PHPBB3 Slow ...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
kensplace

Re: PHPBB3 Slow ...

Post by kensplace »

Not noticed any speed problems yet, in fact its running nice and fast, even on a cheap godaddy hosted site.

If it can run on a godaddy site, and they are sloooow, with good speed, then its good to me!
acid7711

Post by acid7711 »

+1 for self owned dedicated servers :D w00t.
azzurri

Post by azzurri »

I have defenitely noticed a performance change to the negative. It takes a second or two before all the graphic settles before you can actually do anything. Its like the page freezes during loading images. Phpbb2 was quick as hell, PhpBB3 is not. I hope someone will solve this performance issue in the future.
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

That sounds more like a problem with your browser.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

I've a small board on a shared host, and phpBB 3 is noticeably faster (even with all of the "Load Settings" turned On in the admin panel) than phpBB 2. :D

Kudos to the devs for developing a top notch web app.
RickBeckman.org | The Fellowship Hall – Diversity-friendly Religious Forums
TRICHES.FR

Post by TRICHES.FR »

I do think it ;ight be a browser thing ...

Are you using firefox ? Because i am using ie7 zhich goes through loads of security mesures, zhich might be slowing dozn the proces ..
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

iWisdom wrote:phpBB3 is actually a little slower than phpBB2 (on smaller websites), but it performs and scales much better on larger websites.
i don't believe this is really the case.
i think a more accurate statement would be: "prosilver is slower than subsilver / subsilver2".
with phpbb2, as long as the site is small (and as long as you don't have MODs: many of the MODs are poorly written, with significant detrimental effect on performance), this advantage translates to faster loading, especially of the index page.
however, if you switch phpbb3 to subsilver2, my experience is that it is faster than phpbb2 for any size board.

of course, i might be wrong in this assessment, so the best thing to do, imo, if you encounter performance issues with phpbb3, would be to install/enable prosilver2, and try to see if the performance issue is present with the older template.

if subsilver2 does not demonstrate the same performance problem, it is still not clear-cut: personally, i think prosilver is worth the slight performance degradation price, but in any event, phpbb3 with subsilver2 is better then phpbb2 with subsilver in any possible respect, including performance.

just my 2c. if you find that i'm wrong here, please let us know.
romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

Why would prosilver be slower? Its styling is done via cacheable CSS, there are no tables (which take longer to display than table-less designs), and so on.
RickBeckman.org | The Fellowship Hall – Diversity-friendly Religious Forums
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

romans1423 wrote:Why would prosilver be slower?
this question makes a lot of sense, and is worth some investigation.
however, i would formulate it a bit differently:
1) instead of "Why would prosilver be slower?", ask "Is prosilver indeed slower"? to answer this question, the best thing to do is to find a phpbb3 board which shows slowness with some server/browser combination, install/enable subsilver 2, and see if the performance improves.

after conducting this experiment, you'll know if i'm just a BSer, or maybe prosilver is indeed slower.

2) assuming you'll find that the answer to (1) is "yes", the next question isn't "Why would prosilver be slower?", but rather, "Why is prosilver slower?".

once you (or anyone else) know the answer to either (1) or (2), please enlighten us all.
comuter

Post by comuter »

It is not just you phpBB3 is a drain on the server, has bad user interface, and is very very slow even without any modification. On the same server which is optimized to handle large load phpBB2 is flying while phpBB3 is slow as a snail and ugly as a skunk.
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

phpBB3 is a different product, so there are different things that can go wrong. Simply stating that phpBB3 is slower than phpBB2 in general just because it runs slower on your setup makes no sense whatsoever. If you just want to vent your frustration, don't bother. If you want help troubleshooting, I suggest you open a topic in the support forum; maybe there are people there that can help you. In general, it is reported that phpBB3 actually runs quicker than phpBB2.
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

This board has over 3 million posts, over 500000 topics and over 350000 users and is reasonably fast... Other bb s/w support boards are not that huge so there is no comparison. But even if we find such boards using other bb s/w you again cannot be sure, since it is highly dependable on the hardware..

My own board is not small ~300000 posts (~800MB db) and is significantly faster than it was before the conversion from phpbb2.(That I can compare since it is the same server)
At least on my localhost, where I keep my phpbb2 as it was before the conversion and a last week clone of my live converted to phpbb3 forum, I see no real difference between them (but keep in mind that the v3 forum is ~25% larger now)
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

Well a little irrelevant but I discovered just today a really huge phpbb2 board:
Our users have posted a total of 15957834 articles | We have 1414417 registered users
Most users ever online was 8594 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:25 pm
In total there are 2356 users online :: 2100 Registered, 68 Hidden and about 188 Guests
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ok, there is always a possibility that the concurrent connections list is fake, but browsing through the board I thing that the number of posts are not far from the truth.
I mean wow, ~16 million posts? And that board I assure you, is freaking fast :shock:
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

If this is the board I think it is, then the board has numerous modifications installed to make it faster, especially designed for its size.
Roberdin
damsprivate

Post by damsprivate »

nope phpbb3 is just fast . the problem is maybe the prosilver theme . :(
thats why im suggesting a theme framework not a full theme . :) .
prosilver it self have many httpd request and images maybe we should think about it .
hmm :mrgreen:
binus university 2009 .
"did u know that 17 august ( when i join this forum ) is at Indonesia independence day ? "

Return to “phpBB Discussion”