Making phpBB3 Mobile Compatible

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Melshimber

Re: Making phpBB3 Mobile Compatible

Post by Melshimber » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:17 pm

It would be nice if this could be added as a feature to future phpBB versions. The mobile browsing is going through the roof and I surf my forum every day on the way to work. . . . quality.

JeffF

Post by JeffF » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:01 pm

I did try this solution and it seems to have no effect on my blackberries. I have an 8310 running Blackberry OS v4.5.0.102. My other one is a Blackberry 8800 running Blackberry OS 4.2.1.79.

Both are running BLACKBERRY EMULATION mode for the browsers.

If I bring the page up in WAP mode... no difference at all... looks the same as in blackberry browser mode as it auto-switches out of wap mode (don't know how it determines that).

I flushed the cache in the ACP so I'm not sure what is going on with it all.

Caver Dave

Post by Caver Dave » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:47 pm

ptex wrote:Great mod Alighieri!!! It works perfectly!!! 8-)

Agreed! However, it's now retarded *some* of the browsers capable of rendering the board normally... specifically MY iPhone3G! :cry:

Any way to have it catch the mobiles OTHER THAN the iPhones?

TDave00

Post by TDave00 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:27 am

Is there someway to make the site accessible using a subdomain? For example, m.yoursite.com . Then you could have your mobile stylesheet applied only for that subdomain. I guess you would still have to determine which browsers are mobile and redirect accordingly.

superj707

Post by superj707 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:17 am

great.. I want to try this.

tank71

Post by tank71 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:12 pm

I can browse my forum just fine using my blackberry storm. I can do just about every forum function, that i can do on a computer on my phone. It just takes a little bit more time...

Forum browsing on a cell phone is defiantly something i like the ability to do. It really does have a future, i believe. Mobile browsing is only going to get faster, easier and more convenient. Newer phones have very intuitive user interfaces. Its only going to get better ;)
TANK71 -- USAF Active Duty

Captain Jim

Post by Captain Jim » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:40 pm

I am using mtheme that has been discussed in other threads. It works great. The issue I'm having is that after the 3.0 iPhone update the smileys appear very large. If I could that fixed it would be great. You can visit my site if you would like a preview. It automatically detects your mobile device.

http://jimmydreamz.com/forums

newsbee

Post by newsbee » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 pm

I've installed a mobile style (STG-Mobile Style) from startrekguide.com/. It works!

You can use it as a lite version when using a computer or as a mobile one when using a mobile phone, iPhone or other mobile devices. On one board, I've installed automatic recognition of mobile devices, on the other I've just installed the style. Minimum change of core code is required to make the mobile style functional.

mrsjprice

Post by mrsjprice » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:00 am

newsbee wrote:I've installed a mobile style (STG-Mobile Style) from startrekguide.com/. It works!

You can use it as a lite version when using a computer or as a mobile one when using a mobile phone, iPhone or other mobile devices. On one board, I've installed automatic recognition of mobile devices, on the other I've just installed the style. Minimum change of core code is required to make the mobile style functional.
I agree, I am using this one. It is very easy to install and to get it working. great!

liverd69

Post by liverd69 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:52 am

I implemented this and it works great under the prosilver theme. But I set my boards to use a subsilver-based theme the style.php edits no longer seem to make any effect. I've cleared the style/tempate caches and also purged the board cache. I may just not know enough about theme writing yet =)

Any ideas?

charley

Post by charley » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:47 pm

newsbee wrote:I've installed a mobile style (STG-Mobile Style) from startrekguide.com/. It works!

Where can I download that mod?

newsbee

Post by newsbee » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:09 am

startrekguide.com

timoyuen

Post by timoyuen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:53 am

this setting is great, but would like to know, is there any ways for user to choose "normal htheme" or keep to old one, which is up to them? Now seems to be everybody will switch to iphone theme but some of our user said prosilver is better

newsbee

Post by newsbee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Users can choose any theme they want. Its just a regular style, the only difference being that when you enter your board address with a phone, the lite version is loaded automatically. I've made a link to "normal" version at the top - ?style=2 (for instance).

forumspro

Post by forumspro » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:36 pm

As far as forum browsing on the iPhone or iPod Touch, I've been eager to find a good solution for that for a while. I worked with a developer and came up with [removed]. Hopefully it helps out some of your users on the frontend. If you'd like, send along some feedback on our site so we can make the next version better.
Last edited by tbackoff on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link - http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule1k

Return to “phpBB Discussion”