Anyone working on a Joomla Bridge for 3.0 RC1?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
jderosa3

Anyone working on a Joomla Bridge for 3.0 RC1?

Post by jderosa3 »

:) With the release of RC1 I was getting anxious to see if anyone has heard about any integration between this and joomla...

Joomla 1.5 RC1 should be arround the corner... hopefully.

Just curious thats all.

Nice work!
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Re: Anyone working on a Joomla Bridge for 3.0 RC1?

Post by Eelke »

If there isn't by the time I will be creating my new Joomla-based site, I'll probably be creating my own. That may take a while though :lol:
jderosa3

Post by jderosa3 »

I am so eager to see something progress... I am by no means a programmer... but i can make my way around the code - I am a designer by nature.
Avaya

Post by Avaya »

Ok, Noobie time...What's a bridge (I'm using Joomla on my site too) and how does it differ than just creating a link and pointing it your install of phpBB?
My website: SixSeventyOne.net
Get the best! Browse with Image
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

The joomla bridge makes sure that your users only have to register and login once. its a script that sync the user tables and sessions etc.

Im using the one from geefland and posted some 0n his forum. have no idea how far he is
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
jderosa3

Post by jderosa3 »

I too used geefland before with my my old phpbb & joomla install... worked pretty good... but with 1.5 coming out and PHPbb 3 here... I am sure things have changed a bit. We will have to wait and see what comes up.
Avaya

Post by Avaya »

Rotsblok wrote:The joomla bridge makes sure that your users only have to register and login once. its a script that sync the user tables and sessions etc.
Ah, thanks. I'm not using the login bit with Joomla, but I see what you're getting at. I was kind of wondering about that myself...
My website: SixSeventyOne.net
Get the best! Browse with Image
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Ideally, the Joomla Bridge would even allow you to use phpBB as a component in Joomla, so you can have a minimalistic template for phpBB 3, and have Joomla supply all your site's header and footer elements and such, maybe have some Joomla modules along the side... But I'm not sure how feasible that is, I think it's likely to need some modding to phpBB to get this done.
jderosa3

Post by jderosa3 »

Yes component functionality would be the best option here. I think it's the only way for phpbb to integrate nicely with joomla...
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Not the only way, but definately the nicest way.
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

Eelke wrote:Not the only way, but definately the nicest way.
I agree. Dont want to use to much of joomlas features tbh. Im happy if only the ACP is accesible from the backend of joomla.

I have been wondering if you can use the authentication plugin (the DB one not apache or LDAP) for logging etc but im not sure what it does or how it has to be setup
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Post by naderman »

I hope coding this sort of tool will be easier for phpBB3 than for phpBB2 using the auth plugins :)
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman
jderosa3

Post by jderosa3 »

I am thinking with a lot of the back end changes that have been made I trust the developers fixed some issues they had to live with before... I am crossing my fingers that they play nice together.

I would love to see something pop up so that I can beta test it!.
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Rotsblok wrote:Dont want to use to much of joomlas features tbh. Im happy if only the ACP is accesible from the backend of joomla.
I don't really see the added benefit there... My main concern would be that I want my site to be more than just a forum, and Joomla is a great vehicle for that. The more phpBB can integrate, from a visitor's point of view, with Joomla, the better. I'm think phpBB as a Joomla component (like I said) so the templating can be minimal and stuff like page header and footer, banners, etc. can be handled through Joomla. I'm thinking a plugin (mambot) to add commenting to Joomla articles, that transparently creates a topic on the forum to go with the article, forms a link to the topic and lists how many comments there are on the article. To be honest, recreating the phpBB backend in Joomla would be the least of my worries, I'd be happy with a link that takes me to the normal phpBB ACP.
I have been wondering if you can use the authentication plugin (the DB one not apache or LDAP) for logging etc but im not sure what it does or how it has to be setup
I think session integration will indeed become pretty straightforward, like Naderman said. I do expect it would require a custom authentication module, though; it would basically need to "authenticate" against a potentially existing Joomla session, if not present create a Joomla session, etc. There's stuff to be done, it won't be possible to use the existing auth modules, but I expect it to be clean and straightforward thanks to the PAM-acrchitecture.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I have a Joomla-based site and it's always been a pain to integrate the two. I am hopeful that there will be someone who figures a mechanism by which phpBB 3.x can integrate nicely with Joomla. For now, I have two separate logins for Joomla and phPBB.

There are a lot of people who use SMF on their Joomla site, or FIreboard Forums. They suck compared to phpBB but there is a lot more support for them on the Joomla site. For now it seems that there are only like two developers that are working on bridges for phpBB, and they aren't really reliable.

*waits patiently.
Shop smart, shop S-mart.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”