PHPBB3 Slow ...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Roberdin

Re: PHPBB3 Slow ...

Post by Roberdin »

Images will be cached client-side. Having resources (style sheets, Javascript) in external files rather than included in the page means clients can cache them. This is more efficient.
Roberdin
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

The number of http requests is important, even if stuff is cached. I've been doing some testing with CSS sprites, and actually seen 10x better page load times. Even with the browser cache, clients send requests to the server checking if images/files have been updated.

Bunding css files and images in general is a good idea, but not always. It takes a lot of testing to make sure you are not really hurting performance.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

ChriZathens wrote:Well a little irrelevant but I discovered just today a really huge phpbb2 board:
Our users have posted a total of 15957834 articles | We have 1414417 registered users
Most users ever online was 8594 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:25 pm
In total there are 2356 users online :: 2100 Registered, 68 Hidden and about 188 Guests
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ok, there is always a possibility that the concurrent connections list is fake, but browsing through the board I thing that the number of posts are not far from the truth.
I mean wow, ~16 million posts? And that board I assure you, is freaking fast :shock:
I think I know the board you're talking about :twisted: and if so, it's phpBB 3 and yes, it's very fast!
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs
damsprivate

Post by damsprivate »

Brainy wrote:The number of http requests is important, even if stuff is cached. I've been doing some testing with CSS sprites, and actually seen 10x better page load times. Even with the browser cache, clients send requests to the server checking if images/files have been updated.

Bunding css files and images in general is a good idea, but not always. It takes a lot of testing to make sure you are not really hurting performance.
well yes . phpbb does use css sprites but maybe in a separate files :) ( icons for :hovers ) . the styles theme should work on it , and bundleing css +images files = prosilver isnt easy for modification :) . but u are right . its time designers to think about performance .
binus university 2009 .
"did u know that 17 august ( when i join this forum ) is at Indonesia independence day ? "
Zore

Post by Zore »

I have no problems with phpBB3 either.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

damsprivate wrote:but u are right . its time designers to think about performance .
Then use Lynx. ;)
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Dog Cow wrote:
damsprivate wrote:but u are right . its time designers to think about performance .
Then use Lynx. ;)
Yikes overly bloated, netcat is ideal for performance surfing. :ugeek:
Chris SmithGitHub
coolor

Post by coolor »

I think vb is fast than phpbb3.
phpbb3 user
vb user
RS premium user
W4r3z u53r
GOOGLE user

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

coolor wrote:I think vb is fast than phpbb3.
LOL. vB is such a heavy web application, it is just inundated with pointless JavaScript and flashy Ajax that do nothing but slow down the user experience. phpBB is light and fast, I ran it on an old server with 128mb of ram and a 480 mhz processor. It ran lighting fast, someone who was 3000 miles away testing the website wondered if I had a quad core because the server was responding so fast. It was all phpBB, it runs super efficient.
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

SyntaxError90 wrote:
coolor wrote:I think vb is fast than phpbb3.
LOL. vB is such a heavy web application, it is just inundated with pointless JavaScript and flashy Ajax that do nothing but slow down the user experience. phpBB is light and fast, I ran it on an old server with 128mb of ram and a 480 mhz processor. It ran lighting fast, someone who was 3000 miles away testing the website wondered if I had a quad core because the server was responding so fast. It was all phpBB, it runs super efficient.
Not to mention the vB backend code is a total mess -- they also only support MySQL, which is not very well suited to larger sites (I've heard that postgresql works better for larger sites, due to scalability reasons).
damsprivate

Post by damsprivate »

ToonArmy wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:
Then use Lynx. ;)
Yikes overly bloated, netcat is ideal for performance surfing. :ugeek:
haha nice one . no colors , no design , nothing .. :cry: . well maybe its good when im testing my theme seo :roll: . but still im blaming phpbb defult theme prosilver :geek: . .

about postgresql ? yeah , especially when oracle buy-out sun , it fells like oracle is better then mysql somehow .
binus university 2009 .
"did u know that 17 august ( when i join this forum ) is at Indonesia independence day ? "

Return to “phpBB Discussion”