Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO

Post by thecoalman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:33 pm

There's no single tool for measuring SEO, how well your site is doing for the keywords or terms you are targeting is ultimately the best measurement.

You can check what is indexed on Google with the site command:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... hpbb%2ecom

Be aware that's not entirely accurate and at times may be completely inaccurate. I know over the last few months at times it wouldn't even return pages that were in the top 10 for my site in the regular results. There's other commands like link:

Other tools you can use include the Google toolbar which will give you the PR of your pages, PR is short for page rank and is how Google judges your page overall. 3 is about average for a small sites homepage, 5-6 is pretty good, 9-10 and you're a millionaire. :D Very few 10's, 10 is more like billionaire. Google also provides Webmaster tools which is program you can sign up for which will give you many details about your site that you otherwise wouldn't be able to get like the amount of pages its crawling each day.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools ... about.html

There's a lot of things, I'd suggest visiting a site like http://www.webmasterworld.com for more in depth information.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:36 pm

bbrian017 wrote: This is FRENCH only site
phpBB3 SEO mods are demonstrated here : http://phpbb3.phpbb-seo.net/
It's not look again.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Thank you

bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:58 pm

I just have to say that the SEO can't be tooo bad look at this link,

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&clien ... ed&spell=1

and

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&clien ... arch&meta=

Can I rest my case?

HLT

Post by HLT » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:54 pm

Frank Rizzo wrote:phpBB developers have missed a golden opportunity here. I really can not understand why a simpe title and meta tag facility was not implemented.
There are quite a few things in this new version that amaze me were put in it, while some insanely important things were completely left out. The "Save" button being the classic example of a useless feature. I understand they are inundated with millions of enhancement requests, but whoever is making the final decisions on what stays and what goes, is making some odd decisions.

bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:41 am

cmon phpbb needs to give the mod developers something to do :)

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:56 am

HLT wrote:There are quite a few things in this new version that amaze me were put in it, while some insanely important things were completely left out. The "Save" button being the classic example of a useless feature. I understand they are inundated with millions of enhancement requests, but whoever is making the final decisions on what stays and what goes, is making some odd decisions.
I could have used that feature a few times. I often see posts saying "I'd post more, but I have to go now". Save the post and finish it later.

Define "insanely important things", too. META tags can be edited through templates easily enough.

HLT

Post by HLT » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:59 am

Well everyone has their own specific needs. So the opinions on whats really important to add can vary greatly. I think I have spent literally thousands of dollars paying a programmer to mod my forums just so it can do some basic things. But that was version 2.0. Hopefully 3.0 will be better.

By the way Ive never seen anyone in 8 years of running an online community with over 2.5 million users say "I will finish this post later, gotta run". So I guess it just depends. I do see the value of the Save button though, now that you explain its purpose.

I guess I usually just start typing a post and if I gotta run I jus get up and come back 10 hours later and its still half written on my screen. I copy to clipboard in case my session expired and then i just pick up where I left off.

Anyways - regarding meta tags - the guy linked to Google's cache of this site. It didn't look too horribly bad to me, honestly. I think you can probably take out the "phpbb - View Topic" part pretty easily, and then you're left with a perfect title tag, matching the topic it contains.

Jason Argo

Post by Jason Argo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:42 am

Cap'n Refsmmat wrote:
HLT wrote:There are quite a few things in this new version that amaze me were put in it, while some insanely important things were completely left out. The "Save" button being the classic example of a useless feature. I understand they are inundated with millions of enhancement requests, but whoever is making the final decisions on what stays and what goes, is making some odd decisions.
I could have used that feature a few times. I often see posts saying "I'd post more, but I have to go now". Save the post and finish it later.

Define "insanely important things", too. META tags can be edited through templates easily enough.
I'd be using that "Save" feature everyday, I do a lot of posting at work (in my breaks 8-) ) and I usually only get to type a half of what I want before having to stop, I then have to come back and redo several posts a day. In fact I used the feature for this post :P , I guess it’s for people that only have a small window of opportunity to post or like to do those epic long posts.

With the SEO debate, you need to remember that a lot of fora are very specific geographically and subject wise so getting new members through search engines just is not going to happen and therefore not something the owner cares much about, like me.
"Computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and perhaps only weigh 1.5 tonnes"

- Popular Mechanics magazine, 1949

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:16 am

I don't think so, the results in the first link you listed actually show the opposite. The first result isn't even a phpbb forum. The second and third go to pages to a phpbb3 forum that has SEO mods applied to it. Specifically it has a decent title, there's a meta description/keywords, and URL rewriting. You're second link is a pretty specific search.

