Making phpBB3 Mobile Compatible

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
dkgibson

Re: Making phpBB3 Mobile Compatible

Post by dkgibson »

Alighieri wrote:mysql_real_escape_string()
Yeah, thought of mentioning that, but then I would probably want to mention that each DB apparently has a specific call to do essentially the same thing. You should use "mysql_real_escape_string()" on MySQL, "pg_escape_string()" on PostgreSQL, and only if the PHP library for someone's DB doesn't have an equivalent call, should you use "addslashes()".
I don't answer private messages on topics of public interest, because it defeats the whole purpose of a message board.
luccrook

Post by luccrook »

This is a great idea. Do you have more detailed instructions on how a phpBB novice could do this?
ZoMtEc

Post by ZoMtEc »

take a look @ http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/php/ wurfl is a large xml with lots of device specific informations...

$myDevice->GetDeviceCapabilitiesFromAgent($_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]);
$myDevice->is_wireless_device

but i would prefer to use an xhtml wap theme. it is possible to select this wap theme in style.php when a mobile phone is detected without causing any performance problems, isn't it? perhaps this would cause some cache problems?!
Jaztar

Post by Jaztar »

Is this solution available for phpBB2?

If not, can some please guide me in the right direction, without having to switch to phpBB3.
Alighieri

Post by Alighieri »

Yes, you can implement a similar solution for phpBB2, just add a condition around the stylesheet includes that only returns true if it is not a mobile device. I suggest looking through the overall_header.tpl file and the includes/page_header.php file.

Has anyone created a style that is specifically geared for mobile devices? I'd like to put one up on a subdomain, like m.mysite.com - just copy in a config.php file from my official board, and replace the style with the mobile style.
mikechreptak

Post by mikechreptak »

I'm new to modding phpBB without following instructions. I tried sticking the code in the 1st post in style.php and wrapping everything else in an IF check, but it didn't have any effect. Where is style.php called from?
James Stockwell

Post by James Stockwell »

Im new to phpbb and i have made a style that fits perfectly to my phone is there anyway of making it so that it will put me thought to a different style?, or workout that if i go to mobile.******.co.uk then it will put me thought to a different style?

thanks
rwbronco

Post by rwbronco »

bump. I'd really like to have it detect mobile users and change styles accordingly or just remove all formatting and let it see what the phone wants to do with it.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

rwbronco wrote:bump. I'd really like to have it detect mobile users and change styles accordingly or just remove all formatting and let it see what the phone wants to do with it.
Either create a JavaScript browser detection function that writes the template/style out or, if your template is simple enough, just try using the CSS Handheld media support.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
kozen

Post by kozen »

Hey guys,

did someone created something convenient that can be used for mobile browsers?

I can't understand why this is not part of phpBB anyway - it must be a pretty highly requested feature :)
NMI

Post by NMI »

My blackberry 8700 handles phpbb3 forums without a problem. No special coding needed. for me that is
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson
Alighieri

Post by Alighieri »

For mobile devices, I created a special subdomain for our site with its own installation of phpBB3 (minus the customizations), and then commented out all of the conditions in styles.php (so no stylesheet is generated).

For browsers that need no special configuration (real mobile browsers), they can continue to access the full version of the site (since you do all your customizations in standards-based XHTML+CSS, right?), while older non-standard browsers (WAP, etc.) can point their browsers to our mobile subdomain.
freeworld2000

Post by freeworld2000 »

With a subdomain for mobile devices, does that mean user needs 2 login id, 1 for mobile domain and the other for full version? Does that also mean when you are in mobile version domain, you can't see posts that are in full version domain?
Abaweet69

Post by Abaweet69 »

No because you're using the same database.
newsbee

Post by newsbee »

For version 2 there was a subLite version that didn't show any images inside messages or in signatures ond avatars, there also was a mobile version too.

It seems no one in the phpbb3 community need these features. It is unfortunate because many people around the world still use slow internet or cellphones to access forums and it would be really good to have such options.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”