Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Re: Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO

Post by Highway of Life »

ascensions wrote:There's the irony of PHPBB. It's not able to deal with it either. Say you move a thread to a new forum. You then have 2 completely different URLs archived with different forum variables.
But that’s precisely the point, it’s not intended to deal with that.
It doesn’t make sense. -- If you want that kind of functionality, you should use a CMS or a blog for that type of content, not a forum.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
ascensions

Post by ascensions »

Highway of Life wrote:But that’s precisely the point, it’s not intended to deal with that.
It doesn’t make sense. -- If you want that kind of functionality, you should use a CMS or a blog for that type of content, not a forum.
Your saying, that merely because PHPBB is forum we should try to create chaos for users and SE?

That makes no sense.... Why include the move function at all, then?
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

ascensions wrote:Your saying, that merely because PHPBB is forum we should try to create chaos for users and SE?
That makes no sense.... Why include the move function at all, then?
Where did I say that?
You’re saying that every little system in phpBB3 should take into account Search Engines and should adjust to compensate it. I’m saying phpBB3 is meant for the users first. Then, if it works for Search Engines, great! But Search Engines should not be seen as first priority, users should.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
phpDummie

Post by phpDummie »

ElbertF wrote:You'd need a .htaccess script, regex to extract the topic id, and in some cases and extra query to find the forum id. It looks nice, but it won't make that much of a difference for search engines and just decreases performance (which is more important IMO).
I would respectfully have to disagree with that (underlined by me) part of your statement.
This would actually depend on the particular search engine. Google has no problem with dynamic content and all the question marks in the URL, but not so Yahoo or MSN. Those two want URLs ending on .html. In practical terms, my phpbb2 is still not indexed by either of them after two years of operation, although I see their crawlers regularly in my logs.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

ascensions wrote:There's the irony of PHPBB. It's not able to deal with it either. Say you move a thread to a new forum. You then have 2 completely different URLs archived with different forum variables.
Exactly. In what way is that a phpBB irony?

If there is an irony here, to me it would have to be that anybody can even imagine an SEOed community bulletin board product in the real world. I'm not saying it's inherently ironic, but to me it is difficult to conceive of a bulletin board product that can ensure the validity of third party search results, and that without even getting into the SEO controversy itself. The potential scope of community information volatility is daunting. Just talking about edits, moves, splits, merges, deletions, prunes, temporary posts, and the like fails to capture the full three dimensions of the potential for community information volatility as far as I can see. But perhaps I'm missing something?

I don't deny that phpBB should take SEO seriously. What I think necessary is that phpBB take SEO seriously within context of community information exchange and not as the foundational design directive. Other types of information managment products are better suited to the purpose. IMHO, as always.
endomilik

Post by endomilik »

What's up...People doing SEO n stuff going on...

If u want SEO, go hired someone. Just take a good look how many people doing SEO for $$$

This is a OPEN SOURCE!.

If u like to have SEO so much go buy a vbulletin/ipb and ask a coders to do a SEO...

If u want SEO that much go pay the PHPBB Team...

u dont pay the PHPBB team, so all u can do is just be quiet n relax about SEO.

Its up to them to do their JOB. even if it takes 5 years, its really up to them.

Go switch another forum board.

PHPbb3 is beta, if u like PHPbb that much or SEO, go back to PHPbb2 and have some mods to install it there.

SEO didn't even existed a long time ago. U just want ur site to be popular in google...then go advertise ur site on advertisement site or go pay a link system.

YEA I HOPE they remove SEO on PHPBb3 and make them go PREMIUM for 600$ and all of u noobs whining about SEO n stuff..

PAY FIRST n THEY DO DA JOB FASTER.

No1 pay PHPBB TEAM for their work.
Last edited by darcie on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language edited
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

endomilik wrote:PHPbb3 is beta, if u like PHPbb that much or SEO, go back to PHPbb2 and have some mods to install it there.
Still beta? :? That´s sad news. :(
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

endomilik wrote:.
If u want SEO, go hired someone. Just take a good look how many people doing SEO for $$$

This is a OPEN SOURCE!.
No need to hire someone because most of the things suggested in this thread are actually quite easy to do even without major modifications but as the title suggests "Out of the Box" they are not present. I'll assume you didn't read any of the posts or you would know that. :roll:
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Magnoliauk

Post by Magnoliauk »

IPB_Refugee wrote:
endomilik wrote:PHPbb3 is beta, if u like PHPbb that much or SEO, go back to PHPbb2 and have some mods to install it there.
Still beta? :? That´s sad news. :(
Tragic news :(
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Uhm, phpBB3 is final, gold, whatever else to signify such. ;)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
NightSky

Post by NightSky »

thecoalman told that there were given a lot of hints to improve SEO in phpbb, can some one sum up the most important changes, it would be really nice.

Thanks in advice!
Magnoliauk

Post by Magnoliauk »

Techie-Micheal wrote:Uhm, phpBB3 is final, gold, whatever else to signify such. ;)
That's what I thought Techie-Micheal and thanks for clarifying it for us ;)
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Magnoliauk wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Uhm, phpBB3 is final, gold, whatever else to signify such. ;)
That's what I thought Techie-Micheal and thanks for clarifying it for us ;)
:P

That was mainly aimed at endomilik as he stated that phpBB3 was beta when it is not beta. :)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

NightSky wrote:thecoalman told that there were given a lot of hints to improve SEO in phpbb, can some one sum up the most important changes, it would be really nice.

Thanks in advice!
What I would suggest:
  • Titles - Again this is just as important for a bot as it is for human that is searching through a SE. If for example your forum name is a little long and the addtion of "view topic" or "viewforum" most of the relevant part of the title is going to get truncated by the SE.
  • Descriptions - Basic description, a little hard on a forum but the first sentence in the first post is better than nothing.
I posted this before in another thread, this is a typical result from Google here on phpbb:
phpBB • View topic - Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO?
Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO? Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB3 here. Non-phpBB related discussion ...
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=527340&start=60 - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
Would be much better for both the SE and the user if it was:
Extra Variable in Topics URL = Poor SEO? - Page 5 • phpBB
Just curious, but I'm wondering what the advantage of having the forum ID in a topics' URL is (i.e., viewtopic.php?f=64&t=527269)? ...
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=527340start=60 - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
  • Duplicate URL's - There is variety of reasons why this should be avoided if possible. They dilute your content in a search engine, your server resources and the search engines resources would be better suited indexing new content or updating older content... As far as I can tell simply removing the sort parameters when a user is not sorting would alleviate most of this.
  • NOINDEX in the meta tags - This should be used in all pages that are denied to a bot and the print page. I've actually searched phpbb.com looking for something and come across the print page myself more than once.
Those 4 things can go a long way in improving both SEO and in the end be very helpful to a user who is using a SE, especially if they are searching a specific site.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”