Very Dissapointed in Phpbb3 Module System

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
allanhardy
Registered User
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:20 am

Re: Very Dissapointed in Phpbb3 Module System

Post by allanhardy »

OK, I guess this is officially hijacking this thread
and while I am a proponent of phpBB over vBull
but speaking strickly from a a F/OSS perspective, and not phpBB in particular,

The 'cost' stack of an F/OSS acquisition/use/shut down is often over looked. F/OSS is free as in free puppy, the costs start when you get it home, upkeep, etc etc.

I am the F/OSS evangilist so to speak for a very large defense contractor and often see the $0 initial acquisition costs leading people down the wrong path with unplanned expenses down the road.

So I agree with the users generic statement about F/OSS and costs, though not with the illustrative example of labor/ resource hours with phpBB versus vBull.

Ok, retuen to the regular station.

Oh, and I have the honor of having to install VBull now for a non profit I support, they hired a consultant tnat promoted vBull over phpBB - mostly on security reasons, how phpBB had a worse record (which it did) etc. I do hope Olympus is pretty strong in the security area, much more so then the mod area.
User avatar
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Name: David Lewis
Contact:

Re: Very Dissapointed in Phpbb3 Module System

Post by Highway of Life »

allanhardy wrote:I do hope Olympus is pretty strong in the security area, much more so then the mod area.
It went through a strong Security Audit performed by SektionEins.
The MODs do not directly reflect phpBB in any way, they are there as a courtesy to our users.
phpBB is developed by a small group of professional programmers, whereas the MODs can be coded by any range of people from professionals to 10year old who is learning to program for the first time. These MODs are normally held on third-party sites, and the MODs in development forums on phpBB.com
MODs that are validated into the phpBB.com MOD database, however, go through a line-by-line Code Inspection for security, bugs, and stability.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
stevefree
Registered User
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:21 pm
Location: http://www.petpost.org
Contact:

Re: Very Dissapointed in Phpbb3 Module System

Post by stevefree »

Well, it looks like my comment sparked additional thoughts which is exactly what I wanted. I'm looking forward to see what new tools are released to help make phpBB even easier to use and enhance and overall a better and better product.

Thanks all (especially to the DEV’s who have volunteered thousands of hours to make phpBB what it is today!) Your contribution is recognized and appreciated.

-Steve
User avatar
Zaid
Registered User
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: South Pacific Ocean

Re: Very Dissapointed in Phpbb3 Module System

Post by Zaid »

utomo wrote:When I read first the title, I guess there will be somebody hate it.
but when I read the content, it look like he want to suggest improvements to make the phpbb easier for more people.
it is actually a good ideas, so user can easier to add mod, and have a powerfull phpbb, as they wants it. without need to change many code.

but if it is already think and will be better in phpbb3, I hope it is true. and more people will use phpbb and also the mod, and it is easier to use.

good luck
I am not a fan of systems that require code hacking in order to achieve a result.

I totally Agree, the guys suggesting improvements that LACK in the current software.
Server Load and all that ? well.... you have to give out something in exchange for something else most of the times..

what happens is we update our boards then comes a update to your phpbb software that we go to update and we are stuck with errors and hours of wasted time, All the time installing and fixing could have been avoided by a simple Plug in system.. Well as some one said

this is phpbb, if you want a plugin system board(which is a million times better idea anyway) try a different board software... Which I think many of us are most likely to do, specially after most of you being a bunch of stuck crowd ....

Modules and plug-ins .. is a better system than modifying existing code, user friendly and time saving..this is not even an argument, this is a fact. and if you disagree then there's no point to even discuss about it..
User avatar
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant
Posts: 19511
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:11 am
Location: In your servers

Re: Very Dissapointed in Phpbb3 Module System

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Highway of Life wrote:
allanhardy wrote:I do hope Olympus is pretty strong in the security area, much more so then the mod area.
It went through a strong Security Audit performed by SektionEins.
The MODs do not directly reflect phpBB in any way, they are there as a courtesy to our users.
phpBB is developed by a small group of professional programmers, whereas the MODs can be coded by any range of people from professionals to 10year old who is learning to program for the first time. These MODs are normally held on third-party sites, and the MODs in development forums on phpBB.com
MODs that are validated into the phpBB.com MOD database, however, go through a line-by-line Code Inspection for security, bugs, and stability.
Nevermind the internal security team which has proven to be useful. *cough*
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29294
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: Very Dissapointed in Phpbb3 Module System

Post by Marshalrusty »

For those who did not notice, this topic is from years ago...
Zaid wrote:Modules and plug-ins .. is a better system than modifying existing code, user friendly and time saving..this is not even an argument, this is a fact. and if you disagree then there's no point to even discuss about it..
"I'm right, you're wrong, and if you disagree, you're wrong" is quite a fantastic argument. Well done.


What you're talking about requires major changes to the codebase; it's not just something that can be added overnight. Secondly, the current system does have pros. For example, you really can't get more efficient than adding code in-line.

Now, there's definitely a sweetspot between the two, and we do have plans for adding a package manager to phpBB in future versions. You seem to be somewhat angry, however, and I wonder why that is. After all, phpBB is a project run by volunteers and we can only do as much as we can do. If you feel that you have the skills to help, then why not do so? Instead, you bump a year old topic without adding anything useful to it, forcing Micheal, me and all the other people who will respond after me to take time off from doing constructive things in order to address your rant.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”