Newbie needs advice!

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
growild

Newbie needs advice!

Post by growild » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Hey there everyone,

I run a sewing forum on yahoo currently and we have 600 members and growing. I'm looking to move us to the phpbb so it will be easier to use, more personal etc. I have noo idea really how to do this, how much bandwidth we'd be using and how much it would cost monthly. I really couldn't find the answers I was looking for on the php website so thought I'd check out the forums. Could someone help me out coming up with a basic game plan/cost/advice??

Where is the hosting? Does it come with a website? Is the layouts easy/hard to change? Do I need to know a lot about web design etc? My group is VERY active getting usually around 400-500 messages a week....

magicfun

Re: Newbie needs advice!

Post by magicfun » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:41 pm

[text removed for spam]

Anyway, hope you find a great solution, this has worked for me. Good luck setting up your website and new forum!

Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi growild,

I strongly urge you to visit http://www.webhostingtalk.com; their primary purpose is to recommend and review web hosts. I'm sure they'll be more than able to help you find exactly what you need.

growild

Post by growild » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:49 am

but is that waht I need to do? That's my question. Do I find a host that offers phpbb?? Or do I buy the hosting through this company? I just joined over there but I feel like I'm gong in circles. I want to know what and how to get the forums & a website.

AnotherUserName

Post by AnotherUserName » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:59 am

If your community is not that big, just buy a cheap host like Dreamhost or something similar, install phpBB and you're done, you only need to know how to upload files via FTP, it's a lot of fun to learn new things :mrgreen:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”