phpBB copyright years?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
yexusbeliever

phpBB copyright years?

Post by yexusbeliever »

I dont usually see this in other scripts except for phpBB. At the bottom, there is the copyright year. 2000, 2002, 2003, and 2007. Why do we have that many years on the copyright? From what I know in other scripts, they just put on the lastest year that they had the copyright on their product or item. Is there a specific reason why phpBB has these copyright years presented?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: phpBB copyright years?

Post by david63 »

There has been some discussion on this in the past. Apparently the copyright year relates to the year in which there was/is a major release.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Pablosp

Post by Pablosp »

Would it be a problem to modify it to a little shorter one?

Such as:
(c) 2000-2007 phpBB Group or (c) 2007 phpBB Group
Instead of:
(c) 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 phpBB Group

I think it looks more esthetic.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

Obviously you can change whatever you want but technically what you propose is incorrect. The individual years relate to when there was a copyright event within the life of phpbb (i.e. phpbb2, phpbb3)

Also there is this message in overall_footer.html
We request you retain the full copyright notice below including the link to http://www.phpbb.com.
This not only gives respect to the large amount of time given freely by the developers
but also helps build interest, traffic and use of phpBB3. If you (honestly) cannot retain
the full copyright we ask you at least leave in place the "Powered by phpBB" line, with
"phpBB" linked to http://www.phpbb.com. If you refuse to include even this then support on our
forums may be affected.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

aled owen

Post by aled owen »

But that message doesn't say anything about Modding the year thingy. Could be better like this:

Code: Select all

echo "Copyright 2000-" . date('Y') . " phpBB group";

-Aled
Will phpBB2 be supported after January 1st?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &p=7621235

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Copyright doesn't span a time frame like that. It's a set amount (something like 75 years or more) from the point you write it. So they have specific years to mark the releases of specific versions.

EDIT:
Knew I'd seen it somewhere :)

There was a CVS commit about this a week or two ago.
SHS wrote:The Grand Copyright Year Unification... breakdown of years, of re-copyrighting due to major changes:
2000 - phpBB1.0.0 released
2002 - phpBB2.0.0 released & phpBB2.2.x commenced
2005 - phpBB2.2.x is canned with phpBB3.0.0 to succeed it, prosilver also starts development proper
2007 - phpBB3.0.x...
Anyone that so much as whimpers "OMG copyright year is wrong!!!1~"... read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
Considering copyright (from the year started) last for at least 50 years, and up to 70 years after the author's _death_, even phpBB1.x.x will remain copyrighted well into the 22nd century.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Kevin Clark, i was about to post that :D
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

cheater512

Post by cheater512 »

I think its a bit pedantic personally. No one will be using phpBB (at least these old versions) in 75 years so it hardly matters. ;)

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Copyright is automatic and still in affect even without the years, or even the copyright.

In order to fall down to public domain you have to declare it as such (or the copyright expire, that is 60 years after death).

shadow cup

Post by shadow cup »

Pablosp wrote:Would it be a problem to modify it to a little shorter one?

Such as:
(c) 2000-2007 phpBB Group or (c) 2007 phpBB Group
Instead of:
(c) 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 phpBB Group

I think it looks more esthetic.
How about

(c) 2007 (03,02,00) phpBB Group

or

(c) 2K07-3-2-0 phpBB Group

Or some variant of the sort. ^_~
Placed by Circumstance - Seeker by Design ' '' ''' Image ''' '' ' Philosopher by Choice - Path Forger by Destiny

skorpiius

Post by skorpiius »

I think when threads are started dealing with the minutia of looking for ways to write the years in the copyright notice in a different format, it's a good sign that PHPBB is a pretty darn polished product :lol:

shadow cup

Post by shadow cup »

skorpiius wrote:I think when threads are started dealing with the minutia of looking for ways to write the years in the copyright notice in a different format, it's a good sign that PHPBB is a pretty darn polished product :lol:
That is true... and it does look polished in quite a few ways. ^_~

Yet it is also true that when one believes one has reached the summit, one is already on one's way down. Hence why the summitless climb is one to be desired. ;c)
Placed by Circumstance - Seeker by Design ' '' ''' Image ''' '' ' Philosopher by Choice - Path Forger by Destiny

Return to “phpBB Discussion”