When will MODs work on not just prosilver?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
zero061099

When will MODs work on not just prosilver?

Post by zero061099 »

we get mods that work on ANY theme not just prosilver??
Last edited by Techie-Micheal on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: We need clear subjects
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: When will

Post by Phil »

Whenever proSilver-based themes are created and MOD authors decide to release them. As a MOD author, I am only obligated to produce MODs that work for proSilver or subSilver2 (although, as proSilver is the default, it'll likely see more). Currently, the vast majority of styles are based off of subSilver2, which is radically different than proSilver.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Quezza

Post by Quezza »

I, personally, only use prosilver and so will not release much for subsilver, if anything.

Also, this should probably be in MOD Writer's Discussion, not here.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Moved to 3.0.x Discussion.
we get mods that work on ANY theme not just prosilver??
MODs are modifications. I think many people tend to forget this when criticizing the lack of multi-style compatibility. Styles can have different markup, and we only require MODs in our MODDB to work with prosilver (which is the default style). However, since prosilver is CSS-based, hopefully people will be able to use that and create new styles using the same markup and templates, which in turn allows MODs to work with themes other than prosilver.

It's not really just a matter of yelling at MOD authors to get their MODs working with all styles.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Creomire

Post by Creomire »

As a mod author, I will only write mods for Prosilver (for the reasons already given). People should realise that when mods are written with other themes in mind, then this can cause untold problems.

I would say that it is the responsibility of mod authors to write for proSilver and strictly that theme. They should stick rigidly to the theme, and should not alter or add CSS styles to the original CSS code no matter what the temptation. If mod authors do that, then it becomes the responsibility of the style author to produce a style that will "fit" with the html. This of course, will be very restricting for mod authors and probably [more so] for style authors.

Unfortunately, a look that relies so heavilly on CSS and a look that uses the odd piece of non-semantic code to achieve the desired results, will always be difficult to modify or clone.

...Just my opinion of course...
bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

It should be the responsibility of the mod author to create mods that work with BOTH Subsilver2 and prosilver When phpbb 3.0 Gold is released! This is just my opinion and I know it's a lot of work but for now as we grow from RC1 to RC2 etc.. this is literally impossible!
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

bbrian017 wrote:It should be the responsibility of the mod author to create mods that work with BOTH Subsilver2 and prosilver When phpbb 3.0 Gold is released! This is just my opinion and I know it's a lot of work but for now as we grow from RC1 to RC2 etc.. this is literally impossible!
Would you like to create a few MODs and then say that again?
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

I agree it's hard, I didn't want to come off like that.. but if phpbb said you had to you would :) so in general you should
Omarvelous

Post by Omarvelous »

bbrian017 wrote:It should be the responsibility of the mod author to create mods that work with BOTH Subsilver2 and prosilver When phpbb 3.0 Gold is released! This is just my opinion and I know it's a lot of work but for now as we grow from RC1 to RC2 etc.. this is literally impossible!
I think unless your paying to have a MODder accommodate you, then you can't make such statements....

All it takes is a little elbow grease to make it work and look coherent....
bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

I think unless your paying to have a MODder accommodate you, then you can't make such statements....
true, I also can't imagine how hard it would be to write a mod... all I do is pro modded boards and that's a pain because I do both ProSilver and SubSilver :)
However, since prosilver is CSS-based, hopefully people will be able to use that and create new styles using the same markup and templates, which in turn allows MODs to work with themes other than prosilver.
This is a preety interesting concept. I would like to see it in action...
zero061099

Post by zero061099 »

The best way to do somethig is to DO IT YOURSELF. I asked awhile ago when will people make mods that work w/ other themes. Well acutally if your css and html...etc are good you can "make" the mod work for ur particular theme...example...Ajax chat working w/ my them although it states will only work w/ prosilver or subsilver. Just figure i would let people know that mod compatability isnt written in stone. Thanks to all the mod creators out there as I know how hard it is to create them!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

bbrian017 wrote: This is a preety interesting concept. I would like to see it in action...
A brief and simple example would be to change the floats for the site description and search box.

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]----------------------
#
styles/prosilver/theme/common.css
#
#-----[ FIND ]----------------------
#
#search-box {
	color: #FFFFFF;
	position: relative;
	margin-top: 30px;
	margin-right: 5px;
	display: block;
	float: right;
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]----------------------
#
#search-box {
	color: #FFFFFF;
	position: relative;
	margin-top: 30px;
	margin-right: 5px;
	display: block;
	float: left;
#
#-----[ FIND ]----------------------
#
#site-description {
	float: left;
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]----------------------
#
#site-description {
	float: right;
Haven't tested that, it might break something else. The point is the styling is seperated from the markup, there are some limitations but you could start from scratch and have a completely different looking style without touching the templates.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Re: When will MODs work on not just prosilver?

Post by Techie-Micheal »

In the future, please follow the rules and use descriptive subjects.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

It is up to the author or the community. Requirements are for at least prosilver with subSilver2 being optional.
Systems Engineering
chadtm80

Post by chadtm80 »

I understand authors write for prosilver as it is the default.. However subsilver has been defualt with phpbb for years.. many of us used that on phpbb2 and continued on with phpbb3.. so I just aske please to keep that in mind
http://www.bigmoeknow.com/forum/index.php

YOUR HOME FOR SPORTS INFOMATION & THE BEST COLLECTION OF 'CAPPERS ON THE NET

Return to “phpBB Discussion”