Prosilver style: first impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Mike Godwin

Re: Prosilver style: first impressions

Post by Mike Godwin »

I love it and can hardly wait to get my hands on it. Great job, guys!!!
cwcollector

Post by cwcollector »

I am having trouble telling where one post ends and another starts. I think there needs to be a clearer separation.
sm71

Post by sm71 »

I must say my first impression was, quite frankly, "bleh, I don't like it at all", but if the subject was "prosilver style: second impressions" that's a different story.
Most of my doubts are the same as those that have been brought up repeatedly throughout the thread (eg. mini profile on right, fixed width, subject font too large).
The biggest thing this theme has going for it though, IMHO, is that, if indeed it is entirely CSS based, it will be an extremely adaptable theme. (I like when I see comments such as "it only takes 2 lines of CSS to change" :D ).
I mean seriously, how many of you actually keep your forum looking like the default theme that ships with the product? I certainly don't, and my personal feeling is it's a bad idea to do so if your wanting to project a feeling of "my forum is not like anyone else's".
Guilford Garden Center - "Where Gardening Is Fun"
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

cwcollector wrote: I am having trouble telling where one post ends and another starts. I think there needs to be a clearer separation.

I had that issue when I first saw the style. Seems my monitor's brightness was a bit too high, and the contrast was too low. Adjusting those a bit might help. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Yautja_cetanu

Post by Yautja_cetanu »

Yeah I think I'm posting my Second impressions. I think my first impressions were "aaaaah!" more due to suprise then anything else. And being a bit scared that things weren't where I thought they would be.

My second impressions

I think, its probably amazing...

I've been wanting to spend some work on a proper theme for our site and we've been really inspired by gaiaonline specifically. I really think prosilver take all the elements of gaiaonline that we wanted.
  • Pros
  • I love the fact that there is no more orange! (red is a much better colour)
  • I love the use of style sheets (and the ability to change things through the admin panel).
  • I REALLY like the fact that "Upload attachments" is in a new tab. I think the posting page has been getting a bit too complicated. Especially with mods like a Calender mod. Looking forward to adding more tabs :D!
  • I love the colours with the UCP, all other UCPs I've seen have looked really daunting but phpbb still remains simple
  • We were going to change our posting info to the right anyway but didn't want to do it because it went against the standard (We're thinking what will be easiest for a noob?) so now we'll definitely go for it! I tend to focus on posting more then the poster anyway
  • I like the fact that when you hover over a forum on index.php the dividers change colour, I really like the way gaiaonline had no dividers between topics and changed colour when you hover. I think too many dividers horribly clutter up a page but if you have nothing its hard to read information across the row. So hovers that change colour deal with both issues
  • I like the pale colour scheme of phpbb.com, find it much easier on the eyes.
  • I like where "View your posts" is located. On Subsilver is didn't really make much sense imo
  • Love the new buttons like the whole "off" button for logout
  • I think I like the new search bar though we'll have to see what that looks like when we get prosilver properly

Cons
  • Stickies seems slightly more confusing
[*]Feels slower in IE7 (and generally slower then subsilver2)
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

AdamR wrote:
cwcollector wrote: I am having trouble telling where one post ends and another starts. I think there needs to be a clearer separation.

I had that issue when I first saw the style. Seems my monitor's brightness was a bit too high, and the contrast was too low. Adjusting those a bit might help. :)

- Adam
This is another reason why I think the bigger subject text works. It helps separate posts.
laremere

◇My Prosilver style first impressions☆

Post by laremere »

Personaly,
I love the overal look. The posting profile looks nice, expesily the online strip and the Pm, Website, msn, ect are in it. The fact that the username is the color of the user states and it links to the profile is realy great, I've whanted this....
Also, the big post title is great, now there is a reason to put one in....
My bigest dislike is the profile being on the right, very inconvenent....

I just notised that there is a quote button in the topic review, VERY nice...
Hi....
Tanapangarap

Post by Tanapangarap »

I think I may want to change is the size of the user name, but it's no big deal.

I also wish that pressing on that page icon on the left of the post did the same thing vb does and brings you to a page to view that post by itself, and a permanent link (i.e.--for every page showing only that individual post, it has its own link that one can use to go back to that page with that individual post), but maybe there will be a MOD for it.
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 »

Yeah, I think the username in the miniprofile could be a bit bigger too, to distinguish it from the rest of the text (like the rank, etc.).
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

Small update: postauthor is now bold again. Originally it was bold and red, but then someone decided to add the infamous group colour feature and we needed to change it back. Bold it is.
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 »

Excellent, much better. :)
alvo

Icons are terrible

Post by alvo »

The icons may be pretty to look at, but what's the point of having them if they aren't obvious what they're there for? Here's my guesses, based on using phpBB. I'd imagine that someone new to a phpBB forums that first encounters these would be totally befuddled by them:
Image = Forum Section
Image = ?
Image = Announcement
Image = Light Bulb / Idea
Image = Moved Topic
Image = Forum Topic
Image = Forum Topic
Image = Locked
Image = Long Topic
Image = ?

I have no idea why "Announcements" is identified by the letter i, what the star signifies (something special?), nor can I tell the difference between the two "Forum Topic" icons other than one is medium blue and the other is medium gray. There are a number of other usability issues, some a carry over from SubSilver (See https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... y#p2647112 for a discussion of fixing some of them).
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

Red indicates unread posts.
The star indicates that you have posted in the topic.
The lock indicates it's locked.
i is an announcement.
The exclamation mark is a sticky.
Arrow pointing up is moved topic.
Arrow pointing down is link "forum".
Animated icon means "hot" topic.
Icon with a smaller one in its bottom right means it has subfora.

To be honest, if you've ever used a bulletin board before, it's pretty obvious what they are from their placement and use.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)
laremere

Post by laremere »

I think the usernames could be a little bigger (bold is nice, but they're a liittle small)

And Y is the mini profile on the right?

edit: I just double posted :oops:
I can't find the deleate post button...
Last edited by laremere on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi....
laremere

Post by laremere »

I think the usernames could be a little bigger (bold is nice, but they're a liittle small)

And Y is the mini profile on the right?
Hi....

Return to “phpBB Discussion”