Is Evolution Inevitable?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Arglwydd

Is Evolution Inevitable?

Post by Arglwydd »

Okay, seeing Olympus being used here in a live environment has forced me to finally consider the possibility that I will soon have to make that difficult decision; should I leave phpBB2 in favour of the apparently greener grasses of Olympus, or should I stick with what I know? Now, before I get bombarded with a multitude of topics warning against using beta technology in a live environment, I would like to clarify upon my conundrum. I am not asking, should I immediately go and download Olympus Beta 5 and install it for my forums. What I am wondering is, when a RC is finally announced, what should I do? Which MODs are going to transcend the 2-3 gap? Now I'm assuming that some of the bigger MODs such as the Cash MOD will be quick to pass over. But what about the little ones? The small, insignificant MODs that only a handful of people use. What about my Quotes in Header MOD? How long till it's released on Olympus? Will it ever be? What about all the time I've spent making little personal tweaks to my sites, most of which I don't even remember day to day. For me, not a technician confident in my abilities by any stretch, the thought of starting over from scratch is a daunting one. And yet at the same time, I don't want to still be using phpBB2.0 when the support starts to dwindle, the new releases stop coming, and everybody who stumbles upon your site wonders what outlandish bulletin board technology is powering it. I realise deep down that eventually I am going to have to convert. Surely I can't keep using phpBB2.0 forever. Surely my members are going to be wondering what these strange new boards they see sprouting up across the net are. People will probably start calling us 'lefties' or something, because our display pictures are on the wrong side of the screen. In the end, it seems we face a hard decision. Should we convert to Olympus, and possibly lose some of our long-used and much-loved MODs, and with them a part of our site's individuality, or do we remain sitting in the fading gloom of phpBB2.0 like the caveman still dragging his club around and eating raw meat, whilst all his friends scoot around on these new-fangled wheel devices.

Edit: I've just noticed that the preview takes into account the profile column so the text actually shows up just as it will when you submit it. Damn that's neat!
MythicalRealmRPG.net! A roleplaying site for adult writers!
LCNA - A mafia-themed text-based roleplaying game for all ages!

Nenad

Re: Is Evolution Inevitable?

Post by Nenad »

We've waited this long, a little longer won't do any harm, and the progress looks great now. If you have a big forum maybe it's best to wait until the gold release and then some, avoid the bugs and issues.

Must nitpick though, the unjustified text with the right-aligned profile is a little disconcerting, I guess I'll get used to it, and the report icon, is it meant to be a pixel higher than the quote button?

Arglwydd

Post by Arglwydd »

Nenad wrote: and the report icon, is it meant to be a pixel higher than the quote button?

That might be because the speech marks are protruding over the top of the quote icon. I don't know, I'm not really a graphics man or a great tech guy. Just from my perceptions though.

It's actually not so much that I'm impatient to upgrade, as that I'm fearful I'm going to have no other choice. I mean, this whole new set-up is pretty cool, I've got to admit. And so far I've only experienced the aesthetic pluses. I'm sure there are loads of cool extras too. But I'm worried about the potentially permanent loss of some MODs, as well as the potential loss of my database (I'm not yet sure whether phpBB2.0 databases will be compatible with Olympus. From what I've read so far, they may not be.)
MythicalRealmRPG.net! A roleplaying site for adult writers!
LCNA - A mafia-themed text-based roleplaying game for all ages!

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

About your database point: it won't be compatible, but there will be an upgrader.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Nenad

Post by Nenad »

As for mods, I'm going to be waiting for an upgrade to the Album mod, I heard it was going to be written, but no sign of any work yet, if all else fails then some custom script to export the pictures and database info into one of the standalone gallery scripts, then upgrade, so for me still a long while off, I expect during the summer.

The small and popular mods will surely get ported, apart from those that are now standard features, as long as there is at least a small demand, and the community is so big I'm sure there will be lots of demand for it.

rossmcclymont

Post by rossmcclymont »

You have to remember that you don't have to use this style - you can have the profile wherever you want in topics. ;)

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

Many mods (such as cashmod) are already done/in development :)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

However, they aren't finalized due to code changes that are sure to occur between now and 3.0 :D
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

ezlynx

Post by ezlynx »

Arglwydd, drives me nuts having the name on the right. I don't want to work to find out who I am reading. If you switch at some time and want it to look different, you can always mess with the viewtopic page.

Will wait for hacks. Can't live without one that crippled my board but hey! I figured out how to limit its use so the board is back to being zippy.

I admire all those who have put in such work to produce this lovely board. I'll get more used to it with time. Already see it as a friendly board and can imagine even more people using phpBB.

Tmac

Post by Tmac »

I feel your pain hehehe

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

ezlynx wrote: I don't want to work to find out who I am reading.

It took a bit for me to notice it, but the poster is right below the post title, to the right of the timestamp, as well as on the far right. :)

MORT A POTTY

Post by MORT A POTTY »

nobody can possibly tell you when each exact mod will be ported over, but I can say significant work has already gone into making sure a LOT of mods will be ready when Olympus is.
~Stephen~

transm

Post by transm »

Anyone not planning to ever upgrade to PHPBB3??

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Not ever? Don't think I can say that. :) But I haven't converted yet.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

transm wrote:Anyone not planning to ever upgrade to PHPBB3??
Seeing as how I've helped many v2 users who contacted me privately over the last six months after they were told version 2 is no longer officially supported I suspect the answer to your question is yes, although you will likely not get many community members admitting it publicly. ;)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”