Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
dcz

Re: Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO

Post by dcz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:32 am

I fully agree with your view thecoalman.

@Frank Rizzo : I was talking about filtering content using the is_registered switch VS the is_bot one.
I'm talking about the way you do it, not about why and how pages could be better SEOed for bots.

++

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:07 pm

I think there is a lot of confusion here and certainly a lot of confusion over the terms:

is registered
is guest
is bot

and the way templates work.

Take three users:

Happy Larry (registered user)
Googlebot (bot user)
Jonny Punter (guest)

The way I see it is that "out of the box" Happy Larry and Googlebot get to see a hell of a lot more content than Jonny Punter.

The problem is that Googlebot is a registered user (*). Therefore, it gets to see what Happy Larry can see but Jonny Punter is excluded. If anyone is against seo 'efficiency' and worried about a cloaking penalty then you have to sort that out.

My point is that I don't want google to index words such as 'Posted by:, Number of Posts, Who is Online, Who the Team are, The Timzeone" for every god damn message and thread which is posted. I'd rather give google meat rather than fat and let it provide more meaningful information to potential visitors.

(*)This all points to the security exploit which I've pointed out but no one seems to be taking any notice of!

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:19 pm

That's because we fixed that issue about one day after RC1.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

dcz

Post by dcz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:23 pm

From includes/session.php

Code: Select all

$this->data['is_bot'] = (!$this->data['is_registered'] && $this->data['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS) ? true : false;
From includes/functions.php

'S_USER_LOGGED_IN'		=> ($user->data['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS) ? true : false,
Not a guest, but can be a bot.

'S_REGISTERED_USER'		=> $user->data['is_registered'],
A registered and logged in user, not a bot

'S_IS_BOT'				=> $user->data['is_bot'],
A bot, not a guest or a logged in user.

Thus as I said if not S_REGISTERED_USER = apply to bots and guests.

++

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:17 pm

So are you saying that no template modifications need to be made and that "out of the box" phpbb3 is set correctly?

Are you content that boards out there are configured correctly so with the default settings:

a) bots can not read restricted forums
b) bots can not utilise the email a friend system
c) bots can post messages whilst guests can not

Because that is what is happening.

dcz

Post by dcz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:21 pm

about a), since I do not set any auth to the bots, I assume they cannot, or if they can, that this is a bug that will be fixed.

Then again, I was only talking about how to filter the useles content.

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Kellanved wrote:That's because we fixed that issue about one day after RC1.
Which issue would that be?

I tested the exploit yesterday on a user at random. That person has the exploit and now knows his board is a possible spamfest.

If you have fixed it for newer installs shouldn't there be an announcement sent out to others who have the board installed with the exploit in place?

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:04 pm

It was an issue in the converter, the fix was committed to the CVS on May 21st. ( http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/convertors/ti ... t_id=11283 )

The RC2 update includes code to fix boards converted with RC1.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

Jleagle

Post by Jleagle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:21 pm

I agree with how phpBB is out of the box. If you cant put 5 minutes into installing a mod you shouldnt have a website. Most SEO tricks use htaccess which not all servers support, so using this out of the box would be stupid. The dev team cant cator for 100% of the users, only the majority, so if you need something, either find a mod or do it your self.

Edit: I dont see how search engines have a problem anyway. They have changed alot since PHP became popular and work with varaiables in the URL pretty well id say.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:16 pm

Jleagle wrote: Most SEO tricks use htaccess which not all servers support,
Most of what has been discuused in this thread revolves around fundamental SEO such as good page titles and descriptions and duplicate URL's. These aren't tricks but the basics.
Edit: I dont see how search engines have a problem anyway. They have changed alot since PHP became popular and work with varaiables in the URL pretty well id say.
Actually this is one of the problems, not necessarily following variables but particualar to phpbb 2 and 3 is the large amount of URL's that can all point to the same page. As I pointed out a few posts back there's 6 possible URL's leading to single page that I was able to find quickly, I'm sure there are others. This IMO is probably the biggest issue as far as phpbb and SEO is concerned.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:28 pm

do you pay no attention? That was due to a bug in the convertor, which is fixed in RC2, that should not be the case anymore.

I don't see why everyone gets so hyped up, after all this is free software, don't be so demanding otherwise you might just de moralize the developers, and we wouldn't be here right now without them..

If things really bug you that much, get a MOD, I think the developers have another stress at the moment without people moaning... Afterall they have lives too you know ;)
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:48 pm

That's a bit of a crass attitude to take.

If it were not for some wailing voices telling it how it is free software vendors would get delusions of grandeur and everyone would congratulate the emperors on their new attire.

phpBB is not an application run by one talented geek during his lunch hour - phpbb is an institution. I don't mind being a harsh critic now and then if it means that it the product will improve.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:01 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:If it were not for some wailing voices telling it how it is free software vendors would get delusions of grandeur and everyone would congratulate the emperors on their new attire.
To be honest, in all my years in cyberspace, and in all my years hanging out here, I've seen significantly more wailing voices with various delusions (grandeur, martyr, messiah, lone ranger, etc.) than vendors.

phpBB isn't perfect. The phpBB teams aren't perfect. This isn't the news that some wailing voices pretend it to be. So sure, be a critic. Most of us who've been here for any length of time have been a critic at one time or another. The danger lies in being a delusional critic. Even an institution like phpBB is nothing more than a bunch of talented (and sacrificial) geeks working their lunch hours. So phpBB's critics, harsh or otherwise, aren't great, legendary Fezziks either, delusions to the contrary notwithstanding. :geek:

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:07 am

christhatsme wrote: I don't see why everyone gets so hyped up, after all this is free software, don't be so demanding ....
I don't think anyone is being demanding but trying to provide some constructive criticism. I know when I design a website if there's something the user feels is wrong I want to know about it. To paraphrase frank_rizzo these aren't "we want fluffy bunnies" requests but instead fundamental things that should probably have been addressed. I applaud the developers for their time and dedication they have given to phpbb3, they are to be commended for their dedication.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Frodosringfinger

Post by Frodosringfinger » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:44 am

I didnt bother reading any posts in th is thread, but from the title of it, I can say you are wrong. When I was running phpBB2, I had thousands of pages indexed on google. Been with phpBB3 since about 5 days after it came out, and the numbers keep increasing, and according to my cpanel, more and more search terms are used to find my site everyday.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”