Anyone working on a Joomla Bridge for 3.0 RC1?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
LonestarROB

Re: Anyone working on a Joomla Bridge for 3.0 RC1?

Post by LonestarROB »

3. OPEN
<phpbb3 root>/includes/auth/auth_db.php
FIND
jos_users
REPLACE WITH
<your joomla user table name>
I'm confused what you mean by this? Can someone explain? Never worked with Joomla before. :oops:

Also, even though i've uploaded the user/phpbb3 files, they dont appear in the plugin manager and cant be installed. :?:
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

Sorry, but this is a discussion topic rather than a MOD support topic. I've removed the instructions posted on the previous page to avoid further confusion. Please seek help from the author's site or MOD topic for this.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
darenw

Post by darenw »

Over at http://www.excludedphp.com we are working on a bridge for joomla 1.5 and phpbb 3.0.1. Open beta testing will be starting soon. We are interested in features to implement in the final release so be sure to stop out and give some input.
Daren
Website
yimo

Post by yimo »

Rotsblok wrote:
severdia wrote:http://www.elearningforce.biz/bridges/j ... forum.html

They will support both Joomla 1.5 and phpBB3 when it's ready...

Plus it cost 80 bucks. sorry im a free loader
me too :evil:
Gambling online Database | Poker Room
Ubuntu 7.04+Vmware workstation6.0.2 (winxp)+PHP 5.2.5+Apache 2.2.8+MySQL 5.0.45+phpMyAdmin 2.11.4+ZendOptimizer 3.3.0+OpenSSL 0.9.8g+eAccelerator 0.9.5.2+cURL
anDY91

Post by anDY91 »

Has anybody actually thought about reprogramming phpbb3 as a fully installable native Joomla component? bridges ain't the answer. With a bridge you basically have two fully independent systems running off the one database. Which equals the same server resources as if you had two separate sites running off the one server.

Id take on something like this myself but Id have to understand every aspect of phpbb3, but I don't think it would be as much work as its made out to be. Most of the code is already done you would just have edit everything to work off the joomla API. It would be a big project I admit and it would require more than one programmer in the long run as every time there is an update for joomla or phpbb3 the component would require updating and this could get a little much.

Just an idea
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

I'm doubting that as phpBB is a completely separate, rather complex project. If someone were to try it, they'd be most welcome to, but then you really couldn't call it just phpBB ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
anDY91

Post by anDY91 »

No Id call it PHPBB for joomla! :D
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

anDY91 wrote:Which equals the same server resources as if you had two separate sites running off the one server.
Of course there is some overlap. Most notably, you will have duplicated user management and some double effort in the area of templating and the like. Thus, there is some overhead, but I don't think it's all that much. Whether a user is viewing a topic through a regular phpBB3, or whether they would be doing that through a Joomla-native component, they'd be using roughly the same resources.

Creating a native Joomla-component out of phpBB3 could well involve a lot of edits to core phpBB files, which may cause considerable effort when this native phpBB for Joomla is to track updates to the "main" phpBB3. I am not so sure that really weighs up to the gains. If this could be isolated into one or maybe a handful of files, that are an add-on to both core Joomla and core phpBB, I'd be all for it. If, however (as I suspect), the changes would be scattered throughout phpBB3 core files, I don't think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Eelke on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
anDY91

Post by anDY91 »

Yeah that is my concern also, I know I could probably do the conversion but I also know that I couldn't support it! Especially since something like this would become very popular and have thousands of people all bombarding my forums with problems ect. Hmm maybe some sort of integration of the users management system would be better. I dunno. I'm going to play with cbconnector and see if I can make it better suit my needs.
ssnobben

Post by ssnobben »

Well if you need a integrator for Joomla 1.5 framework and phpBB 3.0.+ you should look at the new version of Jfusion universal integrator. Jfusion is progressing all the time and I have tested it and it works well. No hassle with code just install in Joomla and set up the parameters. If you want to try it here is the link http://www.jfusion.org

About JFusion

JFusion is a free GPL plugin for the award winning Content Management System (CMS) Joomla. JFusion provides universal user integration, by extending the Joomla 1.5 user authentication framework without any core hacks.

JFusion will force Joomla to use an external software as the "master" of user management. This has the advantage that users can login to both Joomla the software integrated by JFusion using the same user name/password. No core hacks are made which has the advantage that your can upgrade your software normally without reconfiguring JFusion.

JFusion also comes with an latest activity module, that displays the latest activity on the forum in Joomla and a login module that displays the forum avatar in a Joomla login module. As development continues, we hope to a search module, a who's on-line module and a discussion bot.
MikovChain

Post by MikovChain »

[MOD]Simple phpBB3.0 Bridge for Joomla1.5 Build20081108

>>MOD info removed>>
Last edited by darcie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited out MOD links and information
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

MikovChain,
Please open your own topic in MODs in Development rather than posting your MOD info in Discussion. The Discussion forum is not meant for MOD releases or support. I have removed the information from your post above.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
cogitech

Post by cogitech »

Eelke wrote:Ideally, the Joomla Bridge would even allow you to use phpBB as a component in Joomla, so you can have a minimalistic template for phpBB 3, and have Joomla supply all your site's header and footer elements and such, maybe have some Joomla modules along the side... But I'm not sure how feasible that is, I think it's likely to need some modding to phpBB to get this done.
A project built from scratch, with the two integrated together already, with easy migration (built in) to migrate either an existing Joomla or existing phpBB3 site to "JoomBB3", would be the way to go. The Joomla management interface (not sure what it is called) and the phpBB3 "ACP" could stay separate, but a common "style editor" (a la phpBB3 ACP) would be critical.

But I'm not sure how feasible that is ;)
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

I think that effects to forking both projects and I don't think that would be very productive, or necessary. First, I think that if you really want more integration, it makes more sense to "just" create a phpBB clone that runs on top of Joomla; Joomla is already an environment to "host" web applications, no need to change it. However, that still leaves you with the trouble of forking phpBB3 and I don't think it is worth the hassle. Bridges may not be ideal, but they are a very good compromise, especially when done properly (such as RokBridge, which doesn't touch either code base at all).

I know the developer of RokBridge has ideas to allow using Joomla templates for the phpBB3 installation (I would expect that phpBB still uses a rudimentary template of its own, where the phpBB3 output is inserted into the component area of the Joomla template). For now, as I am creating my own templates anyway, I will probably use some solution where I isolate the common parts that are needed in both templates, so I can use the same files for both the Joomla and phpBB template (thank you for adding PHP support in phpBB3 templates, team :)).
Linas Van

Post by Linas Van »

RokBridge has no developers and is still in beta status, last release Oct 16, 2008 :!:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”