post content on the left, and user info on the right?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
drkknght

post content on the left, and user info on the right?

Post by drkknght » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:36 pm

i'm pretty new to phpbb, and just as new to phpbb version 3.

i was just curious as to why the postbit (screenname, avatar, post #, etc) appears on the right hand side. i dont recall ever seeing another message board feature the post content to the left of the user info.

is this just something to set phpbb aside from the rest? do you guys prefer one way or the other?

and, last and perhaps more important, is there an easy eay to reverse the user info and post content, so that the user info is on the "more traditional" left-hand side?

much thanks for any help you can offer (i've found these boards to be unbelievably helpful so far)
ToonBarn.com
for all your cartoon needs

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: post content on the left, and user info on the right?

Post by KevC » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:41 pm

I think the reason was that most languages read left to right. You come to the forum to read the content of the post so the first thing you see, and the most important, is the post content, not who wrote it. So the post content is on the left.

I must admit I didn't like it at first. A week later and I was completely used to it. Now I don't think twice about which side the profile is on. A mod on my forum had exactly the same reaction.

You can move it back to the left by following this
http://www.easytutorials.org/prosilver_ ... _side.html
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

drkknght

Post by drkknght » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:12 pm

much appreciated, kevin

i do agree with you, that content is priority and really "should" be on the left. however, i'm a stickler for consistancy (as are my board members), and we're just so used to seeing everything reversed. its much easier just to keep user info on the left than to field 1,000 whiney complaints from the peanut gallery ;)

thanks again for the info!
ToonBarn.com
for all your cartoon needs

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:32 pm

phpBB has always tried to be a trend setter ... just you wait for the copycats! :D

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:30 am

(a) OMGAR PAUL!!!!1!!1!!
(b) As per the original question, and was said before, it's more or less an effort to give phpBB it's own visual identity. It's more or less a "make the product distinct" thing -- proSilver was designed to be different and special, and by {$DEITY}, it is :D
(c) @psoTFX: There are already proSilver ripoffs in development for multiple forum systems already :D I think I've seen the smileys elsewhere too :(
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Gaming Bob

Post by Gaming Bob » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:53 pm

I like the post on the left, puts more emphasis on the content rather than the profile. Makes it easier to skim the content.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:58 pm

There are already a number of topics discussing the left / right orientation, including the "sticky" in this forum titled "First Impressions". I suggest that you have a look there and if you have anything new to add, use that topic. Thanks.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “phpBB Discussion”