RSS and 3.0

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Re: RSS and 3.0

Post by Jim_UK »

theMezz wrote: That really does not answer Jeff's question ....
How about.
"phpBB3 is feature frozen" (this has been stated over and over again)

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

theMezz

Post by theMezz »

We understand it is a frozen feature and will not be included.

I think we may be asking the question the wrong way perhaps...

We like to know why a decision has been made to not include such a popular function in the new release. I am very curious to understand why so many features WILL be included yet something as popular as RSS will not be.

Thanks for your time.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Not being a developer I do not know the answer to that but there is an almost identical topic to this (look lower down 1st page of topics) where someone has suggested that it may be that when phpBB3 was in its earlier development stages that RSS was nowhere near as popular as it is now.
Perhaps if they were just starting out on it now that it may be included.
I am sure that if one of the developers see this topic they will give you an answer.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Jeffro2pt0

Post by Jeffro2pt0 »

Thats fine and dandy. But I would at least like to know if RSS is being considered as an additional standard feature for a later version of PHPBB. In all honesty, how could it NOT be?
Please visit my blog about stuff at Jeffro2pt0.com

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

I agree that RSS would be a good feature to have since many people use it and it would be a useful feature. (And I consider it somewhat of an extension to the topic notification emails -- both let you know about new content so RSS IMHO falls in the same feature category.) However, 3.0 is indeed feature locked so it won't be added. Feel free to suggest it for 3.2 when the feature tracker opens. I'm sure many will second your request. :)
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Since they were almost identical, I merged two topics on RSS.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

MewDragon

Post by MewDragon »

theMezz wrote:
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
Jeffro2pt0 wrote:I'd also like to know if simple RSS support will be added into PHPBB 3 final. If not, why?
No, because nothign else will be added into phpBB3 final that is not currently there.
That really does not answer Jeff's question ....
I think the answer is that due to how long it's taken for 3.0 to get to a gold release stage, and given conditions prior to it being feature frozen, simple RSS support will NOT be added into PHpbb 3 final. Why not? Such support constitutes an additional "feature", and no more features are going to be added. Development's focused on getting things fixed, getting all the kinks out so that we can go gold. It is 'conceivable' that at some point in the future, for 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 or whatever that it could be added, it really depends on the demand from the user's. I personally don't use RSS feeds. It's a forum, not a site. And, there's always a mod for RSS support too, you can use that. Mods aren't really that hard to install so long as you're patient and know what you're doing, and imo, the diverse number of mods has been one of phpbb's best assets.

fberci
Translator
Name: Bertalan Fodor

Originally in the Community Coding Projects

Post by fberci »

If I remember correctly there was a community coding project that would add RSS functionality. I don't know whether there was any applicant but as far as I know it was stated that these features will go into 3.2. So there must be an intention to include RSS, only the developers don't have enough time to code all these features.

Anyway, hopefully there will be a decent RSS MOD for phpBB 3.0 like there is a fairly good one for 2.0.

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

There was such a Community Coding project. Said project hasn't produced any useful code, however.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

suisu-jin

Post by suisu-jin »

But a very useful code is available... well, you guys can make it available by just releasing the php-file you use to show the announcements in RSS.

I would really appreciate that; it's exactly what most people would need (e.g. in the knowledge base).
«I've always followed the rule that anything worth doing is worth doing excessively.» (Robert Parker)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”