The following is just my opinion on how things should be but I think anyone that has studied SEO will agree.

As far as the document itself the title is the most important thing, For that simply using the title of the thread is perfect, having the Forum Name and "view topic" is just unneeded duplication and having it before the title thread is worse yet. Note that Search Engines will truncate long titles, if your forum name is very long or the topic title is very long a person using a search engine may overlook your page because the pertinent part of the title is missing. If you want to keep the forum name in the title it should appear after the thread title. For added SEO you can use the page 1 of X so that every page has a unique title.

There's poor use of the <h1> tag, again duplication because it's wrapped around the forum title. The <h1> tag should be used only once and used on what the page is about. For this it instead should be used on the topic title at the top matching the document title.

Meta descriptions should be unique, simply supplying a generic description for every page may actually be worse than supplying no meta description at all. This gets a little tough but two methods I've seen is to either grab a snippet from the first post or use a combination of the category and topic title. I prefer the first method because it's much more unique than the second.

Meta keywords are not that important and are most likely all but ignored by most search engines. However if such a feature was added they should be unique words that appear on the page.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:23 am

HLT wrote: The "Save" button being the classic example of a useless feature.
I find this very useful, besides some of the reasons listed above there's a lot of forums where posts can become quite lengthy. For example a video forum I'm a member of has a specific section they use for guides. These usually include a lot of images and are very long, the save function would be very good there. This can also alleviate other problems I've encountered such as another piece of software opening a page in the same window you were using to type the post unbeknownst to you.

My only suggestion is the button should be separated better and instead of "Save" it should be "Save as draft". Already caught myself hitting it to post the message.

bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:41 pm

thecoalman wrote:
I don't think so, the results in the first link you listed actually show the opposite. The first result isn't even a phpbb forum. The second and third go to pages to a phpbb3 forum that has SEO mods applied to it. Specifically it has a decent title, there's a meta description/keywords, and URL rewriting. You're second link is a pretty specific search.

The following is just my opinion on how things should be but I think anyone that has studied SEO will agree.

As far as the document itself the title is the most important thing, For that simply using the title of the thread is perfect, having the Forum Name and "view topic" is just unneeded duplication and having it before the title thread is worse yet. Note that Search Engines will truncate long titles, if your forum name is very long or the topic title is very long a person using a search engine may overlook your page because the pertinent part of the title is missing. If you want to keep the forum name in the title it should appear after the thread title. For added SEO you can use the page 1 of X so that every page has a unique title.

There's poor use of the <h1> tag, again duplication because it's wrapped around the forum title. The <h1> tag should be used only once and used on what the page is about. For this it instead should be used on the topic title at the top matching the document title.

Meta descriptions should be unique, simply supplying a generic description for every page may actually be worse than supplying no meta description at all. This gets a little tough but two methods I've seen is to either grab a snippet from the first post or use a combination of the category and topic title. I prefer the first method because it's much more unique than the second.

Meta keywords are not that important and are most likely all but ignored by most search engines. However if such a feature was added they should be unique words that appear on the page.
No it wasn't suppose to show phpbb it was suppose to show my website and I'm first on the google search list :)

I'm the first 2 on google here,

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:42 pm

As I mentioned that's a pretty specific search. No one is saying Google or other search engines aren't going to index pages, the point is to make them better for indexing.

HLT

Post by HLT » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:20 am

Looks like I stand corrected on the Save button!

Most of the guys I know with version 3.0 have opted to hide it completely though.

Oh well, diff'rnt folks diff'rnt strokes.

HLT

dcz

Post by dcz » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:35 pm

bbrian017 wrote:
thecoalman wrote:
No it wasn't suppose to show phpbb it was suppose to show my website and I'm first on the google search list :)

I'm the first 2 on google here,

http://www.google.com/search?q=phpbb+seo&hl=en

http://www.google.com/search?q=phpbb3+seo&hl=en

;)

phpBB SEO || phpBB3 SEO Premod || SEO phpBB3
GYM Sitemaps & RSS for phpBB3: GYM Sitemaps & RSS

Return to “phpBB Discussion”