Congrats on RC4 Release!

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Ash Hi Fi Zone

Re: Congrats on RC1 Release!

Post by Ash Hi Fi Zone » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:13 pm

Kellanved wrote:phpBB3 is far superior performance-wise, especially when it comes to big boards. We used several big boards as test objects during the development phase and have further improved matters with the experiences made on phpBB.com. There are still tweaks possible, but a vanilla 3.0 should be faster than a tweaked 2.0.
Hmm yes but the number of users online on phpBB.com is taken over a 30 minute interval right - so it might show more users even when they are actually not online....

Is it possible for you to give more details about the size of the other boards in terms of number of posts, users, etc. which you had used as test objects ?

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:18 pm

> 25000000 posts, > 700000 topics, > 700 users in five minutes (at slow hours)
Last edited by Kellanved on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: oops
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

Ash Hi Fi Zone

Post by Ash Hi Fi Zone » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:32 pm

Kellanved wrote:< 25000000 posts, < 700000 topics, < 700 users in five minutes (at slow hours)
Yes then a board with those figures definitely makes a good test subject then.... Then my suspicion might have been wrong....

Actually the board I was referring to was using four servers and with more than 400,000 users and nearly 3 million posts or something.... They converted from phpBB 2 to 3 RC1 and it had taken a long time to convert for them.... But they could not get the search engine to work at all and had many other troubles too and the board was also quite slow after the conversion.... The owner was also saying that the new script was not as fast as their old one.... He could not get his problem solved and hence had to shutdown his board eventually..... That is why I had stated so in my previous post..... May be he had some other problems in the old DB itself dunno.... :)

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:38 pm

Software used at such a scale needs tuning and such huge conversions take ages. And indeed, 3.0 has other bottlenecks so the server configuration required for good performance can be quite different. We are definitely interested in reports about performance issues.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

Isaiah

Post by Isaiah » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:23 pm

congrats on the RC1 Release!
another step towards Gold!
Thank you to the phpbb team for providing a great board!

linus.bash

Post by linus.bash » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Compliments of true heart ;)
Sfaff --> phpbb.it ;)

brenblade

Post by brenblade » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:38 am

Its awesome! thanks!

tnathos

Message from an user..

Post by tnathos » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:34 pm

Team PHPBB i' congratulations for de work relesead whit the version 3x... i stay very happy, its a big change and result, i very impression whit the version.

PD, my englhis its not good.. xd.. i need the tranlate to spanish.. :D

:smeyel:

Post by :smeyel: » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:09 pm

Congratulations and thank you :D

Hans Kamp

Post by Hans Kamp » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:26 pm

I have been a faithful user of the PHPBB software (which means hiring a webspace, uploading and installing a forum system and have a forum which has many visitors, topics and messages). I started using PHPBB 2.0.6, later on 2.0.8, 2.0.18 (used now for the World of Warcraft forum) and 2.0.20 (used for another forum that is almost a flop). PHPBB had a lot of mods and I have used several of those mobs by implementing them.

Later on, I took notice of the new development of the beta series 3.0.B1 to 3.0.B5, but I only installed B5. I was very impressed by the excellent work that the PHPBB team have done. They deserve every applause! When going to B5 to RC1, I didn't do (or try) an upgrade, but I destroyed the B5 forum and installed RC1 on this place. The current live forum was copied to a temporary forum which would be upgraded to RC1. Now I have running 3 forums which only the first (2.0.18) and the third (3.0.RC1) is available for using and testing respectively.

Now the point is: waiting for the release 3.0.0 (Gold)... I will not do an upgrade again from RC1 to 3.0.0, but I will destroy RC1 instead, and do a second conversion, which will take the place of the current live forum. But... when will it be? Only the dev team knows... it will be ready at least, when the team thinks it is good enough to be released.

For this moment I can say...

KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK!! MAY THE PHPBB TEAM LIVE FOREVER!!

greenkey.ru

Post by greenkey.ru » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:39 pm

Big thanx to all developers of phpbb 3 Olympus!
I made some interesting modification in phpBB 2, and working with modificated version phpbb plus.
I would want to make official modification, but i wait for an official version of phpbb 3.

Diamax

Post by Diamax » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:26 pm

Hello people!

I cannot praise the developers enough for their hard work on phpbb 3 Olympus, I really want to see the full release of it, but I'm not in rush. I know that the more time they take the better and more bug free is going to be. In my opinion the most important implemented feature is the UNLIMITED SUBFORUMS, with that phpBB is really stepping up, as scalability is very important when it comes to a bulletin board such as this. That is something I was waiting for a long time. Now phpBB will compete directly with the best, and here I am referring to vBulletin, which in my opinion was the best up until now. My prediction is that phpBB will take over as it always had the looks, and very good features, now will also have the possibility to expand as the community grows. And unlike VBulletin (which you have to pay an arm and a leg for) it's FREE. This is the bulletin board to go for, hands down. Great Work!

THANK YOU!
Regards,
Diamax

TRICHES.FR

Post by TRICHES.FR » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi all !

I usually get a free web hosting forum ( forumactif etc... ) and its the first time i install a proper forum on my webhosting and ... i'm was soooooooooooooooooooooo impressed by all the unctionalities it proposed and its professionalism ! Although there are loads of incovinients of managing all the cookies etc ... but when the mods are going to come out... it's going to be perfect :p.

Sincerely,

Eliott

MrRomeo

Post by MrRomeo » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:20 pm

Yhh Congrats, and i am enjoying using it on my Site! :)

Gaming Bob

Post by Gaming Bob » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:24 am

It really is great software, much improved feature wise. And, the best part, it's free. So, I have no complaints what so ever. I don't have a large board so I can't comment on stability or scalability though.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”