Anti Spam measures and experiences

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Nothing is easy

Anti Spam measures and experiences

Post by Nothing is easy »

Some people have already gone live with 3.0 and I was wondering what their experiences were with being hit by spam compared to how they were protected using 2.0.

Just what do people feel are the best configuration settings to set for 3.0 to prevent spam?

Has anyone found that the setting of certain server security options cause a degradation that required them to be set off again (such as Check IP against DNS Blackhole List)

Under 2.0 one of the mods I used to prevent spam was the excellent Spam Words mod and tbh I almost feel scared to go live with 3.0 without a ported version of this mod which I am surprised that so far a request for a ported version of that has not been made.

Ida

Re: Anti Spam measures and experiences

Post by Ida »

For me, spam stopped dead when I switched to (vanilla) phpBB3.
{<§ Gamall Wednesday Ida §>}
-> phpBB 2 <-> 3 smilies packs convertor (to convert your old packs) ; GaTeX: An ASCII Document Formatting System (to create clean readmes easily, for instance) ; Hiding Glyph: Bytewise Image Steganography (Hide any files into a bitmap image)

AnotherUserName

Post by AnotherUserName »

phpBB3 is much better preventing SPAM than it's predecessor, not a single Spambot has registered since the upgrade :mrgreen:

matgallis

Post by matgallis »

I haven't used rc1 yet in a large scale setting but for 2.0 I blocked open proxies from being able to register. It worked like a charm

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

Haven't seen any spam on phpBB 3 forums other than few spam posts entered manually. In phpBB 3 memberlist and profiles aren't visible to guests and search engines, so registration spam is pointless and bot authors seems to understand that. :D
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme »

also worth noting that the CAPTCHA will not have been crackered yet, therefore there is a chance that spam will come back, but like CyberAlien said, it would be pointless for them.
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

Ida

Post by Ida »

It is more than a chance, just a mere matter of time, but for the time being we are quite safe... Let's enjoy it :D
{<§ Gamall Wednesday Ida §>}
-> phpBB 2 <-> 3 smilies packs convertor (to convert your old packs) ; GaTeX: An ASCII Document Formatting System (to create clean readmes easily, for instance) ; Hiding Glyph: Bytewise Image Steganography (Hide any files into a bitmap image)

Nothing is easy

Post by Nothing is easy »

In 2.0 I take all the recommended ani-spam measures including as I said earlier the Spam Words mod. The Spam Words mod proved a particular saviour at preventing attacks from competitor sites/forums and numerous other attacks that had slipped through the other measures.

Some 2.0 attacks from competitor sites are manual but others are clearly not input by a bot that registers/verifies and posts within minutes but instead by a standard data entry macro using a userid that registered and verified many weeks previously.

Anyway unfortunately there are no current plans for the Spam Words Mod to be re-witten for 3.0 so I am going to make a mod request for that as 3.0 features certainly won't stop competitor attacks.

Is anyone using the Check IP against DNS Blackhole List feature in 3.0? I'm intrigued to know what sort of difference it makes to response times.

bones13

Post by bones13 »

I'm running 2.0.22 and suffer a lot of spam registrations that I have to delete manually :evil:

I've looked at mods for 2.x.xx but I'm not an expert, and despite the instructions saying they are "easy" to install, they're not if you are an amateur like me.

Therefore how does 3.x.xx improve things, and does it have a registration field that you can manually set, e.g. to ask a personal question that a bot can't answer??

Also when will 3.0 be released as the latest full version??

Thanks

Frodosringfinger

Post by Frodosringfinger »

I've had no spam at all...yet.
I dont know how the spambots get stopped really. Its just the normal captcha isnt it?

christhatsme

Post by christhatsme »

Frodosringfinger wrote:I've had no spam at all...yet.
I dont know how the spambots get stopped really. Its just the normal captcha isnt it?
the phpBB 2 captcha is used if your system doesn't support the new one ;)
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Ida wrote:It is more than a chance, just a mere matter of time, but for the time being we are quite safe... Let's enjoy it :D
Agree 100%, as the protection gets more sophisticated so will the bots. Registration spam may not be an issue however I've no doubt posting spam will be. Most of the spam posted by bots is easily spotted however they rely on volume, they are well aware that most of the posts will be spotted but also know that some will not. If they can they will and once they figure a way through the front door it's going to become a problem.

They could always ratchet it up a notch and implement something like the forum AI mod I requested here:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 519&hilit=

I'm pretty sure I've even conversed with one on a forum once :o . The key there is you can teach the bot, if for example you wanted to post spam to a video forum you could "teach" it about video. Be much harder to detect because you'd be going by instinct or would have to pick up on little nuances. Could be your just talking to a stupid person. :lol:

This is one of the reasons I'm a firm believer in asking a question for registration. The registration for my forum is quite simple, I have a paragraph with underlined word in it, the answer is the underlined word. Of course if everyone used the same system it would easily be defeated. Bots can't get by that now and I could always adapt my question in the future.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

bones13

Post by bones13 »

thecoalman wrote:
This is one of the reasons I'm a firm believer in asking a question for registration. The registration for my forum is quite simple, I have a paragraph with underlined word in it, the answer is the underlined word. Of course if everyone used the same system it would easily be defeated. Bots can't get by that now and I could always adapt my question in the future.
Which mod did you use for this as it sounds good??

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Note that it's for phpbb2: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

The paragraph part was my own doing, I just added it to the template
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

ab9db

Post by ab9db »

I want to add some regsitration questions,

I can add some in phpBB 3, but I cannot seem to make the answers determine whether registration is a success.

I want to add 2 questions as security, either the users gets them right or registration is not achieved. Can that be done? Sounds like people have done mods for 2.0.X, so would be surprised if that was not allowed in phpBB 3.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”