you kept the copyright out of respect, but only for the support. If you really respect the people who created the software you are using you should keep the copyright no matter it is supported or not.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Ultimos Homo Statans
I've Been Banned!

Post by Ultimos Homo Statans » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:59 pm

It's easy for you to say, since you're using the supported version. ;) I would be curious if tomorrow phpBB.com didn't exist anymore, if you'ld keep your text. :D

And also, you are true about the respect they deserve, but also, I think the people who use it deserve respect, because if noone used it, then no point in creating it. And if no support... I don't think that would be respect. :(

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:04 pm

I run a phpBB2 board, actually, and I fully intend to keep the text for as long as the board exists. It's a way of paying back the endless users who have spent tens of thousands of hours working on the software -- be it in development, support, etc. -- to make it what it has become. It's not a matter of support ending, really.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:It's easy for you to say, since you're using the supported version. ;) I would be curious if tomorrow phpBB.com didn't exist anymore, if you'ld keep your text. :D

I am sure the ones that kept it already would keep it.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

TheIlluminative
Former Team Member
Name: Mahmoud

Post by TheIlluminative » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Let's assume you made a script for free for others to use ? Wouldn't you want your copyrights to be put ? If they were taken out, you wouldn't support them.

Well, now your script is being widely used, and you launch a newer version where old version will not be useful anymore, wouldn't you neglect the support for the older one ?

phpBB2, runs on PHP4 no higher, and now PHP6 has been launched, you don't want your forum to be running on a threatening version, where you could possibly easily get hacked, phpBB3 is better of course.

Take my advice, you should consider converting to phpBB3, for your own good :) .
Last edited by TheIlluminative on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:It's easy for you to say, since you're using the supported version. ;)
I'm not running only 3.0 boards if that is what you mean. The two largest boards I help maintain are 2.0 based ;)
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:I would be curious if tomorrow phpBB.com didn't exist anymore, if you'ld keep your text. :D
Yes, I didn't create this great peace of software so yes I'd keep it (I'm proud to show that I use phpBB). That is the reason I keep it on all my boards atm, not for the support cause I can't remember the last time I has a serious issue that I couldn't fix myself ;).
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:And also, you are true about the respect they deserve, but also, I think the people who use it deserve respect, because if noone used it, then no point in creating it. And if no support... I don't think that would be respect. :(
There are various reasons for dropping support, and non of them has to do with not respecting their users (but that is a totally different discussion which we had a couple of times :)).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:02 pm

Based on that logic, I could remove the copyright, since I don’t receive any support for the version of phpBB that I’m running. But I don’t remove it because it is a sign of respect and to show who actually built the software, no matter what version I am running. If phpBB ceased to exist tomorrow, I will still retain the copyright, as I’m sure most people would. Only those who really do not have any respect for the people who put their time and effort into the software would remove it.
Removing the "powered by" text is basically lying about who created the software. -- It is insinuating that you built it, which you didn’t. phpBB and the developers created the software.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Yes, that is a very sorry reason to remove the copyright.

Not to mention, what does support have to do with anything? Would you mind filling us in where you read you are guaranteed support? Last time I checked, this was open source software that you're free to use, but no one is technically REQUIRED to help anyone.
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:What is the point of keeping powered by phpBB text in phpBB2 boards? The support for us will end in a few days. :) 80% of the phpBB forums on the internet are phpBB2. I think all this people have to take out that text because the support is over for some time, just not official... But who ask help for phpBB2, rarelly receives it. :wink:

After 1 cotomber I will take out that text. :)
Well in that case, we should probably just stop answering your questions now. I mean, you've told us that you plan on removing the copyright anyway, so I think it only makes sense.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Highway of Life wrote:Based on that logic, I could remove the copyright, since I don’t receive any support for the version of phpBB that I’m running. But I don’t remove it because it is a sign of respect and to show who actually built the software, no matter what version I am running. If phpBB ceased to exist tomorrow, I will still retain the copyright, as I’m sure most people would. Only those who really do not have any respect for the people who put their time and effort into the software would remove it.
Removing the "powered by" text is basically lying about who created the software. -- It is insinuating that you built it, which you didn’t. phpBB and the developers created the software.
Totally agreed here.

@ Ultimos Homo Statans: Does that text harms your forum? Does removing it makes it better running your board? Does removing it and putting there something you like (ie: I did it myself and I'm a great programmer/coder, powered by myself, copyright by Ultimos Homo Statans in 1970 to 2008, or the like) makes you very happy? if so go ahead.

We all have spent a lot of time understanding your enquiry, also if only lurking at it.

:geek:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:29 pm

For being something so...unnoticeable and insignificant...you people, those complaining about it, sure do complain a lot about nothing. Go ahead and remove it...that way we don't have to provide support for you cry babies! :roll:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Highway of Life wrote: Removing the "powered by" text is basically lying about who created the software. -- It is insinuating that you built it, which you didn’t. phpBB and the developers created the software.
Is that logical? How can "nothing" represent "something"? :?
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Return to “phpBB Discussion”