Running RC4 live - good or bad idea?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Galacticstatic

Running RC4 live - good or bad idea?

Post by Galacticstatic » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm very interested in running RC4 live, then converting to RC5 or gold when released.

Has anyone else been doing this from earlier release candidates? How has that been going?

What are the risks?

(I am sure this has been discussed, but I have not been able to track down such a topic.)

Thank you!

Galacticstatic :geek:

phdrummer

Re: Running RC4 live - good or bad idea?

Post by phdrummer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:18 pm

From what i've noticed, the risks are very minimal to none if you make constant forum backups. I find phpbb3 much more efficient than phpbb2. Try it out in a test environment to see the new features and decide if its wort h it.

Galacticstatic

Post by Galacticstatic » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:59 pm

phdrummer wrote:Try it out in a test environment to see the new features and decide if its wort h it.
I have, and I love it. I know I want to make the switch.

I guess I'll give it a whirl then and hope for the best when it's time to convert/upgrade. I'll just stay away from modifying except for some small style changes.

Thank you.

NeuroDoc

Post by NeuroDoc » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:16 am

Are you starting a new forum or upgrading a previous forum?

If you are starting new, I wouldn't hesitate to start with RC4. I have been running phpbb3 since RC1 and it's been nothing but stable. Mine is a small board (45 users, 3000 posts) and everyone likes it better than 2.0.22 that I was running before.

If you are upgrading, then it can be a bit more difficult if you have any mods installed. If not, then again, I wouldn't hesitate in upgrading to RC4. As you will find in all posts with regards to upgrading, make sure you have backed up everything (into 2 separate spaces if you're as OC as I) before you begin. It's not hard to upgrade, but just in case something beyond your control happens (power spike, hd failure) you'll need those backups. If you have a heavily mod'd 2.0.22 board then upgrading to phpbb3 is going to be hairy no matter if you do it now or wait until gold.

If you make style changes, create your own style, that way when you upgrade anything changed in the default style won't interfere/overwrite your style.

Good Luck!

Galacticstatic

Post by Galacticstatic » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:29 am

NeuroDoc:
Thank you for the tips.

I am upgrading from 2.0.22, but I already worked out the hairy problems. I lose avatars and some smilies, but that's no big loss here.

:geek:

Ambis

Post by Ambis » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:04 pm

I ran RC1 on a 250 messages/day forum for about 1½ months without a single clitch. Yesterday I updated to RC4 without much problems. I made a full reinstall and updated styles by hand (added adds etc.)

Everything seems to work just fine.

Man, I love phpBB3 as much as I hate phpBB2. Which is a lot.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”