Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO?

Post by thecoalman »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=587040

PR6 (out of 10) isn't really that high.
You can ignore that, at least the moment. It's not affecting the results form my own experinece and what i have read. By high ranking site I meant it was what is referrred to as an authority site. The reports that i have read from webmasters that have reported drops in rankings all indicate that their referrals from google have not decreased, nor have they moved in the search engine results... at least for the moment.

My site dropped two ranks, I have no idea why because I don't serve ads. My referrals from Google have doubled since then so they can drop it to 0 if they want. :lol:
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

thecoalman wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: Nobody wants to get ranked for that term anyway. :lol:
I guess "Out of the box SEO" is also undesirable.

http://www.google.com/search?q=out+of+the+box+seo
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Kellanved wrote:
I guess "Out of the box SEO" is also undesirable.

http://www.google.com/search?q=out+of+the+box+seo
Truthfully being at the top for any search result isn't undesirable but how many people do you think are going to search for that? Not many, desirable keywords or phrases for your particular niche is what you want.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

thecoalman wrote:Truthfully being at the top for any search result isn't undesirable but how many people do you think are going to search for that? Not many, desirable keywords or phrases for your particular niche is what you want.
I think kellanved was being sarcastic, because for both the SEO topics in this forum, phpBB.com comes up in the first 5 results, this is never a bad thing. But because some people think that phpBB3 is so poor at SEO, why does it do so good at these search terms? ... it must be that the terms are undesirable. ;) :P
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Highway of Life wrote: But because some people think that phpBB3 is so poor at SEO, why does it do so good at these search terms? ... it must be that the terms are undesirable. ;) :P
Anything is going to get indexed, which is half the trouble. All the suggestions I've made are really to improve what's there for both the user and the search engine. A well optimized site is or should also be user friendly. If the bots can find there way around easily so will a human. ;) Search engine results depend on more than just good SEO but it certainly doesn't hurt to use it. The key word is optimization.

I can certainly agree that cutting corners on usability is not the way to go. That's the way I build my own pages with user in mind.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Just came across another advantage of having one single URL per page. I was in the position of having to shut my forum down on my current server or they were going to completely shut the domain off. In the interim I ran crawler across a local copy to generate static pages. Being that I have removed duplicates it didn't generate thousands and thousands of extras.

ascensions

Post by ascensions »

TheCoalMan... I'm convinced, there are two types of people in this world. Ones who can understand SEO, and those who can't. It's clear, no amount of proof will change the issue.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

ascensions wrote:TheCoalMan... I'm convinced, there are two types of people in this world. Ones who can understand SEO, and those who can't. It's clear, no amount of proof will change the issue.
If that's a jab at people in this topic who haven't jumped out and agreed with you, I would suggest you rethink it. Just because we don't see the need for phpBB to implement every so-called SEO under the sun, doesn't mean we can't understand the principles. Heck, I've said elsewhere that I can agree to a couple of techniques to make things easier on users, but therein lies the problem. It doesn't matter if search engines index your site 5 and a half different ways if users can't navigate and link and use your site.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

Indeed, TM, which is why the top two SEO tips will always be user-centric: the better content you have and the better in-links you have, the better off you are -- whether Google thinks you're a 10 or a 2.

When we start catering to algorithms rather than users, our service to our users almost inevitably suffers. There's a reason why it isn't uncommon to find people talking about how they're giving up on Google and aren't going to worry about pandering to every little nuance of Googlebot's behavior.

phpBB works, and it works very well for what it is advertised to do. When combined with a thriving community, quality content from that community, and the gaining of attention from other sites... well, whether SEO'ed or not, the traffic will come.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I couldn't agree more Romans, good content is the most important key. Building a site for SE's is not in the equation but the most basic SEO is actually geared towards the user. Presenting that content to a SE in way that it can easily crawl and produce well formed titles and descriptions is to the advantage of the user and the SE both. I've just recently switched to phpbb3 live and have installed a few SEO mods which are better than the ones I was using previously and I'm happy to say the turn over rate in Googles index is quite fast. That wouldn't be happening if I hadn't taken care of the duplication issue in phpbb2 more than year ago. Google reports just about the exact amount pages my forum can generate, according to webmastertools the amount of pages it crawls it can crawl my whole site in 3 days.

Let's take this for topic for example, if you searc for the exact phrase it's number one but it takes you to 5th page here's the description result:
phpBB • View topic - Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO?
Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO? Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB3 here. Non-phpBB related discussion ...
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&start=60 - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
Now if your a user searching for pages don't you think it would be better if it was:
Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO? - Page 5 • phpBB
Just curious, but I'm wondering what the advantage of having the forum ID in a topics' URL is (i.e., viewtopic.php?f=64&t=527269)? ...
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 40start=60 - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
Note that the description is your first sentence that was used, providing a decent description for forums becomes an issue and that is probably the best alternative. Out of the five pages in this topic only two are indexed that I can find, and something that is not a surprise to me is the first page is not one of them.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek »

In the Windows task bar and browser tab bar, there's very limited space. So the most important part should be at the front of the title. And that most important part isn't phpBB - View Topic.

What is the reason for not doing this?
ascensions

Post by ascensions »

Techie-Micheal wrote:If that's a jab at people in this topic who haven't jumped out and agreed with you, I would suggest you rethink it. Just because we don't see the need for phpBB to implement every so-called SEO under the sun, doesn't mean we can't understand the principles. Heck, I've said elsewhere that I can agree to a couple of techniques to make things easier on users, but therein lies the problem. It doesn't matter if search engines index your site 5 and a half different ways if users can't navigate and link and use your site.
No jab, and no offense meant.

The idea's I put forth don't really effect the users experience, if anything it improves it.

In all honesty, I downloaded RC8 yesterday and really like how the RCs are coming along, and wanted to thank and commend the staff for it.

However, I'm still inclined to believe the cannocolizations should be corrected, and the posts should be served client side, rather then server side.
Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek »

Olaf van der Spek wrote:In the Windows task bar and browser tab bar, there's very limited space. So the most important part should be at the front of the title. And that most important part isn't phpBB - View Topic.

What is the reason for not doing this?
^
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

That has already been done for 3.1: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9532
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”