One installation, many boards

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
MedMan

One installation, many boards

Post by MedMan »

I would like to run multiple boards on one web site, each with an entirely different set of forums and members. Is it possible to share the basic files between multiple boards to make updating simpler, or does each board have to be completely independent.

Is the answer the same or different for 2.2?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: One installation, many boards

Post by thecoalman »

Not entirely what you want but you can use the same installation by setting up sub-forums. Each sub forum can have it's own style to distinguish it from the others which would make it appear to be separate. If you need to restrict access you can set up usergroups for each sub forum. Instead of having to register for separate forums they could instead register once and request permission to join the usergroup.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Try
man ln
If you can hardlink directories in your lunix distribution or in apache config it can be done very easily, only a matter of the config file.
Systems Engineering
Hood15

Post by Hood15 »

use htaccess to get a bored id like http://www.yoursite.com/_community/3/ would be forum 3, in the config file do like if ($_GET[forum_id]) { sql info for forum 3 }

Let me know if you don't get what I'm saying.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”