TLS SMTP Support?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
mempf

TLS SMTP Support?

Post by mempf »

Will phpBB3 support TLS smtp so gmail can be used as a smtp option?

Thanks

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Re: TLS SMTP Support?

Post by pentapenguin »

I haven't tried it but I believe you can use Gmail with Olympus.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

TasDevil

Post by TasDevil »

It works with any phpBB if your server supports it: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0#p2468502

Tas.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

TasDevil wrote: It works with any phpBB if your server supports it: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0#p2468502

Tas.

I think the original poster meant via the email settings in the ACP though ;)

TasDevil

Post by TasDevil »

karlsemple wrote: I think the original poster meant via the email settings in the ACP though ;)

Yes, via email settings. Though phpBB is "just" PHP code, and whatever settings are used within the phpBB ACP, it passes them to the PHP installation on the server. If PHP (and other code which PHP may use for email) supports all the crypto stuff for GMail, it'll work, otherwise not.

I think it's like with email in general: If the server allows outgoing connections on port 25 or has PHP mail() enabled, phpBB email works, otherwise not. It depends on the server configuration.

Tas.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

TasDevil wrote:
karlsemple wrote: I think the original poster meant via the email settings in the ACP though ;)

Yes, via email settings. Though phpBB is "just" PHP code, and whatever settings are used within the phpBB ACP, it passes them to the PHP installation on the server. If PHP (and other code which PHP may use for email) supports all the crypto stuff for GMail, it'll work, otherwise not.

I think it's like with email in general: If the server allows outgoing connections on port 25 or has PHP mail() enabled, phpBB email works, otherwise not. It depends on the server configuration.

Tas.

<sarcasm>thanks for the php lesson 8) </sarcam>

Slipgrid

Post by Slipgrid »

I think the goal here was to avoid configuring sendmail, and running his own server. If he does that, then he doesn't need gmail.

narcussist
Name: Sean Bianchi

Post by narcussist »

any update on how to add TLS smtp support to phpBB3 yet?

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

I was just looking through the code of phpMailer and figured out how to get mailings to work with GMail and others in phpBB3. I assume it is dependent on php being compiled with some sort of SSL/TLS support, but I have no idea exactly what I'll admit.

Use these as the SMTP settings:

SMTP server address: tls://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP server port: 465
Authentication method for SMTP: Plain
SMTP username: your_name@gmail.com
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

rogersmithiii

Post by rogersmithiii »

E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/bbsforum/ucp.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 0 : Unable to find the socket transport "tls" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/functions_messenger.php</b> on line <b>835</b>: <b>fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Unable to find the socket transport "tls" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?)</b><br />

I'm getting this error when I try to configure PHPBB to use Gmail as described above. Does someone have specific instructions for discovering how to turn on Open SSL or enabling tls?

Thanks

Rog

narcussist

Post by narcussist »

rogersmithiii wrote:E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/bbsforum/ucp.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 0 : Unable to find the socket transport "tls" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?

<b>[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice</b>: in file <b>/includes/functions_messenger.php</b> on line <b>835</b>: <b>fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Unable to find the socket transport "tls" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?)</b><br />

I'm getting this error when I try to configure PHPBB to use Gmail as described above. Does someone have specific instructions for discovering how to turn on Open SSL or enabling tls?

Thanks

Rog
try this:

SMTP server address: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
Authentication method for SMTP: LOGIN

also to be on the safe side, make sure you have the extention php_openssl enabled in your php.ini

rogersmithiii

Post by rogersmithiii »

narcussist wrote:
rogersmithiii wrote:E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/bbsforum/ucp.php

Thanks

Rog
try this:

SMTP server address: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
Authentication method for SMTP: LOGIN

also to be on the safe side, make sure you have the extention php_openssl enabled in your php.ini

You must be freakin' Santa Claus. Either that, or a God. I've been searching for an answer to this problem for three days. NO ONE had a solution, and I couldn't find anything on any web page.

Your solution worked perfectly. I uncommented OPENSSL.dll in the PHP.INI file, and then changed the Gmail reference to SSL. Worked perfectly. Sweet!!!! Seriously, I really appreciate that you took the time to help. I hope that Santa drops some phat loot down the chimney this year!

Start signing your name

Wyle E. Coyote. Super Genius!

Rog

I would still like to know how to install TLS in PHP though. :-)

narcussist

Post by narcussist »

I am glad it worked for you, and I cant use Wile Coyotes name, it is too smart for me.

as for TLS in PHP that is a good question, I never tried to mess with that yet.

Anyways good luck on your forums, as mine is going really slow, hahahahaha,

millie33

Post by millie33 »

Thank you Thank you!

Slackervaara

Post by Slackervaara »

Most grateful for this. Have phpBB 3.0.14 and I can't upgrade due to a bridge I use for Joomla. My web host One.com changed mail settings and mail from phpBB3 stopped working. But using ssl://, port 465 and authentication method LOGIN worked very well. The password for One.com SMTP is the password you use when you log in on web mail.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”