Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:00 pm

Frank Rizzo wrote:Sure. Give me a day or two to check sites are indexing properly.

But for now I seriously recommend that if you haven't already done so you limit the permission of the bot group.....
Why?
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:01 pm

Check the security tracker :!:

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:02 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:Check the security tracker :!:
That answer works for me. :)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

dcz

Post by dcz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:14 am

Xabi wrote:Could you share those mods with us, please?
phpBB3 SEO mods are demonstrated here : http://phpbb3.phpbb-seo.net/ ;)

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:18 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:The bottom line is that search engine bots are far "smarter" than some people will have you believe. Do not forget that it is in the companies' best interest to index as many sites as possible.
The trouble is they aren't smart enough to know what is relevant and not. Don't forget that SEO is more than just trying to improve search engine rankings but also providing a clear path to relevant pages. One of the biggest issues with phpbb 2 and 3 is the enormous amount of links on the pages that go to content that is going to be duplicate or otherwise. Instead of the time being devoted by the bot indexing these pages it would be better suited finding new content or reindexing old content. This benefits the site, the bot and the public.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:30 pm

phpBB3 hides most links from bots.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

dcz

Post by dcz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:01 pm

And its possible to run a 100% duplicate free phpBB3 ;)

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Let me provide an example, from the thread "Congrats on RC1 Release" stickied at the top of this forum. There's 5 URL's in Google's cache that I've listed below for the first page in that thread. These are the ones I found with a quick search, there may or may not be others. Also note it includes the print page.

http://72.14.209.104/search?sourceid=na ... t%3D543023

http://72.14.209.104/search?sourceid=na ... t%26sd%3Da

http://72.14.209.104/search?sourceid=na ... t%26sd%3Da

http://72.14.209.104/search?sourceid=na ... 6start%3D0

-----Print page--------

http://72.14.209.104/search?sourceid=na ... ew%3Dprint

-----This link is the previous link going from page 2 to page 1 that has not been cached yet but will eventually, that will bring the total to 6----------

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... =a&start=0

Edit: Original post for clarification

Edit: Just add this isn't good for either the site owner or the bot. Your pages are being diluted by content that doesn't need indexing. Other pages might not get indexed because the bot is going around in circles and lastly you and the bot are using unneccesary resources to serve and index all those extra pages.
Last edited by thecoalman on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Xabi

Post by Xabi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:25 pm

Check the dcz modules, seem promising :)

ascensions

Post by ascensions » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:43 am

I'm glad I ran into this thread, my same sentiments are expressed. It's amazing that PHPBB 3.0 actually worstened SEO by adding the forum indicator on all topics. Still horrible titles, and poor h1 usage.

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:10 am

I have to say that the identification of bots feature is a really useful feature. Top marks to phpbb for that. Just a pity the rest was not thought out!

I believe I have configured the board as best as I can get it as bot food now. I had to modify many of the template files to get rid of all the fluff such as:

Last Post