Is Evolution Inevitable?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Re: Is Evolution Inevitable?

Post by SamG »

The fact that phpBB 2 no longer fits into phpBB.com doesn't mean in itself that phpBB 2 is not a viable forum solution. But I've said before and will say again that until phpBB 2[+] operators understand the distinction between their legitimate interests and the software as software, phpBB 2 is a dead end. It's inevitable that at some point the interest in phpBB 2 itself will wane to nothing (if it hasn't already), and it's inevitable that existing, highly customized phpBB 2 installations will get harder to support and beyond the skills of their administrators, collectively and individually.

Since the bulk (but absolutely not all) of phpBB 2 "supporters" I've run across have tended to be provincial (interested in supporting existing installations only) rather than community minded (interested in phpBB 2 itself), the group of people you might naturally and reasonably anticipate to help retain phpBB 2 as a viable offering have not been so inclined. I get that now (their rhetoric confused me at first), but they're merely delaying the inevitable. Obstinance over "phpBB 2 forever" not withstanding.
We should talk less, and say more.
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

SamG wrote:The fact that phpBB 2 no longer fits into phpBB.com doesn't mean in itself that phpBB 2 is not a viable forum solution. But I've said before and will say again that until phpBB 2[+] operators understand the distinction between their legitimate interests and the software as software, phpBB 2 is a dead end. It's inevitable that at some point the interest in phpBB 2 itself will wane to nothing (if it hasn't already), and it's inevitable that existing, highly customized phpBB 2 installations will get harder to support and beyond the skills of their administrators, collectively and individually.

Since the bulk (but absolutely not all) of phpBB 2 "supporters" I've run across have tended to be provincial (interested in supporting existing installations only) rather than community minded (interested in phpBB 2 itself), the group of people you might naturally and reasonably anticipate to help retain phpBB 2 as a viable offering have not been so inclined. I get that now (their rhetoric confused me at first), but they're merely delaying the inevitable. Obstinance over "phpBB 2 forever" not withstanding.
So aside from waxing philosophic about the demise of phpBB2 was there an answer to the question in there somewhere? :P I do not think the phpBB2 torch needs to be passed in order for someone to never convert to version 3, there are plenty of converters to other bb packages available for those left behind if and when they choose to abandon ship or it sinks whichever comes first. ;)
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Converting isn't "evolution." So the answer to the question is in there. Look for some form of the word "inevitable." :P

The reason to wax philosophic is because there are thinking people (transm among them, perhaps) who continue to deny phpBB 2 is in a fragile position. My personal favorite among the blunter forms of the same discussion is the nice, concise label given to phpBB 2 support sites of the provincial variety: "phpBB 2 Hospice." :mrgreen:
We should talk less, and say more.
Marcbrz

Post by Marcbrz »

Sometimes I want to write some words about phpbb2 but I'm little afraid not only because english wasn't my mother tong and I still had had problems with some words, and nouns also. But may be I'm one of the "dinosaurs" who's still using phbpp2 and I have in my opinion at least four good reasons to not "evolute" to phpbb3. Anyway I agree that's inevitable. If I can postpone that as far as possible I'll be fine. I'm still using phpbb3 in localhost for learning purposes.

1) I can't understand permissions in phpbb3. Even I can set it correct (I hope so). So I can do that but I can't understand all the levels and why exists "yes" "no" "never"
2) Mods in phpbb2 are easy to install and we can found a lot of that really works. Mods "validated" in phbpp3 looks like a puzzle game. I made a test, send ten mods to friends (at least nine friends with a good acknowledgement about php) and ask them to install in phpbb3. Only one could do that and he's a PHD in programming. I ask for some help but he's have a lot things to do and.........nevermind.
3) I have a Mod in phpbb2 than can made a real log from everything was done in my board such as a deep breath from the user :mrgreen: . Phpbb3 log not a real log (or I don't know how to use it).
4) I have my phpbb2 board since second release and until today I haven't any security or other problems related to that. And I have a trash bin for admin only :lol:

I can not get rid of that false sense of changing the phpbb2 to phpbb3, I actually moving from Windows XP to Windows Vista, even with a wrong impression, I'd rather wait for Windows 7 "phpbb 3.0.6"
Or may be I'm really a dinosaur because I'm using winxp and phpbb2 :oops:

Tks
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

Marcbrz wrote:But may be I'm one of the "dinosaurs" who's still using phbpp2 and I have in my opinion at least four good reasons to not "evolute" to phpbb3. Anyway I agree that's inevitable.
As long as converters to other software exist then it is not inevitable. ;)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”