Can phpBB handle an intergrated news page?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Alweth

Can phpBB handle an intergrated news page?

Post by Alweth » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:52 pm

So, I am considering using phpBB for a site that will focus primarily on the forums. However, I would like the default page to be a blog-like news page that displays the first posts of topics from the announcements forum. If possible, I would like this to integrate seamlessly with the forum. Questions:

Does phpBB have an option to do this by default?
If not, is there an existing mod that would do this?
If not, does the MOD system allow for something like this do be done, and if so, how easily? (I am proficient with PHP, HTML, CSS, and MySQL. My question is about how much work would be required to make such a modification.)

Thanks for your help!

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Can phpBB handle an intergrated news page?

Post by Phil » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:54 pm

phpBB can handle it, but it's not included by default. You may want to look into one of the various portals available (check out the MODs in Development forum). If one of those doesn't work, then just code your own.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Drexion
Former Team Member

Re: Can phpBB handle an intergrated news page?

Post by Drexion » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:45 am

Alweth wrote:My question is about how much work would be required to make such a modification.
Almost none, as portals are popular, and there are already teams developing them for you - there are quite a few phpBB2 compatible portals available, and installing them is a simple task.
Many phpBB2 forums use portals (the most popular phpBB2 portal is probably ezportal.)

Note though that since phpBB3 is quite new and still in RC, most of the portals for it (such as phpBB3portal) are still in the beta stages of development, as mentioned before search the mod development forums for updates etc.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”