Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO?

Post by romans1423 »

Just curious, but I'm wondering what the advantage of having the forum ID in a topics' URL is (i.e., viewtopic.php?f=64&t=527269)?

Were Google to index it or others link to it, wouldn't the links break if the topic was moved into another forum, changing the URL to, say, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=527269?
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO?

Post by AdamR »

romans1423 wrote: Were Google to index it or others link to it, wouldn't the links break if the topic was moved into another forum, changing the URL to, say, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=527269?

Try it. :P

Don't quote me on this, but I believe this has its roots in requiring just one less query to be run on the database on every load.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

No moving it does not break the link :) just tested it, it still points to the post.
romans1423

Post by romans1423 »

Neat, thanks for checking. Just trying to keep up on phpBB & how it responds to search bots so I can keep answering such questions in the forums here.
espenhh

Don't forget about global announcements!

Post by espenhh »

I have heard that it has something to do with the new function that allows global announcements.. When you look at one of them, you still needs to be able to determine which forum you are in ;-)
ALT du trenger til phpBB - på Norsk!
Besøk phpbb.no:
romans1423

Post by romans1423 »

Ah, I hadn't thought of that! Cheers!
tqm_z2

Post by tqm_z2 »

I don't know why Olympus dev did not focused on clean url's, everybody knows Google love it.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

By the same token, it could be argued that what message boards contain shouldn't be indexed on google, because it’s mostly meaningless chatter (generalization) instead of useful content, with a few exceptions.

What do you mean by "clean url"? :?
What to you is a clean url?
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Google doesn't give two figs about the url and processes them anyway regardless.

I mean there are countless 2.0 boards google has gone and indexed with a SID in the URL perfectly fine. Of course in phpBB3 that mess has been cleaned up and google is no-longer presented with an SID when it visits a forum.
Systems Engineering
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

smithy_dll wrote: Of course in phpBB3 that mess has been cleaned up and google is no-longer presented with an SID when it visits a forum.
Exactly!
So in response to the poster... They are clean URLs. ;)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
romans1423

Post by romans1423 »

Perhaps what is being alluded to are URLs that are rich with keywords -- the URL is valuable keyword space, anyway. A domain name contains some, but each page's unique URI could also contain them, as is quite often done on blogs.

However, as a search engine's ability to process the content on a page increases, the need to rely on "meta" information (URL, META tags, etc.) decreases.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

I've probably missed it, but has anybody—including the blogs—come up with a way to generate "clean" or "keyword-rich" URIs that doesn't depend on Apache? WordPress's link options appear to be limited to Apache support, unless I've missed it there, too. If true, that adds a difficulty to comparisons of an "old school" project like phpBB, where platform independence/inclusiveness is a priority, to "new school" projects like WordPress, where platform ubiquity is the draw.
romans1423

Post by romans1423 »

Unless I am mistaken, there are multiple possible ways to use clean(er) URLs in MediaWiki; I seem to recall a couple which did not require Apache, though I might be mistaken. The MediaWiki documentation is rather lacking in organization and structure at quite a few points, I've found. :(
DK

Post by DK »

romans1423 wrote: Unless I am mistaken, there are multiple possible ways to use clean(er) URLs in MediaWiki; I seem to recall a couple which did not require Apache, though I might be mistaken. The MediaWiki documentation is rather lacking in organization and structure at quite a few points, I've found. :(

I think what people are saying is the bot's come in and spider it differently than you see it, part of which is cleaning up the URLs. I remember reading this on the area51 site in relation to the GoogleBot you'll see logged in sometimes. :D
cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

SamG wrote: I've probably missed it, but has anybody—including the blogs—come up with a way to generate "clean" or "keyword-rich" URIs that doesn't depend on Apache?

There is a way to tag stuff on after the filename (e.g. /index.php/blah/blah/blah) which is kinda server independent. IMHO those urls look worse than the query string urls.

Lighttpd supports rules similar to Apache for making clean urls.
IIS supports absolutely nothing for making urls prettier.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”