Official phpBB Podcast! (Episode 7 is live!)

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
03swalker

Re: Official phpBB Podcast!

Post by 03swalker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:52 pm

It's professional but maybe you were a bit harsh on the editing side.

You don't get much sense of personalities or banter between the members - this makes it feel very impersonal - which is ironic considering that this forum is generally known for its personalities and banter between members and staff alike.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:18 pm

Madmachine wrote:It's nice to see there's finally an official phpBB podcast now. Nice job guys!
This is a good start. Hope to see more topics featured from now on!
Feel free to make suggestions. That’s why this topic is here. ;)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:23 pm

03swalker wrote:It's professional but maybe you were a bit harsh on the editing side.

You don't get much sense of personalities or banter between the members - this makes it feel very impersonal - which is ironic considering that this forum is generally known for its personalities and banter between members and staff alike.
Interesting. We'll try and keep that in mind for the next episode.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

steavieleeking

Post by steavieleeking » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi! I would like to hear about ajax and javascript effects in phpBB3. Specially how mod developers should make a good use o ajax/javascript capabilities in phpBB3, and how developers should introduce new ajax libraries in their mods.

thanks!

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:43 pm

great idea :ugeek:

first version was really good, though I have some suggestions to make:

the discussion of cookie problems was to long, in my opinion...
I would prefer some more topics about how to create a mod for phpbb, since many people how run phpbb (at least) know the basics of php) so I would be quite interesting to have a closer look at creating mods yourself :D

but as I said, great idea 8-)
(how did you made the interviews, did you had a face-to-face communication???
Julius

Nocek

Post by Nocek » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:57 pm

Will there ever be guests appearing on the show? Because I have a few to recommend.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 pm

steavieleeking wrote:Hi! I would like to hear about ajax and javascript effects in phpBB3. Specially how mod developers should make a good use o ajax/javascript capabilities in phpBB3, and how developers should introduce new ajax libraries in their mods.

thanks!
Funny you should ask that, I just finished up some AJAX for a style author. I'm also working on a few MODs that make extensive use of client-side technologies, such as JavaScript, Flash, etc. We could definitely spend some time discussing that. :)
JuliusCaesar wrote:great idea :ugeek:

first version was really good, though I have some suggestions to make:

the discussion of cookie problems was to long, in my opinion...
I would prefer some more topics about how to create a mod for phpbb, since many people how run phpbb (at least) know the basics of php) so I would be quite interesting to have a closer look at creating mods yourself :D

but as I said, great idea 8-)
(how did you made the interviews, did you had a face-to-face communication???
I'll start backwards. :P We used Skype to do the recording. Simple and free. ^_^ Well, the software to record Skype conversations isn't free, but eh. As for how to create MODs, we might do some simple stuff (see above, for example), but if you start discussing lines of code on air, it could be a real turn-off. Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Interesting that you mention the cookie discussion, because when we started off on it, we thought it'd be 30 seconds, tops. Turns out we were wrong. :P
Nocek wrote:Will there ever be guests appearing on the show? Because I have a few to recommend.
We plan to have guests, yes. By all means suggest 'em. :)
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

x-fi6

Post by x-fi6 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:46 am

Can you make a podcast system like you made for yourselves? :D If not, will you let me make one using the template you used with your podcast? I'll put ALL copyrights and ownerships etc where all is due. I won't sign my name anywhere on it at all, etc.
My site (along with a bunch of others') is:
http://www.zeldacastle.com/index.php
for just in case you need it. ;) Thanks.

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:40 am

x-fi6 wrote:Can you make a podcast system like you made for yourselves? :D If not, will you let me make one using the template you used with your podcast? I'll put ALL copyrights and ownerships etc where all is due. I won't sign my name anywhere on it at all, etc.
WordPress + podPress + proPress Template :D

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

x-fi6

Post by x-fi6 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:24 am

Hehe, thanks! :D
My site (along with a bunch of others') is:
http://www.zeldacastle.com/index.php
for just in case you need it. ;) Thanks.

mamba

Post by mamba » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:51 am

Podcasts are a very good idea. Please keep going with them. 8-)

Some comments and suggestions for improvement:
  • have fewer people on at a time, then you won't have people interrupting each other so much.
  • discuss the obvious issues, like how to plan to migrate an existing ver2 forum to ver3, including running ver3 as a test forum alongside the stable ver2 forum, then how to switch over etc. This is what 90%+ of the users of phpbb are thinking about, not about the arcane issues you raised, like COPPA.
  • try to define ideas before launching into a discussion about them, eg. with Jabber, you started talking about it without first saying what Jabber is. Don't assume everyone is on the same page as you technically. On the other hand, the intro to COPPA/COPA was too drawn out and the explanation too thorough. I had to fast forward through it.
Using 3.2, PHP version 7, MySQL 5.5, Host: hostgator shared Linux, Style: Prosilver

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:34 am

It's great to see that you guys started doing a podcast again, and now it's even official. :P
Techie-Micheal wrote:
03swalker wrote:It's professional but maybe you were a bit harsh on the editing side.

Interesting. We'll try and keep that in mind for the next episode.
That's actually one of the things that made the other podcast so special. ;)
As someone already mentioned, it would be nice to see Meik come in as a guest, as well as other members of the development team.

Thanks again for bringing this back. :D
Need help with MOD/style installations or other phpBB problems? Contact me for a quote.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:47 am

Technie-mical wrote:I'll start backwards. :P We used Skype to do the recording. Simple and free. ^_^ Well, the software to record Skype conversations isn't free, but eh. As for how to create MODs, we might do some simple stuff (see above, for example), but if you start discussing lines of code on air, it could be a real turn-off. Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Interesting that you mention the cookie discussion, because when we started off on it, we thought it'd be 30 seconds, tops. Turns out we were wrong. :P
skype is a really usefull tool :ugeek: :ugeek:
but I didn't know that there is a softwere to record skype conversations :?

I'm not asking for going to much into detail (i.e explain some possible source code) but
  1. What do you have to think of when creating a mod?
  2. Which files/variables are important?
  3. How do you create the SQL tables for a mod (i.e coulumn names, primary keys....)?
I think these questions are the basics to answer, and I think it wouldn't be to difficult,would it ;)

BTW:The cookie disscusssion was good (don't get me wrong on this ;) ) but I think (as a non-modding listner) this disskussion was to long,there are more important things than cookies :)
Julius

kjvc

Post by kjvc » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:35 am

hi, nice job and congratulations, i have some questions what are the server requirements for the podcast? and is it possible for vidcasting?

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:56 am

The Server requirements is just like hosting any other audio file on your server. If you have a lot of traffic or bandwidth restrictions, obviously you’re going to need a more powerful and dedicated hosting space, such as Clustered Hosting, Virtual Private Server, or Dedicated Server.

You do have to remember that podcast episodes tend to be quite large, since they are on average 35 - 70 minutes of length, they can eat up your bandwidth really fast, so unless you deliver to a small number of folks, you are going to have to watch your bandwidth and keep it in mind for the server hosting plan that you have or plan to get.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”