Need some upfront opinions about phpbb3

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
justjames

Need some upfront opinions about phpbb3

Post by justjames »

We currently run XMB 1.9.6 for our forum. We've got a decent user base of 25k folks, lots of posts, threads, etc. We have several hacks/mods installed as well. We've liked XMB and have stood by it's deployment since early '03.

However, we are at a crossroads with this forum. The current software is buggy and many changes are coming down the pike as well which means we'll lose our hacks/mods yet again. It's getting very frustrating.

We're looking to change.

So, here's my question: How does phpbb3 or even phpbb2 stack up to XMB. Going further how does it stack up against MyBB and SMF? Seriously.

We've installed a test phpbb2 board and attempted a conversion of data but that has failed. There's a thread on that already. We're in line to get a converter to test out MyBB on another test board. We've installed SMF and the conversion there failed as well. Thus far, all conversions have failed.

We don't mind paying a fee to have someone help us out in getting our board converted to a new forum software. I'm inclined to go with Olympus phpbb3, but we're looking at a live environment deployment.

Looking forward to some honest opinions. Thanks folks

James
The Old Coach Network
Admin

Handyman`
Former Team Member

Re: Need some upfront opinions about phpbb3

Post by Handyman` »

Well, I had never heard of XMB until now.
It looks like they attempted a spinoff of phpBB2.

So IMO, you would be able to run phpBB2 and it probably has the mods you have currently installed on your board.
Though phpBB3 has a lot of features built in that phpBB2 is lacking… though it's still in Beta and there is no support for running phpBB3 Beta live, so it's not a good idea at the moment… so you'll probably want to wait until phpBB3 makes it to RC1 before you convert to phpBB3.

There are currently 2 converters from XMB to phpBB2, so I would say the best route to take at the moment is to convert to phpBB2, then from phpBB2 to phpBB3… at that time you will be a happy camper :)

Here is a link to download the converters
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=68166

Give both of them a try and see which one works for you.

Just make sure to follow all instructions… you will have to install phpBB2 before running those converters.
http://startrekguide.com My Mod Queue || 1/16/10 Display Posts Anywhere 1.2.0 RC5, Cash MOD 1.0.0 b1, MOD Version Check, AJAX Chat, SEO MOD, AJAX QR, Photo Gallery
MOD Development Manager (version 0.2.0-dev with MODX Generator)

justjames

Post by justjames »

I downloaded the second converter for 1.9.6 however it requires the UCS download and I am unable to find it here. The link I found to a .fr domain is no longer active.

I tried the first converter however the conversion is erring out. There's a thread on that ongoing as well.

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

justjames

Post by justjames »

bonelifer wrote: UCS converter -->> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=68166

Thanks. I downloaded the files and attempted the conversion. Here is where I am at:
Couldn't obtain table information.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'forums.private' in 'field list'

SELECT forums.fid, forums.fup, cat.fup AS cat_id, forums.name, forums.description, forums.status, forums.displayorder, forums.posts, forums.threads, MAX(posts.pid) AS max_posts_pid, forums.private, forums.postperm, forums.guestposting, forums.userlist, forums.pollstatus FROM (xmb_forums forums LEFT JOIN xmb_posts AS posts ON forums.fid = posts.fid) LEFT JOIN xmb_forums AS cat ON forums.fup = cat.fid WHERE forums.type = "forum" OR forums.type = "sub" GROUP BY forums.fid

Line : 711
File : index.php

How can we fix this. Pardon me being a noob on SQL syntax.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”